Why become a member? ×

NBD - Lakland content

thumbo

This ere' DJ4 arrived yesterday, it required a thorough setup when it arrived but now it's playing sweeet! :) My original intention was to get a DJ4 and then sell the DJ5, but they're totally different basses and I'm enjoying them for different reasons. The DJ4 has Lakland pickups and sounds punchier than the DJ5 which has Aeros, however the DJ5 has a J-Retro which is a mighty pre-amp. I've been veering away from active basses in the last couple of years but the J-Retro has been quite an eye opener, the variance in tones I can get from that bass is impressive.

I need to get the white scratch plate off this bass though, not my cuppa tea! Does anyone have a DJ4 scratch plate ideally in black or just in a darker colour that they'd like to sell or swap?

Two lovely basses . I personally like the white plate on a black DJ , and as a rule I dont normally like the black bass /white plate tuxedo colour scheme combo , but for some reason on that bass it looks right to me . These are lovely looking basses . Lakland ( and Alby Balgochien ) did the seemingly impossible with these in that they took the Fender Jazz Bass and made it even sleeker and even sexier . I am a big fan of those Hanson pickups too - they are some of the best sounding on the market and a great mixture of punch and warmth with a really big in-your-face sound .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1362654228' post='2002722']
...I dont normally like the black bass/white plate tuxedo colour scheme combo, but for some reason on that bass it looks right to me.
[/quote]

I think the maple/white blocks and the black headstock carry it. Class!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1362654325' post='2002725']
I think the maple/white blocks and the black headstock carry it. Class!
[/quote]

It probably looks so good because the white plate picks up on the pearl white of the blocks , giving it some kind of unity . That's it then - the white plate stays whether the fella likes it or not !

Cheers guys :)

I actually do like the white plate more than I thought I would, however, it's seeing this bass that made me realise I'd like to change it... http://basschat.co.uk/topic/33216-lakland-darryl-jones-4-blackblackmaple/

[quote name='thumbo' timestamp='1362654858' post='2002745']
I actually do like the white plate more than I thought I would, however, it's seeing this bass that made me realise I'd like to change it...
[/quote]

Heh, black's good too! :) Never been a great fan of black and tort, though.

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1362671294' post='2003152']
Love it. Quite fancying a DJ 4 myself. To go with my Bob Glaub :)
[/quote]

I had a pang of GAS for a Bob Glaub this morning, they look great and judging by how much I like the feel of the DJ basses I think a Glaub would be right up my street.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1362655233' post='2002753']
I am not keen on the black plate myself , but the tort is very , very nice . Lakland get Jeanies Pickguards to supply just the right shade of tortoise shell i.e not too red and not too brown .
[/quote]

Tort with rosewood, black with maple.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1362686949' post='2003444']
Tort with rosewood, black with maple.
[/quote]

I don't like any Jazz Bass in black with a black scratchplate myself , probably because it reminds me of mid to late 70s Fenders which was not my favourite era for those basses . Funilly enough though , a black Precision with a black plate like I see in you gear list you have yourself looks great to me . It would take a psychiatrist to get to the bottom of why different people think different colour /scratchplate combinations look right .:

The new Lakland Geezer Butler Signature model . That is a rockers P Bass for sure .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='thumbo' timestamp='1362698191' post='2003708']
Does anyone know where my best bet is to get a scratch plate from? - Is it jeannies?
[/quote]

Jeanies make the plates for Lakland and are happy to ship internationally , and according to DaveBass5 in another thread last week , they worked out cheaper than getting a plate custom - made here in the U.K when he wanted a plate making for his Lakland .

Looks like Jeanies it is then :) I've taken the white scratch plate off it and I think a black plate is the way to go on this one for me. I said to my girlfriend "What do you reckon, white plate or imaginary black plate?" and she said "I don't like the white, but what about a pink sparkly one?".

[quote name='thumbo' timestamp='1362654858' post='2002745']
Cheers guys :)

I actually do like the white plate more than I thought I would, however, it's seeing this bass that made me realise I'd like to change it... [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/33216-lakland-darryl-jones-4-blackblackmaple/"]http://basschat.co.u...lackblackmaple/[/url]
[/quote]

That looks well cool. I'd get the black one :-)

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1362823084' post='2005169']
Look no further than our very own Bass Doc for all your pickguard needs. Drop him a PM and he'll sort you out for a very, very reasonable cost. Cheaper than Jeanie's, I'll bet.
[/quote]

Will do! I've just noticed he left a comment on my wanted ad for a scratch plate.

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1362858844' post='2005504']
I love the geezer bass. Want!
[/quote]

If you see it close up it has got a super- figured piece of rosewood for the fingerboard , as well as the cross and the Sabbath inlay . It's a U.S.A only model at the moment though , I'm afraid .

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1362866066' post='2005686']
That's a lot of money for a bass with someone else's bits on it :/
[/quote]

Myself personally , just a regular Bob Glaub/ 44-64 or a Duck Dunn is more to my taste , but I am a big Geezer Butler fan - he was one of my inspirations to take up playing the bass in the first place - so I am always interested in what bass he is playing . I remember waiting outside Sabbath's hotel with my mates when I was twelve years old trying to get their autograph before my first ever Sabbath gig and Geezer's tech getting two Zero Haliburton aluminium flightcases that must have had Geezers BC Rich basses in them out of his car and walking into the reception of the hotel with them and being really excited by that .