Why become a member? ×

Coffee shop combo: Mibass? GK MB112?

solo4652

I'm still in the market for a small, light, cheap, powerful, reliable combo (aren't we all?!) for "coffee shop" gigs alongside an acoustic guitarist and singer.

What about the mibass combo? - now £300 (reduced from £700!): [url="http://www.soundsliveshop.com/p/Ashdown_MiBass_220_110_Bass_Combo_Amplifier/ASH-MIBASS-220-110"]http://www.soundsliv...-MIBASS-220-110[/url]

Can't seem to find any reviews on the web. Anybody got one? Any good?

Or there's the GK MB112 for £249: [url="http://www.soundsliveshop.com/p/Gallien_Krueger_MB_112-II_Bass_Combo_Amp/GK-MB112-II?CAWELAID=1834946507"]http://www.soundsliv...LAID=1834946507[/url] which gets good reviews, has a 12" rather than a 10" driver, is lighter and cheaper. Hmmmm. Might be answering my own query here...

Steve

Edited by solo4652

I wouldn’t use small gear on small gigs. IME it never sounds as good as bigger gear on small gigs.

I use one of my 112 cabs with my regular 600 watt amp on acoustic gigs.

I get more headroom and a better tone as a result.

Well my Markbass Mini CMD121P is 350 watts at 8ohms, and is plenty enough in my 8-piece band. Yes, it`s a fair expense, but it`s very light, powerful, and sounds great (imo).

With this in mind, and if only intending to use the combo without an ext speaker, I`d look at a 12inch speaker rather than a 10. Unless spending mega-bucks, not sure a 10 would be enough.

If you're doing "acoustic" gigs without a kit drummer, a good 10" is easily enough. I regularly use a 1x10" with drum kit in pubs, though in a bigger room or with louder electric guitarists I'd want more. The GK does look good value though, and if it's lighter than the Ashdown there's no real downside for portability.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1363269148' post='2010730']
If you're doing "acoustic" gigs without a kit drummer, a good 10" is easily enough. I regularly use a 1x10" with drum kit in pubs, though in a bigger room or with louder electric guitarists I'd want more. The GK does look good value though, and if it's lighter than the Ashdown there's no real downside for portability.
[/quote]

It'll be a 4-piece: Singer, "acoustic" guitar + BVs, cajon (possibly miced)/other hand percussion, me on bass/another cajon, depending on the song. We're targetting smart wine bars and decent pubs. We even have a traditional Tearoom interested! So, not loud, low faff, quick and easy in, and out. For larger venes, I'll use my GK MB500/Barefaced Compact rig

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1363264700' post='2010635']
I wouldn’t use small gear on small gigs. IME it never sounds as good as bigger gear on small gigs.

I use one of my 112 cabs with my regular 600 watt amp on acoustic gigs.

I get more headroom and a better tone as a result.

[/quote]

If you wanna downsize further, I bought a little GK MB200 amp; together with a light 112 cab, its a great solution, and more flexible than a combo amp.

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1364465676' post='2026786']
If you can get hold of a good Ibanez Promothean 5110 Combo you'd be laughing, it'd suit your needs perfectly!
[/quote]

Well, I got a new P3110 from Thomann and it lasted 20 minutes before dying. Its replacement lasted longer but wasn't loud enough - 150W or so on its own (300W with an extension speaker. So, I'm sort of off Prometheans at the moment.

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1364582773' post='2028553']
Well, I got a new P3110 from Thomann and it lasted 20 minutes before dying. Its replacement lasted longer but wasn't loud enough - 150W or so on its own (300W with an extension speaker. So, I'm sort of off Prometheans at the moment.
[/quote]

I meant the older model, which is about 300W at 8 Ohms, I think, and I also said "a good one" as there were a lot of faulty versions of that too.
I've not heard of anyone keeping hold of their P3110s though, they all seem to be shoddy, but the P5110 model, assuming its a good one, is amazing! It'll be a long time before I part with mine :)

Eude

[quote name='JPJ' timestamp='1364665764' post='2029477']
For the "coffee shop" gigs you describe, you'll not do better than a PJB Briefcase IMHO
[/quote]

Thats a very good call!
Markbass have just announced a MiniMark 802 Combo too, http://www.markbass.it/product_detail.php?id=241 - might be worth a look?