Why become a member? ×

New Jule Monique with Demeter 800w power amp - Could just be my 'perfect' amp!

molan

I've been really watching the development of the Jule Monique pre-amp for a while and it's been getting absolutely rave rave reviews from users over in the States.

I see they've now teamed up with Demeter to offer either a little power amp that fits perfectly beneath either of the Jule pre-amp designs or a fully integrated head with the Monique in the front end in either rack mount or standalone form factors.

Everything I've read about these suggests they could just be the 'perfect' amp for me!

A god friend has a Monique pre & I'm really excited to get a chance to try it out :)

Some pics:

Monique in Dove-Cage metal

Monique in funky bamboo!

Integrated 800w head

As Jule put it - All Tube, All Love :)

Also - check this review on just how good they are supposed to sound!

http://btpub.boyd-printing.com/publication/?i=118550&p=8

Edited by molan

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1361924157' post='1993298']
Everything I've read about these suggests they could just be the 'perfect' amp for me!

A god friend has a Monique pre & I'm really excited to get a chance to try it out :)
[/quote]

They do look rather nice, don't they? If you get the chance to try your friends one out, I'd be interested to hear how the voicing compares to your B15. The Jule is way out of my budget, but as I'm currently working on a DIY preamp based on the B15, I'm curious about their design approach. It looks like they may have a true Baxandall EQ rather than the James EQ of the B15.

I've been following the development of the Monique on talkbass alot to. I really dig the amount of versions available for such a small company it looks like ALOT of thought and user feedback has gone into this.

The price is in the higher end of things but I looks like you really are getting what you pay for, quality. As for tone it's been getting only good feedback and is very versital and would suit most styles.

I would love to get my hands on one and give it a try, and if i liked it I would pay the price. Stick this on top of a micro head into the effects return BOOM fat tone with a great DI, also you would still have the option of the micro head if you wanted:)

I have one. I initially got sucked in by the aesthetics, then one appeared on here in a pic of something else for sale and one thing led to another.............

I really like it. The killer blow for me is the sensitivity knob. I am useless at turning sound into words but it just makes the sound more vibrant/3D/dynamic.

I like it enough to shift a Demeter, Alembic, REDDI and and Aguilar on (it would appear that I have issues). That is not to say that the sound I like is the sound you like but it is doing it for me at the moment.

I had a small tech issue with it and Jule's customer service - remember, this is to someone who bought it second hand so he has not seen a penny from me - has been WAY beyond the call of duty. It has just been stellar. I cannot speak highly enough of it. It is a quality pre from a quality company.

[color=#000000][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]I am a lucky man: I have Monique for one year ago. She is excellent. The tone is magnificent. It's very similar to full tube amp ( SVT or B15 ) for the recordings. As my Monique is a first version, I am going to send her at Jule so that he adds the update's Monique ( drive the output" line level " with a 12AU7 + a potentiometer push / pull to increase the sound volume + 4 dB). In the parcel of return at my home, there will be also a Minnie 800D amp. B).[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]If you love the tone of full tube amps, I advise you Monique's purchase very highly. [/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]Furthermore, Jule Potter is a very professional, very passionate, and very nice guy. Concerning the works of Monique's update, Jule is going to make them free of charge. I shall have to pay out only for the sending of the parcel ( He offers me the expenses of the shipping return )[/size][/font][/color]

Edited by b'boom

Just to echo what others on here have said - I've had an extensive conversation with Jule and he's an incredibly professional and very personable guy with fantastic communications and customer care. He has a brilliant pedigree and stands behind his product absolutely. I too was attracted by the aesthetic initially, and by the incredible attention to detail, components and build quality. I nearly pulled the trigger but after hearing a couple of examples, I realised that the tone probably wasn't what I was looking for. In the end, I went down the Millennia route (i'd had a bit more experience in previous projects) - another company with great pedigree. That said, if you're looking for a full-fat, all valve option (and a fairly flexible bass pre), the Monique has to be high on the list.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1361999619' post='1994370']
I had a small tech issue with it and Jule's customer service - remember, this is to someone who bought it second hand so he has not seen a penny from me - has been WAY beyond the call of duty. It has just been stellar. I cannot speak highly enough of it. It is a quality pre from a quality company.
[/quote]

Just to update this for the record, it turns out that the tech issue I was having was with another piece of kit in my signal chain and the Monique was totally blameless.

• 4 months later...

[quote name='funkle' timestamp='1376511535' post='2175344']
Owen, have you tried the Monique with your IP310? If you have, what was it like?
[/quote]

I have. It is lush beyond. I am rubbish at explaining sound to cannot give you any of the usual patter about it sounding like [i]this [/i]or [i]that. [/i]It sounds great and it makes me happy. Is it the pre-amp for life? Who knows. Is it the pre-amp for now? Yes.

Just in case anyone missed my disclaimer earlier in the thread, the tech issue I was having was NOT due to the Monique after all.

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1376513320' post='2175400']
I have. It is lush beyond. I am rubbish at explaining sound to cannot give you any of the usual patter about it sounding like [i]this [/i]or [i]that. [/i]It sounds great and it makes me happy. Is it the pre-amp for life? Who knows. Is it the pre-amp for now? Yes.

Just in case anyone missed my disclaimer earlier in the thread, the tech issue I was having was NOT due to the Monique after all.
[/quote]

Thanks. I have just picked up an IP112ER which I am trialling out to see if it works for me or not...been trying quite a few stompbox pres like the Sansamp BDDI, the Aguilar ToneHammer, and even the Zoom MS-60B. Jury's out though I get perfectly workable tones and decent levels from all of them (the Sansamp probably could use a bit more boost but I am using the old version which doesn't have a voltage output selector for the outputs...I also find the Zoom sounds pretty good but is a bit fiddly without having access to all the physical controls in the same way as the Aguilar or the Sansamp....but I digress).

The IP112ER puts out a ton of bass in some rooms (me likey...my other cabs are Acmes) and there are times when you need to be able to tame it to stop it from turning into a wall of mush.

I have read that the Monique doesn't have any high pass filtering built in (Greenboy forums - Monique thread). I'm assuming the DSP from the IP112ER probably handles that...I think...so all I'd need to know is if the 'Bass' knob on the Monique, when used appropriately, can cut some of the boom whilst maintaining a decent low end. Any thoughts?

Thanks again.

Pete

Hey Pete, my other cab is an ACME as well! I have not massively noticed that the bass knob/boom issue - my guess is that the DSP of the IP has covered that. I will try and see to it next time i fire it up in anger. Sorry to be less than helpful.

I hear a certain bass dealer not a million miles from me has picked up the UK distribution and has a couple on order :)

Didn't specifically ask if a Minnie would work over here but I've been offered a price on them direct from the US and I'm pretty sure they would be happy to sell them if they didn't work here.

Pricing will match the cost of a personal import but with local support and backup over and beyond manufacturer warranty - plus, you can get to try them before purchasing :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1376517384' post='2175501']
I hear a certain bass dealer not a million miles from me has picked up the UK distribution and has a couple on order :)

Didn't specifically ask if a Minnie would work over here but I've been offered a price on them direct from the US and I'm pretty sure they would be happy to sell them if they didn't work here.

Pricing will match the cost of a personal import but with local support and backup over and beyond manufacturer warranty - plus, you can get to try them before purchasing :)
[/quote]
you luck[i]y[/i] b***vertizer. :yarr:

Edited by krysh

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1376516889' post='2175483']
Hey Pete, my other cab is an ACME as well! I have not massively noticed that the bass knob/boom issue - my guess is that the DSP of the IP has covered that. I will try and see to it next time i fire it up in anger. Sorry to be less than helpful.
[/quote]

Hah, we resemble each other in a few ways it would appear... :lol:

I've emailed Jim Bergantino to ask him too.

GAS is a terrible thing...

On further reflection, the EQ on the Monique is not the scalpel like tone control of modern amps, it is more like a broad brush which brings the goodness without trying too hard. Maybe I like it because I cannot seem to mess it up?