Why become a member? ×

Best "clean" sounding amps & cabs for soul & funk?

molan

I'm currently running a Euphonic i-Amp 350 combo with a CXL 112 extension cab which I really like.

Haven't had a decent chance to use it with my new soul/funk band but think it'll be just fine for this.

However - I've had it a while so vaguely thinking of swapping :)

I've organised a nice little combo for rehearsals so this would be purely for medium sized function hall gigs.

Quite like the idea of the Epifani 502 + 310 combination but I'm sure there's other stuff out there that might be fun to try.

Just looking for a few pointers before I hit the GAS trail properly!

[quote name='molan' post='203732' date='May 21 2008, 02:00 PM']I'm currently running a Euphonic i-Amp 350 combo with a CXL 112 extension cab which I really like.

Haven't had a decent chance to use it with my new soul/funk band but think it'll be just fine for this.

However - I've had it a while so vaguely thinking of swapping :)

I've organised a nice little combo for rehearsals so this would be purely for medium sized function hall gigs.

Quite like the idea of the Epifani 502 + 310 combination but I'm sure there's other stuff out there that might be fun to try.

Just looking for a few pointers before I hit the GAS trail properly![/quote]

I've been mighty surprised by the Glockenklang Bass Art! Clarity without sterility and warmth without mush. I'm running mine into WoT's Schroeder 21012 tonight to see what a single medium sized cab can do.

I don't remember Soul and Funk ever having a "clean" sound. It was all woolly Ampeg, Acoustic and Sunn amps through 15" speakers. I can't say anything to bolster your need for GAS. You've already got a great rig, why change it?

[quote name='chris_b' post='203745' date='May 21 2008, 05:08 PM']I don't remember Soul and Funk ever having a "clean" sound. It was all woolly Ampeg, Acoustic and Sunn amps through 15" speakers. I can't say anything to bolster your need for GAS. You've already got a great rig, why change it?[/quote]

Good point!

Actually I was thinking more of 70's disco / funk rather than classic gritty funk. Must be clearer in my explanations in the future :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='203739' date='May 21 2008, 04:58 PM']I've been mighty surprised by the Glockenklang Bass Art! Clarity without sterility and warmth without mush. I'm running mine into WoT's Schroeder 21012 tonight to see what a single medium sized cab can do.[/quote]

Did you buy the one that was on EBay recently?

Very good price!

[quote name='molan' post='203787' date='May 21 2008, 06:04 PM']....actually I was thinking more of 70's disco / funk ....[/quote]
Check out Thunderfunk amps at RIM here on BC. Clean, solid, big tight bass.... one of the best amps that I've played.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='203861' date='May 21 2008, 07:45 PM']Man, just get a 1u Class D power amp and run it with your Trace V-type preamp. Personally I'd be looking at a combination of 10" and 12" cabinets though.[/quote]
+1