Why become a member? ×

Do you reckon you could write a hit pop song?

xilddx

We've got a few songs the guitarist and I have written and discounted from teh set for being too 'poppy'. We were talking about how they would suit an X Factor wannabe and we should demo them in that manner.
Whether they'd be hits is another matter entirely.
Interesting exercise.

What's TAXI?

While I was giving blood this afternoon they were playing all the old 'power ballads' from the '80s. All gated snares and warbly white women with massive hair. And I noticed a lot of the hooks were actually really weak, a lot of the singers didn't get any power in the high notes, a lot of the choruses resolved really poorly, but I remembered all of those tunes charting.

I came to conclusion that the most important aspect of a successful pop hit is the melodramatic lyrics that stupid and hopelessly single people can cry about.

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1362500700' post='2000264']
We've got a few songs the guitarist and I have written and discounted from teh set for being too 'poppy'. We were talking about how they would suit an X Factor wannabe and we should demo them in that manner.
Whether they'd be hits is another matter entirely.
Interesting exercise.

What's TAXI?
[/quote]

You should, you can clearly write good songs mate.

TAXI is a publishing intermediary. I heard about it ages ago and thought it might be a load of old pony but they seem legit. $300 to join so confidence and objectivity are probably good things to have before committing :)

[url="http://www.taxi.com/"]http://www.taxi.com/[/url]

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1362501052' post='2000272']
You should, you can clearly write good songs mate.

TAXI is a publishing intermediary. I heard about it ages ago and thought it might be a load of old pony but they seem legit. $300 to join so confidence and objectivity are probably good things to have before committing :)

[/quote]

I think we may use Soundcloud as the less expensive first step. We could team up and have a 'pop hits for hire' user group.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1362500067' post='2000247']
Realistically, do you think you could?
[/quote]
Easy peasy! It's the easiest thing in the world. I mean, the inane lyrics the predictable choruses. I could write half a dozen tonight in my sleep...

I just choose not to... I'm really not prepared to compromise my integrity.

:unsure:

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1362501052' post='2000272']TAXI is a publishing intermediary. I heard about it ages ago and thought it might be a load of old pony but they seem legit. $300 to join so confidence and objectivity are probably good things to have before committing :)

[/quote]

I'd be interested to hear what kind of success TAXI had already - i only scanned the site so far.

My other half's B-I-L has written a few very commercial songs but can't get a foot in with anyone of note. Had a couple of almost was's and no-hopers promising him God-status - for a half credit of the writing they had sod all to do with. I thought Payola was long gone.

Nope, a lot of very self important musicians act as though they could rattle of as many hit pop songs as they liked if they were so inclined, but such empty frivolity is beneath them, they are "true" musicians and people who don't appreciate their music are uncultured philistines.

The reality is that writing a song that literally millions of people will enjoy immediately is an incredibly difficult task. Just one personal touch could alienate half of your potential audience, one note or an unorthodox key choice could change the mood of a riff or hook and suddenly a lot of people won't like it. That's why a lot of the very successful modern pop albums are designed by committee, to smooth out everyone's influences to a marketable, accessible average. Take a look at the credits for Adele's "21", 7 writers and producers for 10 tracks (discounting the Cure cover).

So no, I couldn't write a hit pop song, and even if I could, I definitely lack the industry contacts and experience to get it recorded, as do most people.

[quote name='bobbass4k' timestamp='1362502298' post='2000304']
Nope, a lot of very self important musicians act as though they could rattle of as many hit pop songs as they liked if they were so inclined, but such empty frivolity is beneath them, they are "true" musicians and people who don't appreciate their music are uncultured philistines.

The reality is that writing a song that literally millions of people will enjoy immediately is an incredibly difficult task. Just one personal touch could alienate half of your potential audience, one note or an unorthodox key choice could change the mood of a riff or hook and suddenly a lot of people won't like it. That's why a lot of the very successful modern pop albums are designed by committee, to smooth out everyone's influences to a marketable, accessible average. Take a look at the credits for Adele's "21", 7 writers and producers for 10 tracks (discounting the Cure cover).

So no, I couldn't write a hit pop song, and even if I could, I definitely lack the industry contacts and experience to get it recorded, as do most people.
[/quote]

I completely agree, and I get quite bristly when people say it's easy, inane, beneath the serious musician etc. You can still say a lot of good stuff through a pop song, and there are some magnificent pop songs out there that epitomise great writing, lyrics and energy.

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1362501844' post='2000290']
Easy peasy! It's the easiest thing in the world. I mean, the inane lyrics the predictable choruses. I could write half a dozen tonight in my sleep...

I just choose not to... I'm really not prepared to compromise my integrity.

:unsure:
[/quote]

Are you being serious? I can't tell :)

[/quote]

Good question, which makes for a cool thread.

Realistically, whatever I'd write would almost certainly not become a hit.

The song itself might have many or all or the characteristics needed, but there's such a vast area between the corner of writing something and the corner in the distance where a song becomes a hit.

But yes, I'd write a song that is hummable enough, gets the foot to move enough and that is special enough to not be just another bland nothingness. Sadly, it would still not become a hit, realistically.

best,
bert

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1362501960' post='2000293']
I'd be interested to hear what kind of success TAXI had already - i only scanned the site so far.

My other half's B-I-L has written a few very commercial songs but can't get a foot in with anyone of note. Had a couple of almost was's and no-hopers promising him God-status - for a half credit of the writing they had sod all to do with. I thought Payola was long gone.
[/quote]

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TAXI_(A%26R"]http://en.wikipedia....iki/TAXI_(A%26R[/url]) (probably written by TAXI :))

Interesting downer on TAXI [url="http://passivepromotion.com/12-years-with-taxi"]http://passivepromot...years-with-taxi[/url]

[color=#111111]" You might consider joining Taxi if:[/color][list]
[*][b]You want to sign with a label[/b]. If you’re young and attractive with a radio-friendly sound, a large following, verifiable sales, and touring experience, Taxi might be able to hook you up with a label. But with all that going for you, do you need one?
[*][b]You write songs solely to pitch to other artists[/b]. Taxi provides opportunities you won’t find on other “tip sheets,” and they seem particularly well-connected in the country music industry.
[*][b]You want to earn a living through film and TV placements[/b]. If you’re disciplined enough to write cues to spec, day in and day out, and treat it as a job, you can make a lot of money after a few years. Check out their [url="http://www.youtube.com/user/taximusic"]video series[/url] on the topic. You’ll want to sign up for Taxi’s Dispatch service to receive daily last-minute requests from music supervisors.
[*][b]You want to get better[/b]. The cost of membership might be justified purely as an educational expense. The conventions, called Road Rallies in keeping with the automotive theme, are top notch. Song critiques are a mixed bag. I’ve had the same song get 9′s and 10′s on one critique, and 5′s and 6′s on another. That’s the subjective nature of music. I don’t take any particular criticism seriously until I see it more than once.
[/list]
[color=#111111]If you’re thinking about signing up, be sure to [url="http://www.taxi.com/"]check the listings[/url] first to make sure the industry wants what you’ve got. "[/color]

Edited by xilddx

It's something I am going to try over the next few months, write what I think are three commercial songs, and sign up to TAXI and see what happens, just for fun :)
[/quote]

Don't most pop songs just stick to a common progression using F G A and C? I don't think i would have the skills or knowledge to produce it, But i could probably write a progression and bassline for it. So no, i couldn't write and produce a pop song entirely by myself.

I'd be willing to say yes, I could write it however, it probably wouldn't ever get published, if it did it wouldn't be the same, I could see it being taken and changed just a bit here and there but it wouldn't be the same. Only little changes would just change the whole song.

However POP music is very changeable, for instance 60s and early 70s POP music was Rock, current POP music is Dance/Hip-Hop sorta style, 5 years time who knows what will be the most POP genre?

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1362505183' post='2000372']
Don't most pop songs just stick to a common progression using F G A and C? I don't think i would have the skills or knowledge to produce it, But i could probably write a progression and bassline for it. So no, i couldn't write and produce a pop song entirely by myself.
[/quote]
You forgot E in there too ;) So many pop songs are in the key of E major!

I think writing a catchy hit song is the hardest thing to do when it comes to pop music . As I once heard Paul McCartney say , you can send people to music college and teach them all the rules of composition but you can't teach them how to write Happy Birthday To You or Twinkle Twinkle Little Star . Creating something immidiately memorable that inspires people or catches their imagination is magic ticket to success ,fame and wealth and if it was that easy then everybody would be doing it . I don't think I could do it on my own , but I think I could collaborate with somebobdy else to produce something competitive . My dream would be to make a cheesy Europop hit that would get people dancing in the bars and clubs of the Meditteranean one summer . It would be a great feeling to know that people had contracted an STD whilst listening to music that I had created from my own imagination .

Realistically, do you think you could?[/quote]

Well, yes. Everything I've ever written was a hit, but the f***wit publishers / record companies / performing artists / record buyers couldn't get their tiny heads around songs about abbatoirs, pelican crossings and chutney.

Superb idea Nige! And I reckon you're just the man for the job. Seriously.

Could I do it? I'm not sure... probably not (that's my lack of confidence as a musician speaking there). A while ago I did think about creating a chart-friendly 'mashup' - recycling some old riff into a pop/dance number, a la Norman Cook (Fatboy Slim). But I lost interest.

Writing successful pop music is [i]definitely[/i] a lot harder than it seems, as I'm sure you well know, and that's one of the reasons why I'm an unashamed fan of 'good' pop music. It takes a lot of creative intuition to find that catchy hook, but like I said, I reckon you've got the right ear for it.

I'd be very interested to see how this pans out and happy to chip in any ideas, constructive criticism, etc, so keep us posted mate :)

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1362506097' post='2000390']Well, yes. Everything I've ever written was a hit, but the f***wit publishers / record companies / performing artists / record buyers couldn't get their tiny heads around songs about abbatoirs, pelican crossings and chutney.[/quote]

That genuinely made me LOL :lol:

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1362506097' post='2000390']
Well, yes. Everything I've ever written was a hit, but the f***wit publishers / record companies / performing artists / record buyers couldn't get their tiny heads around songs about abbatoirs, pelican crossings and chutney.
[/quote]
:D

Lyrics are the hardest part I reckon.

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1362505320' post='2000375']
You forgot E in there too ;) So many pop songs are in the key of E major!
[/quote]

But F isn't in the key of E Major, so therefore the pretty standard FGAC progression isn't in the key of E Major. I wonder why it is so common? Is it just nice to hear?

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1362506784' post='2000403']
But F isn't in the key of E Major, so therefore the pretty standard FGAC progression isn't in the key of E Major. I wonder why it is so common? Is it just nice to hear?
[/quote]

But what about lyrics? The chord progressions are the easy bit, the words and arrangement are the killers.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1362506097' post='2000390']
[/quote]

+1 to that but for me it was moshing on a zebra crossing how can that not have been a hit? :rolleyes:

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1362506884' post='2000407']
But what about lyrics? The chord progressions are the easy bit, the words and arrangement are the killers.
[/quote]

Yup, but i just listened to "Otherside" by RHCP and sang the "Double rainbow all the way across the sky" song over the top of it. Personally, i don't think i could write lyrics that would be accessible at all. But if you have a good place to start, and are a bit of a wordsmith, it probably wouldn't be too difficult.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1362504363' post='2000354']
Are you being serious? I can't tell :)
[/quote]
I've edited my post. ;)

FWIW I think to get on in anything in life, you have to have an awareness of your strengths and your weaknesses. Unfortunately, I am more than aware that writing hugely successful, international, Grammy award winning pop songs is not one of my strengths.

Sadly, my first foray into the world of songwriting (mid '80s) came to a sudden end. The chap recording my song, who was a well known singer and actor, a couple of weeks after recording the little ditty, promptly... died! :unsure: I have considered it my duty, since that day, to never to let any of my 'masterpieces' escape the confines of my 'studio'... my 'Pandora's Box' if you will :(