Why become a member? ×

Advice needed

WhoNeedsYou

Any audition tips would be greatly appreciated.
I have one on Thursday night & literally have only done one before, which I found out afterwards I had only gotten the job by recommendation/association rather than actually being the best applicant! (Plus i was the only one who turned up!)
All my other work has come through friends of the family who all knew I could play. So hence I am very nervous.
Any advice other than anti anxiety pills?

Think this might be in the wrong section mate.

But in answer to your question, just try and relax and be as confident in your abilities as you can - if these guys are a good fit for you then you'll play well. I've always found, like in job interviews, that if you click with the other members you perform a lot better, so just rock up, take a deep breath and give it your best shot. Let us know how you get along.

These links may be of interest...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/197044-audition-tomorrow-any-tips/page__hl__audition%20tips"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/197044-audition-tomorrow-any-tips/page__hl__audition%20tips[/url]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/187113-preparing-for-first-audition/page__p__1807756__hl__audition%20tips__fromsearch__1#entry1807756"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/187113-preparing-for-first-audition/page__p__1807756__hl__audition%20tips__fromsearch__1#entry1807756[/url]

HTH :)

[quote name='Geester' timestamp='1361133958' post='1981693']
.....have they given you any songs to learn?....if so, learn them.....I know it sounds crap but I've lost count of the number of musicians I have auditioned who have simply failed to learn the numbers......tip about relaxing and being yourself is spot on....
[/quote]

+1

Yea the number of people who don't prepare properly for an audition is breathtaking and an utter pain!
Also remember, you are auditioning them as well. They may not be for you, and if not, you will need to tell them so.
If you get on with them at a musical and personal level, check out their plans re rehearsals and gig expectations to make sure you are going in the same direction. And, good luck. Paul.

yeah, I've learned my songs, just working on getting used to the backing vocals (which I've not done much of before :s)
They've given me a fairly loose "learn any 5 songs from this list perfectly" rather than picking 5 for me or knowing all 16 songs vaguely.
I have my five that I enjoy playing but several of the other songs are my favourites to.
So when playing I keep accidentally doing some of the other songs to!
All good advice has been taken on board, I will be pooping myself come Thursday though :P.

Good luck with it.

My advice:

Be there early or at least on time.

Set up in an effecient manner.

Tune up silently.

Don't widdle about on your bass prior to start or between numbers.

Like others have said, lock in with the drummer and just keep it solid.

At an audition, they are more likely to be impressed if you make them sound good, rather than too much in the way of bass gymnastics :)

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1361174967' post='1982095']
At an audition, they are more likely to be impressed if you make them sound good, rather than too much in the way of bass gymnastics
[/quote]

+1

Turn up on time, have the songs nailed, don't overplay, try & have fun.

If that's the way they do business then you're better off out of it. Don't take it personally, and don't let it get to you (easy for me to say, I know). You've only done two auditions. It's like anything else - the more experience you gain, the more confident you get and the more you understand what's actually going on. An audition is not just about what a band think of you, it's an opportunity for you to suss them out, too.

Also it's not always about being the best player - it's about compatibility. I'm willing to bet one of their mates decided he wanted to do it, and that was that. So no reflection on your skill, ability or personality. [size=4]Lick your wounds and come back stronger next time. :)[/size]

Thank you for the calming words.
They picked the guy who was leaving as I got there for my try out, my guess is the decision was made before I played a note which annoys me a bit.
I don't take greatly to failure (never have done) and this will have a knock on effect for a while, the gear is going under the stairs until I think what to do next.
I'm having a nice decaf & a croissant to calm me down in the hope I get some sleep tonight/today

[quote name='WhoNeedsYou' timestamp='1362017920' post='1994665']
I'm having a nice decaf & a croissant to calm me down in the hope I get some sleep tonight/today
[/quote]

Good man - don't sell your rig quite yet! It won't seem so bad after you've slept on it.
And remember - you can't be held responsible for someone else's decision. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1362018296' post='1994666']

Good man - don't sell your rig quite yet! It won't seem so bad after you've slept on it.
And remember - you can't be held responsible for someone else's decision. :)
[/quote]
Dead right (except the man bit ;-) !)
Everything always looks better in the cold light of day, except the Rolling Stones or Barry manilow , they always look terrible!
Night night.

[quote name='WhoNeedsYou' timestamp='1362017920' post='1994665']
Thank you for the calming words.
They picked the guy who was leaving as I got there for my try out, my guess is the decision was made before I played a note which annoys me a bit.
[/quote]
That happens in all walks of life. You just have to get used to it. The poster above is right, if they didnt tell you, befor ethey announced it on facebook, then they sound like complete dicks and youre probably better off without them.

[quote name='WhoNeedsYou' timestamp='1362087750' post='1995711']
I wouldn't be too fussed if I was told "thank you but no thanks"
I think no response at all is just plain rude.
Maybe I am just to.sensitive.
[/quote]

No, youre not, thats perfectly reasonable as a response.

Thanks again folks, I'm feeling loads better in reflection of the past weeks antics.
Still no texts or emails saying I'm "not suitable" though!
Which proves that they most definately are top grade penises!
Deepdown I really hope the guy they picked turns out to be heavily unreliable & their decision bites them in the butt. I'm not bitter! :P
Saying that, everything happens for a reason, there will be a good one behind this no doubt.

[quote name='WhoNeedsYou' timestamp='1362016188' post='1994659']
Quick update, just found out tonight I didn't get it. They haven't actually told me yet, but they've just announced the new member on Facebook. Nice. Anyone want to by a behringer rig & 2 sh*t basses?
[/quote]

THIS is the mark of a grade A, 100%, gold plated, 24 carat, fully paid up, lifetime guaranteed, all singing, all dancing, as seen on TV, ABTA bonded, satisfaction or your money back, buy one, get one free bunch of Olympic Standard Toss Pots.

Keep your basses.
Practice like a mofo
Get Pastorius level good
Form a band
Get Olympic Standard Toss Pots to support you
Crush them like the bugs they are
Remain smiling and humble at all times
Watch them squirm like apprehended teenage shoplifters.

Have a short break, calm down and learn from the experience, this will make you stronger and better.

You're are better than you think you are and your time will come and then you'll say thank god I didn't get that other job otherwise I wouldn't have this one which is so much better :)

Good luck (not that you need it) for the future and keep your head up !!!!