Why become a member? ×

March Mix Competition - Its Voting Time Again!!!!

51m0n

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1364478351' post='2027014']
Well done Si! Sterling work in getting these all downloaded and re-uploaded, etc.

I'd advise putting a big, fat link to the SoundCloud page in the OP of this thread. Took me a while to find the link in other posts. But then I am a bit thick :)
[/quote]

The link is there in the OP, I may make it more big and fat - like me :D

I would just like to say before any voting goes on, I really really liked this song, loads of changes, light and dark and dynamics etc (awesome voice on your snger by the way CT!) and would have loved to have more spare time to spend on it this month. Quite upset that I didnt, I normally wouldnt let a mix at this point in my 'process' see the light of day (before any automation at all on mine - ye gads!), but a deadline is just that, and I did feel I was starting to take the mick, since everyone else (even Skol ffs!) had got their mixes in....

Really liked working with the drums in the end too, embrace the spilllage and enjoy a 'real' space. I think the OH were probably too far off the kit for best results, but thats picking hairs it was all quite workable in the end (and yes the hihat mic stayed in on mine!)

I've listened to them all a couple of times, and by gum theres some stiff competition in there as it goes!

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1364502574' post='2027481']I would just like to say before any voting goes on, I really really liked this song, loads of changes, light and dark and dynamics etc (awesome voice on your snger by the way CT!) and would have loved to have more spare time to spend on it this month. Quite upset that I didnt, I normally wouldnt let a mix at this point in my 'process' see the light of day (before any automation at all on mine - ye gads!), but a deadline is just that, and I did feel I was starting to take the mick, since everyone else (even Skol ffs!) had got their mixes in....[/quote]

Haha, I see I'm developing a reputation for being late to the party :D All true!

Ditto your comments about the track Si. I really enjoyed having a play with it and it grew on me lots during the process - I found myself humming it at work for days.

Cheers for setting up the anonymous voting this month mate. An inspired idea and something I think we should continue with.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to listening to them all over Easter...

Well done everyone! Good effort this month :)

Just checking... I hope I'm right in taking the order at the top of the mixes to be that of the reverse alpha beneath..? That's to say: the leftmost is 'H', followed by 'G', through to the far right, with 'A'. It's too late if it's wrong, as I've voted, but a strange qualm came across me all of a sudden. Any confirmation, Si..?

I think so. I found that if you let it play through, and opened another browser tab, then in Firefox at least the currently playing mix title is displayed in the soundcloud tab. Which meant should listen at work and 'mark up' a track as good really easily.

I noticed that about B too, which I thought was a rather odd omission, I really liked the singers voice, accent, and phrasing, wouldnt want to leave out a single bit, I wonder if it was just a simple mistake on the render rather than a definite decision to prune it out?

Whoevers mix it is, don't answer that yet!

I've voted... B does have a good drum sound, but it's all drums! While it's a nice ego trip for me being the drummer, I didn't think it was as well balanced as some of the others.

There's some really creative stuff on these mixes. It makes me regret not playing about more, especially with the intro.

[quote name='butlerk02' timestamp='1364651115' post='2029226']
I'm not saying which letter my mix is, but I think I'm missing some vocal parts too. We're some stems added later on or all together at the same time?
[/quote]

the stems were all together , but the main vocal was split over at least a couple of tracks IIRC

[quote name='moonbass' timestamp='1364656393' post='2029301']
I think some of the vocal and other parts were recorded incredibly quietly so they were easily missed(!) I had to normalise some stems to get them to a usable level. Cracking tune though.
[/quote]

Sorry about that, he has such a range, going from quiet breathy parts to mental screaming. After watching the video Si linked I'll be recording two tracks at once, 20db apart, and then editing those together.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1364905748' post='2032374']

Sorry about that, he has such a range, going from quiet breathy parts to mental screaming. After watching the video Si linked I'll be recording two tracks at once, 20db apart, and then editing those together.
[/quote]

George M is a clever cat isnt he :D

The results so far only show that you get what you pay for, I didnt put in much time this month and havent got much in the way of votes either. Oh well :D

I am slightly concerned that the voting is tending to go toward the loudest (ie overtly comrpessed/limited on the 2 buss) mixes, which I wanted to avoid. Its human nature, loudest is best kind of thing, but it doesnt mean they are the best mix necessarily (ie at exactly equivalent volume they may actually sound rather weaker due to this kind of processing).

This may well be sounding like sour grapes, I assure you it isnt, I am more than happy for someone else to 'win' this kind of thing, (as long as they disclose exactly what they did to do so, "Mwahahahahaahaaaaa!"), especially when I only got as far as a rough mix by my standards (although I think I nailed the intro vibe absolutely bang on, even if I do say so myself, and there arent too many level blunders going on in my mix)

However B has got some awesome drums sounds, need to find out if they were beefed up with samples and how come the cymbals sound forward on it when the OH mics sound like they are in a different room from the kit :D I had some idea to rectify this using the room mics to 'subtract' the room from the OH (using god know what FET noise reduction type nonsense) but time wasnt available to even experiment unfortunately.

Fascinating stuff though....

did you think the drums sounded distant on my original mix?

I thought the intros were all very good actually. It was the one part of the song where everyone put something creative on to it, and where I initially thought I'd differentiate between them, but after listening at home (adjusting my fader as I went :-p ) I had to go for the one which had an OK drum sound and was well balanced overall.