Why become a member? ×

Warwick Thumbs - mine doesn't neckdive. Is it faulty ?

hamfist

An observation on my new (used) thumb BO4. I have read so much about the odd ergonomics and poor balance of thumbs that I was not expecting too much of it. However, this thing doesn't weigh a ton, balances just fine on a thin strap and the reach to the 1st fret feels much the same as a J or P bass. The neck is also narrow and playable.

Is it faulty ? Should I demand my money back ?

Oh, it's a 2006 ovangkol body and neck, with a Wenge fretboard, if that makes any difference.

Edited by hamfist

I've never had neck dive problems with my Thumb BO, but it does however weigh a lot and I find the reach to the first fret uncomfortable for some bass lines. It's interesting that you mention you don't find the reach any different to a P or J, as those are two other basses that I own and play about as much as my thumb, yet I have no discomfort with the reach to the first fret on those. Perhaps it's to do with the height of the bass on the strap? Who knows... witchcraft by the sound of things.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1360866893' post='1977685']

5'10" and 11st for me, so pretty much UK standard I'd guess. I do have big hands but that's just about it.
[/quote]
Same height, but I'm 24lbs heavier. Small hands (according to a guitarist friend). I don't own a Thumb, but do have a 26 fret Infinity SN4. It balances OK, but does throw that first fret a bit further away than you'd expect. Can't be doing with Thumbs at all. Great tone, construction, etc. etc. But most dive due to the short top horn and fall off of my thigh due to the small lower horn.
I also own a Streamer LX 6 and Fortress Masterman5, so I'm not exactly anti- Warwick...

I used to own a 5 string Bolt-on, the neck dive wasn't SO bad, but it was very heavy, I think the heavier the body, the less chance of neck dive, mine did a little in comparison to basses I've owned since, but at the time it didn't bother me at all, what did bug me though was the reach to 1st position. I'm just a little guy though 5 foot 6, and 12 stone (all muscle...), so I guess that would have had a lot to do with it.
If I'd known at the time of ordering that I could've had a 32" bolt-on neck as a custom option, for what wasn't much more cash at the time, I'd probably still own it...

Eude

[quote name='OliverBlackman' timestamp='1360867578' post='1977694']
might just be the NT's then because my old 2000 model had huge neck dive and it was a real effort to play a low F
[/quote]

My '91 NT doesn't have any neck dive. The first fret does seem a bit too far away though, I'm 6'3" and have fairly normal arms (must add this to my online dating profile).

I had a Thumb NT for years. It had a neck-dive issues and was generally uncomfortable to play when standing. The problem is thus ...

The top horn extends only as far as the 16th fret. Now, when the bass strapped on to you, this causes a balance problem as the bass doesn't have a big body to act as a counter-balance. Sure, the body is made of a heavy dense hardwood ... but so is the neck.

Basically, the strap button of the top horn of any bass is going to sit at the point where your strap naturally drops from your left shoulder. For example, on a P bass or a Jazz bass where the strap button is in line with a point between the 11th and 12th fret, the body will balance the neck better.

For me, when playing the Thumb Bass, a greater problem than the neck-dive was the reach that was required to play around the lower frets. After a while it becomes very fatigue-inducing. To put the top-horn comparison into further context ... you will have to reach 4 inches further to fret a low F on a Thumb NT than you would on a P or J bass.

I have an old Aria SB, where the horn extends to the 12th fret. It is far more comfy and easy to play than a Thumb bass. This is despite the fact that it has a huge thick and extremely heavy slab of a body.

Edited by Fionn

OK, I think we've established now that the 5's are more neckdivey than 4's. That is no surprise to me as the 5's neck is so much visibly bigger than the 4's And NT's "may" possibly be rather more prone to it than BO's. I guess down to weight distribution differences around the neck joint. Although my instant gut reaction is that the structure of the neck joint really couldn't make all that much difference to the balance. Though I could be wrong.
I'm wondering whether the player's body shape (ie. maybe spread in the mid regions) accentuates any neck dive. I've just had another comparison on my basses, and my thumb BO4 simply does not want to neck dive. It wants to balance and sit (on me) at a nice approx 30 degree angle, neck tilted up. No different to my P-shaped bass.
And, yes, going from one to the other, it is a longer stretch to the 1st fret on the thumb than my P, but not uncomfortably so, for me at 5'10" with my slim frame and (I think) average length arms.
It would be interesting to know whether those who struggle with reach and/or balance with their thumbs are of a "larger" build. The scientist within me wants to know.

Edited by hamfist

I really struggled playing a low F on my recently departed P Bass, not so with the Thumb. I know it's a bit further to reach but the slimmer neck more than makes up for it with me, that's how it feels anyway. Mine sits perfectly on the strap and balances nicely.
B)

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1361014494' post='1979740']
It would be interesting to know whether those who struggle with reach and/or balance with their thumbs are of a "larger" build. The scientist within me wants to know.
[/quote]

I'm 5'8", long arms, athletic build ... so, no. But Thumbs will neck-dive on me.

Aye, it's inconsistant. Some folk experience the problem, some don't. So, could it be related to how high or low on the body that the bass is worn? I wear my bass quite high on the body when playing. I imagine if it was slung low then the lower frets would be easier to reach. The physical dimensions of the instrument its self are still the same though. Would this make a difference to the dive factor?

Edited by Fionn

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1361021654' post='1979881']
Aesthetically an acquired taste though.
[/quote]

Very true. Anything single cut, I'm not quite sure whether I should play it or surf on it, or make a table out of it, or .......... ??

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1361014494' post='1979740']
OK, I think we've established now that the 5's are more neckdivey than 4's. That is no surprise to me as the 5's neck is so much visibly bigger than the 4's And NT's "may" possibly be rather more prone to it than BO's. I guess down to weight distribution differences around the neck joint. Although my instant gut reaction is that the structure of the neck joint really couldn't make all that much difference to the balance. Though I could be wrong.
I'm wondering whether the player's body shape (ie. maybe spread in the mid regions) accentuates any neck dive. I've just had another comparison on my basses, and my thumb BO4 simply does not want to neck dive. It wants to balance and sit (on me) at a nice approx 30 degree angle, neck tilted up. No different to my P-shaped bass.
And, yes, going from one to the other, it is a longer stretch to the 1st fret on the thumb than my P, but not uncomfortably so, for me at 5'10" with my slim frame and (I think) average length arms.
[/quote]

Nope, sounds like I'm a similar build. I'm now very tempted to try a bolt on 5 though to see if theres any difference