Why become a member? ×

Warwick gas.

marcus bell

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1360697925' post='1975001']
Buy cheap lol, rockbass corvette, am just about to stick DiMarzio J bass pickups in mine. Cheap as chips so quality to £ ratio high.
[/quote]

He could get a S/H German $$ for less than £500

Edited by xilddx

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1360698065' post='1975008']
He could get a S/H German $$ for less than £500
[/quote]

Totally agree, then again my outlay s/h was about £160 - cheapskate :)[size=4] I would not buy a new rockbass since as you rightly observe s/h German is in that price range.[/size]

I want one too! :gas:
I've got the Rockbass Corvette 4, as mentioned above, and I can confirm it's good stuff. Haven't even changed the pups on it.
I'm now gassing for a Warwick Corvette 5 and will probably loiter and drool a bit at the Warwick stand at the LBGS :D
Since I'm left-handed I tend to buy new, as it's quicker than wait for a suitable 2nd hand model on here.

I would advise against the Rock Bass $$ it's quite possibly the worst sounding bass I have ever owned, I tried everything to get a decent sound out of it even swapped the 250k pots for the correct 500k pots, it made a slight difference but not enough in my opinion to give even a reasonable sound I would expect from a budget bass and bearing in mind it was hardly a budget bass....I paid nearly £600 for it sold it a month later for £200 and I still think I got good money back for it.

This was my first Warwick and after that bass most probably my last, I expected better for the money, after all the Ray34's and Mexican Fenders etc are largely excellent instruments, to me the Rock Bass did not make me yearn for the genuine item

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1360792229' post='1976715']
I would advise against the Rock Bass $$ it's quite possibly the worst sounding bass I have ever owned, I tried everything to get a decent sound out of it even swapped the 250k pots for the correct 500k pots, it made a slight difference but not enough in my opinion to give even a reasonable sound I would expect from a budget bass and bearing in mind it was hardly a budget bass....I paid nearly £600 for it sold it a month later for £200 and I still think I got good money back for it.

This was my first Warwick and after that bass most probably my last, I expected better for the money, after all the Ray34's and Mexican Fenders etc are largely excellent instruments, to me the Rock Bass did not make me yearn for the genuine item
[/quote]

Shame, I've owned a Rockbass 'vette and a Streamer Pro-M and the Streamer was a huge jump in quality. There was maybe £200 difference in the prices I paid too which seems like a bargain. I'm a fretless man now but I'd love a proper Warwick fretless.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1360697795' post='1974995']
Get a Corvette $$ They are incredible. So versatile too.
[/quote]

Those German Warwick $$ are great sounding basses . Warwicks' take on the Musicman humbucker is the best I have ever heard in terms of recreating the sound of the pickups on the early vintage original Music Man Stingrays . I personally find the Streamer body shape a bit more comfortable than the Corvette , but that's just my own preference .

[quote name='Rasta' timestamp='1360825658' post='1976990']
Many people overlook the Fortess, not sure why, but they're a bargain often on here...I love mine (apart from the bogie green colour) ;)
[/quote]

Best balanced bass they ever made.
Proper lower horn so it doesn't throw itself off of your lap
No strange spatial relationships between neck/top horn/body that throw the first fret out of reach of all but Gibbons (the monkey, not Billy!)
Not generally too heavy
They even made several pick-up configurations, too:
P/J 4
J/J 4
J/J 5
JJ4 (Masterman)
JJ5 (Masterman)
J/JJ 4 passive (Flashback)
J/JJ 5 passive (Flashback)

Can't recall if they did a Pro "M" like the Streamer. Don't think so..

The only way they could've been better would be adding the concave back from the Streamer.