Why become a member? ×

Head Vs Heart

Edenburgh

I'm in the market for a special bass for one of those landmark birthdays (it's a 'happy birthday to me' present if you catch my drift)
I was pretty much in the Fender P-Bass frame of mind - either mid 70's (a '73 to match my birthday would be rather nice) or VR or CS - that's the heart bit.
The head bit is causing a distraction by saying 'Yamaha BB2024x'

So - heart says P-Bass. Head says 2024-X (I saw Marco Mendoza playing one with Thin Lizzy in Glasgow recently and it sounded ace).

Any thoughts or insights appreciated.

(I know, I know, this is not a great hardship of a dilemma to have but some of the 2024 reviews suggest it is like a super duper p-bass which got me wondering)

The BB2024X is one of the best basses on the planet . The build quality is as good as it gets , and the sound is to match . The Precision sound on the Yamaha will blow most Fenders out of the water , and it will do so much more besides . Through a big amp like your Ashdown rig the sound of the Yamaha will literally feel like it is hitting you in the chest . The sound is agressive but rich at the same time . It would take a very special Fender to match that .

Try a Yammy before buying. Not everyone gets on with all basses. I love Jazzes - except in my hands. But if you like the Yammy, well they certainly can`t be faulted for sound, playability or build quality, pretty exceptional in all categories.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1362006224' post='1994520']
Try a Yammy before buying. Not everyone gets on with all basses. I love Jazzes - except in my hands. But if you like the Yammy, well they certainly can`t be faulted for sound, playability or build quality, pretty exceptional in all categories.
[/quote]

Including price in the case of the 2024x / 2025x, unfortunately.

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1362037481' post='1994706']
Including price in the case of the 2024x / 2025x, unfortunately.
[/quote]

The Yamaha is a lot of money , but it is actually a bit of a bargain in terms of how much bass you get for that price . I would compare these Yamaha basses with the very best quality handmade American and British basses in terms of build quality and sound , and you won't find many comparable basses at the £2000 - £2500 price point . That's a very hefty chunk of change , but a U.S Lakland , Fender Custom Shop , NYC Sadowsky ect is going to set you back substantially more than that , especially with the pound falling against the dollar as it has done recently .

Here's the thing. It's a special birthday. You're only here once, at later birthdays you might not be playing, or not in a band, not up to it etc.

You don't want to disappoint yourself. See, in life, we know when we have settled for less. It eats away at us. Don't do it to yourself.

Accept no compromise. Nothing comes close. Fender USA Precision. Strap on. Rock.

What a weekend!
Friday evening sitting at home surfing with a beer and I found out about this London bass show. Easyjet flight for first thing Saturday was booked 30 minutes later. This trip certainly made for easy comparison of all models.

Heart : Tried out the Fender '58 and '63 vintage reissue models. From the secondhand stalls, tried out '69, '73 & '77 P-Basses.
Head : Tried out a Yammy 2024
Wallet : The 'special show prices' for the yammy and the 70's P's were comparable - the wallet no longer had a casting vote!

First off, the new Fender RI models are truly ace. Great build, great sound and the '63 had a significantly hotter output than the '58.

Next the Yammy - all that you say about this bass is true. It is awesome. Even the controls have a confidence inspiring quality feel, just turning the tone dial you felt like someone had spent time making sure it had the right amount of resistance (not too slack, not too tight, just right). The guys at the Yammy stall also offered to supply me with any colour (either 2024 or 2024x) and ship it to me at the 'special show price'. The Head (and the wallet) couldn't fault that. Nevertheless, I went on to try....

'73 P-Bass (we're getting into heart territory) - my birthday year bass. Ash body, Maple neck, looked the part, played great, sounded great. But. 1970's patchy Fender build quality made me have a long hard think about it. You see there was an overhang on the heel where the neck was just very badly aligned. About 3-4mm out. Didn't appear to impact the playability, but it was a niggle nevertheless.....so I walked on....

'77 P-Bass (staying in heart territory) - ash body, rosewood neck, black pickguard. A heavy bass compared to the '73. Great condition, thick sound. Played better than the '73. I'll be honest, it probably isn't quite as well set up as the Fender Vintage Re-issues - but I can fix that - because I bought it!

Heart - wins
Head - trying to argue that head still won because I didn't do something really silly like sell my SSII to fund a 60's P-Bass purchase!
Wallet - empty.

Great weekend, great show. And spoke to the nice lady from Basschat in the queue while we were waiting to get in.

Looks like a fine example of a mid - Seventies Precision . Andy Baxter seems to get the best selection of vintage basses of anywhere in the U.K . I hope you get a lot of pleasure from playing it . Let us know how it sounds when you have had a chance to get familiar with it .

Update...it was shipped today (there was no way I was taking it with me and putting it in the EasyJet hold, was there?) - should arrive by the weekend. Will provide a further update once we become accustomed. I've got a set of TI flats waiting for the arrival...
Once again, the warmth and opinions herein are appreciated and valued.

Pip pip.

Arrived yesterday (a day earlier than anticipated).

First the unglamorous stuff....
So far the work over the past 24 hours has comprised:
A good old clean (Brasso on the chrome, once over on the poly finish with some pledge and some Antiquax to freshen up the fretboard)
A wee tweak on the saddles reduced some buzzing on the second fret (a slightly suspect/raised 3rd fret is the root cause which might need some attention to properly fix the issue - but it is relatively minor and can be dealt with in due course).
Oh - and it would appear the previous owner smoked cigars. Lots of 'em judging by the aroma. How come I never noticed that last week? Not that it would have changed matters.

(None of the above are classed as gripes - just observations)

A set of Thomastik Infeld Flatwound strings have now been fitted - my oh my they do blow away the flats I've used before (Rotosound '77s)

How does it play? Chunky neck, but my other bass is the SSII 5 String - it's about the same in terms of width, but deeper (none of this has been measured scientifically). I spent the whole of last night playing Motown riffs with the tone rolled back to about 25% - thought I was Jamerson with the Funk Machine!. I found myself this evening doing picked Lynott riffs (tone rolled up to just below half).
It sounds a bit clunky with the tone anything over half - unless you thrash it hard to make yourself sound like Mike Dirnt (it does that sound quite well).

It is heavy. It weighs the same as my SSII - 5.

What can I say? It's a P-Bass. Seems to be a good 'un despite what you read about 70's Fenders (earlier in this thread I mentioned I tried a '73 and walked away because of build quality). Solid & versatile. I didn't get the cheapest deal for a '77, but I didn't get fleeced. And there's that little bit of assurance that I bought through a reputable dealer (Andy Baxter) - the difference between the 'show price' and the website price actually paid for my return flights...which is the justification I continue to mention to my good lady wife...

24 hours in (honeymoon period), all is well.

Looking forward to its first outing tomorrow at a rehearsal...