Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Would this be a good thing? A Led Zep Reunion

xilddx

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1361313548' post='1984571']
hah, I saw Warrant supporting Dave Lee Roth, they were funny.
[/quote]

Heh, shame faced admission, I went to see the same tour, in Shepton Mallet, we went to see warrant.... DLR was better, but I only realised that AFTERWARDS.
Did a similar thing around the same time at Donington when I went to see metallica, and left as a confirmed AC/DC fan.
I was very young..... :)

As to Zep, I would love to see them live, but will probably be unable to afford it/unwilling to pay that much.
Pagey was always ropey live, but that's what's good about it, and Jason is a killer drummist, and more than up to the job of playing his dad's lines. I do not want a slick live show full of lights, I want to see Jimmy Page shuffle about and occasionally stick his hand out at a theremin to make a weird noise. Preferably in massive black flares.
If you don't like it, don't go. Fairly simple.

Slightly off topic; saw Dave Lee Roth at same shows as siddx front row at wembley too,)Hammy o gig was great( the drums;)
Malmsteen ; saw him a couple of times , and at a music fayre at wembley. He played the tiny Astoria 2 (a clothes shop in the daytime;)
Schenker pulled a strop , and pulled out of a co headliner with malmsteen at hammy o about 6/7 years ago.
Malmsteen smashed up his guitar, the body nearly smashed my mates head , but we caught it.great gig ;)
Steve vai ; can't listen to his stuff, but saw him a few times with Satch( my fave) .He headlined the Astoria , that gig was great .
Prefer Macalpine .

Back to Zep, you know it will be expensive to go. You will be lucky to get a tkt. if you do go to the 02. , the highest point of the venue is scary.
Apart from that, enjoy the gig ;)

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1361386996' post='1985202']
Slightly off topic; saw Dave Lee Roth at same shows as siddx front row at wembley too,)Hammy o gig was great( the drums;)
Malmsteen ; saw him a couple of times , and at a music fayre at wembley. He played the tiny Astoria 2 (a clothes shop in the daytime;)
Schenker pulled a strop , and pulled out of a co headliner with malmsteen at hammy o about 6/7 years ago.
Malmsteen smashed up his guitar, the body nearly smashed my mates head , but we caught it.great gig ;)
Steve vai ; can't listen to his stuff, but saw him a few times with Satch( my fave) .He headlined the Astoria , that gig was great .
Prefer Macalpine .

Back to Zep, you know it will be expensive to go. You will be lucky to get a tkt. if you do go to the 02. , the highest point of the venue is scary.
Apart from that, enjoy the gig ;)
[/quote]
When i was at Music college there was a Vai/Satch divide. I was in the Vai camp. Obviously Satch is a great player it's just he bored me to tears and his music seemed a little sterile to me. Where as Vai was fiery and in places a bit mental. To be Honest that's the kind of music i love the most, Fiery and a bit f***ed up, starting with Stravinsky.

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1361387289' post='1985209']

When i was at Music college there was a Vai/Satch divide. I was in the Vai camp. Obviously Satch is a great player it's just he bored me to tears and his music seemed a little sterile to me. Where as Vai was fiery and in places a bit mental. To be Honest that's the kind of music i love the most, Fiery and a bit f***ed up, starting with Stravinsky.
[/quote]

I won't get highly strung ;) (this is a zep thread still;) Anyway, I just find vai a little tuneless . But , you've been to college and are better than me;)

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1361387723' post='1985221']
I won't get highly strung ;) (this is a zep thread still;) Anyway, I just find vai a little tuneless . But , you've been to college and are better than me;)
[/quote]
Ha ha, I don't think that works. I went to Uni too. I just smoked weed and chatted sh*t for years. I wasn't trying to start owt :)

I suppose one of the problems that any band reunion faces is the passage of time, a phenomenon which affects The Great 60's-70's Dinosaurs to a greater degree.

Quite apart from the ravaged faces, turkey necks and thinning hair, some of the proponents are continuing to hawk lyrical content entirely at odds with their advanced age. I think not so much of the Zeppelin but of those who espoused teenage rebellion and anti-establishment rhetoric. Step forward, Mr Peter Townsend.

That said, this disjuncture extends even to more recent combos. Am I alone in hiding my face when the baggy, middle-aged men who comprise Green Day, Metallica and Blink 182 spout the words of their youthful selves?

[size=3]Billie Joe Armstrong luxuriating in his fifth decade[/size]

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1361377162' post='1984989']
"cultural significance"?

A bunch of OAPs may or may not try to rediscover their youth - cultural impact is negligible either way. Move along please . . .
[/quote]
I must say that the 'cultural significance' bit made me chuckle!

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1361386996' post='1985202']Steve vai ; can't listen to his stuff, but saw him a few times..............[/quote]

I saw Vai just the once, entirely on the strength of enjoying the "duel" on "Crossroads", at the Academy in Glasgow.
I remember getting bored rather quuickly & it was a very uncomfortable gig as I'd ended up wearing the undies of the woman I was there with.

For me, and I'm a massive Zep fan and serial gig goer back in the day,absolutely not. Respect is due for what they achieved but let's support the up and coming bands now. It's farcical to me that the Strolling Bones are up for best live act - are a bunch of grandads really the best we can do? Saw them in the 80s too!

Seek out live music, demand it in pubs and clubs. It will do us all good I expect.

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1361392392' post='1985363']
For me, and I'm a massive Zep fan and serial gig goer back in the day,absolutely not. Respect is due for what they achieved but let's support the up and coming bands now. It's farcical to me that the Strolling Bones are up for best live act - are a bunch of grandads really the best we can do? Saw them in the 80s too!
[/quote]

That seems a bit ageist to me. Anyway, you only need to be 32 to legally be a grandad. ;)

But I tend to agree it's farcical for The Bones to be up for best live act - I mean, you'd think there'd be younger bands around that would have the same impact wouldn't you, but it seems not. Must be the reason why there are so many reunions these days and why Hollywood seems obsessed with remaking films. Hasn't the yoof of today got any original ideas to compete with the classics of yesteryear? :o :lol: ;)

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1361396913' post='1985479']
That seems a bit ageist to me. Anyway, you only need to be 32 to legally be a grandad. ;)

[/quote]

As I'm well north of 50 now I'm allowed to be a big ageist :) (only a little bit though)