Why become a member? ×

Warwick Thumbs - mine doesn't neckdive. Is it faulty ?

hamfist

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1361050989' post='1980516']

Given that my Thumb NT 4 weighs more than my mate's Stingray 5 I shudder to think what it would be like with just one cutaway...
[/quote]

Sorry, I was referring neck dive, in that the strap button on the SC is around the 13th fret.
But yes, all the more weight!

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1360859159' post='1977554']
An observation on my new (used) thumb BO4. I have read so much about the odd ergonomics and poor balance of thumbs that I was not expecting too much of it. However, this thing doesn't weigh a ton, balances just fine on a thin strap and the reach to the 1st fret feels much the same as a J or P bass. The neck is also narrow and playable.

[/quote]

I've owned two Thumbs, a 4 string BO and my current Broadneck 5 string. Neither have had neck dive issues, mainly because I play them high-ish on the chest, like they were supposed to be played. Hence why they have that 'bowl back' cut on them. Also, I've never had a problem with the necks on them. Even my broadneck is very manageable, because it's relatively thin front to back, but with some width to let you right dig in and work your left hand.

They suit some players, some players never get on with them. If you're one of those players who likes to wear his bass round his ankles, forget the Thumb. For everyone else, just play and enjoy. Nothing else sounds like a Thumb. It is one of [i]the [/i]bass sounds.

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1361057248' post='1980596']
I've owned two Thumbs, a 4 string BO and my current Broadneck 5 string. Neither have had neck dive issues, mainly because I play them high-ish on the chest, like they were supposed to be played. Hence why they have that 'bowl back' cut on them. Also, I've never had a problem with the necks on them. Even my broadneck is very manageable, because it's relatively thin front to back, but with some width to let you right dig in and work your left hand.

They suit some players, some players never get on with them. If you're one of those players who likes to wear his bass round his ankles, forget the Thumb. For everyone else, just play and enjoy. Nothing else sounds like a Thumb. It is one of [i]the [/i]bass sounds.
[/quote] the fella they designed the thumb for.... and where he played his, it's not that high up

I've had my NT since 89 when i was 10st and thin to average build with no mid belt ballast. Neck dive was a bit of an issue and depending on the height did make a slight differance. I did find that positioning the bass as the photo by LukeFRC shows slightly to your side then it improved balance.
Now 23 yrs later and admitting to slight ballast around the mid i don't find the bass sits any different.
I have always found the Thumb naturally sits further forward against my body than other basses making the left hand reach that bit further.

No matter what the neck dive or body position its still one of my fav basses to play and i just accept its minor issues.

Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1361091910' post='1980778']
I've had my NT since 89 when i was 10st and thin to average build with no mid belt ballast. Neck dive was a bit of an issue and depending on the height did make a slight differance. I did find that positioning the bass as the photo by LukeFRC shows slightly to your side then it improved balance.
Now 23 yrs later and admitting to slight ballast around the mid i don't find the bass sits any different.
I have always found the Thumb naturally sits further forward against my body than other basses making the left hand reach that bit further.

No matter what the neck dive or body position its still one of my fav basses to play and i just accept its minor issues.

Dave
[/quote]

Interesting info. To complete the experiment could you please put on a further 5st and report back !

On a nother note, I played the thumb with a band for the first time today, at church. Wow, sat in the mix just beautifully. So punchy. It was making me play a bit different to normal actually. My P inspires me in a rock way. The thumb seems to bring out the funker in me.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1361108194' post='1981104']
Interesting info. To complete the experiment could you please put on a further 5st and report back !

[/quote]

Adding another 5st means one of 2 things. :-

1) I would then weigh approx 12st

2) measurements in stones means you are showing your age as being on the older side of 60.

No. 1 aint true and No. 2 probably aint right either.

Still i'm happy to have been of service in providing some fun for you and aiding you in the right of passage to the world of Warwick Thumb bass.
You have now become a better bassist :D

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

[quote name='2elliot' timestamp='1361221585' post='1983145']
Norwood says 'let it hang... real low'

[/quote]

Cooool, i love this look.

Another fretless groover

The Thumb is special, it is true. I can not play with a 4 string but i love my 89' 5 string and 93' 6er.

This guy is special too. A 7er fretless....

[url="http://warwickframusofficial.blogspot.fr/2011/11/interview-with-jeroen-paul-thesseling.html"]http://warwickframus...thesseling.html[/url]

Edited by Emanew