Why become a member? ×

Modding a CS-3

d-basser

I read somewhere (but damned if i can find it) that you could change the value of the input capacitor on a Boss CS-3 to make it more suitable for bass, at the moment i like what it does for the upper end but it saps the low end right out.
I was wondering if anyone had the details of this mod? I wont be attempting it myself but i need to know what it is that needs changed and what it should be changed to.

thanks

Dan

I'm not sure if it's quite as simple as just replacing a capciator but here's some info I managed to find -

[url="http://www.ev-b.com/compressors.html#cs3"]Compressor Review[/url]

[url="http://www.monteallums.com/Product_links.html"]Mod Kits[/url]

Try a google search for "Boss CS3 capacitor bass" and see what else ytou find

• 3 weeks later...

I found a nice modding website [url="http://www.indyguitarist.com/"]here[/url], if you register you get the option to buy a lengthy pdf with loads of mods. I've paid my money (about £7), and can confirm there are a few CS3 mods in there.

I don't think it would be right for me to just post the info on here, since this chap has clearly invested a lot of time in the info he sells, and he's certainly not ripping people off.

Suffice to say, If I wasn't happy with my Art Levelar, I'd be looking for a CS3 on ebay to give them a shot

[quote name='Toasted' post='3506' date='May 21 2007, 11:34 AM']I disagree. Strongly. Behringer is cheap and nasty.[/quote]
I disagree. Have you had one fall apart? I have had no problems with Behringer pedals. I use a Behringer BLE100 Bass Limiter Enhancer, not because I can't afford anything else, but because it evens out the dynamics, its dead easy to use and it sounds very transparent - I agree that its inexpensive, but it certainly does not sound nasty.

All the time I was looking for "the perfect compressor" I should have been looking for a limiter. The BLE100 enables me to retain dynamics when playing lighter but evens out the louder parts without making the bass sound obviously processed. It feels solid and weighty enough despite the plastic casing and has so far served me well for over a dozen gigs and countless rehearsals since I got it and it is still as good as new.

Have a look at the Monte Allums conversion.

[url="http://www.monteallums.com/Product_links.html#CS3Opto"]Monte Allums Website[/url]

Apparently the Monte Allums CS-3 Opto is SUPURB for bass. Compressors really work well for bass players. You can 'tweak' the sound to the right amount of 'attack' to give a punchy sound or use the CS-3 as a 'limiter' to 'smooth' and 'mellow' the sound...... very nice!

There is also the details of a chap in the UK who does the conversion see details below.
[email protected]
The CS-3 Opto mod is £29.00p inc Mod Kit, Fitting, 'Signed for' Return Postage and Packing and full insurance.

Edited by Adee

• 1 month later...

[quote name='RichardH' post='30790' date='Jul 12 2007, 04:25 PM']I've just picked up a CS-3 cheap on eBay, and also got hold of the Monte Allums kit. I'll do some recordings of before and after, should it be of interest.[/quote]

my guitarist has just bought one on the premise that I'll do the mod for him :) - at least I'll get to try it out tho

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting. I'm after a new compressor and my next-door neighbour who is a guitarist bought a cs3 on ebay and he hasn't found a use for it yet. He's just offered it to me for £28 (what he paid for it). Gonna go for it and get the opto mod kit :) Big squeeze for little cash.

Edited by clauster

[quote name='Toasted' post='3506' date='May 21 2007, 11:34 AM']I disagree. Strongly. Behringer is cheap and nasty.[/quote]?

have you ab'd them with each other? you'l find the behringer is far better, how many have you owned that have broke?

I'd be happy with Behringer pedals - they are cheap, but not nasty. They are to effects what swatch are to watches. At the price they do what they do pretty well, when they go wrong just throw away and buy another one.

Boss are the other way around - don't sound that great for the price (I had a boss comp 20 years ago and all it did was add hiss and remove bass), but are built like tanks. Great thing is they can be modded to sound great. With my used used cs3 and monte allum mod I'll have a great comp that'll sound great and last decades.

Edited by clauster

I've been looking at the Monte Allums mods for a while but never got round to getting a CS3. It'd be great to have a listen to your clips.

Re: Behringer (Sorry, I hope this doesn't turn into a hijack). EVERY piece of Behringer equipment I've owned has broken ON A GIG. I will NEVER buy Behringer again for live and touring work; it's just not worth it in the long run. I've had to replace everything.

DaN

• 4 months later...

[quote name='clauster' post='108544' date='Dec 23 2007, 01:46 PM']Finally ordered the monte allum kit - went for the opto plus.

Reviews to follow asap[/quote]

i'd be very interested to hear how it sounds after the mod...i've had one for years, and apart from using it to coax lots of feedback out of my telecaster i find it almost entirely useless.

at the very least i'm intending to change the input cap to stop it sucking bass.

If all goes to plan I'll be posting 3 audio clips -

1) Standard cs3
2) After the opto mod
3) After the plus mod

You'll be able to judge for yourself whether the mods make a significant difference. I've had the cs3 for a months so a for few quid it's worth trying to get to sound a bt less crap.

Right, just finished updating to opto spec (plus stage is still to be done) but I'm really happy with it as is. If anyone is thinking about doing this mod and is reasonably competent with soldering iron (or has a mate who is - DO IT!)

Review to follow when I've been able to try it at VOLUME :)

Edited by clauster