Why become a member? ×

Active and Passive basses

aende

[quote name='aende' timestamp='1360586583' post='1972672']
....Anyone using both active and passive bases on their rig?
Do you encounter gain problems when swapping over? i.e. When you change bass during a gig you have to modify amp setting to cope?....
[/quote]

I have both and the gain from the passive Pbass is much higher than the active bass.

I don't use both on the same gig though.

Dual channel preamps were designed for this situation, or you just need to know how to manually adjust your volume controls to equalize your output signal.

I sometimes use both. My TE AH200 has active, & passive inputs like most amps. If I am going to use both at a gig & I will make sure the input gain is set for each bass so the TE lights on the front panel max out at the same point. A visual reference is great for this. Even with the different inputs there will need to be an adjustment for the different basses, usuallya couple of clicks will do it.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1360589415' post='1972789']
I've been playing active basses for over 20 years and I'm very happy with the sound of the passive bass I've been playing for the last 2 years.

One isn't better than the other, so I'd just go with the one which gives you the tone you want.
[/quote]

Haha I like it! The default passive/active answer even though the OP never asked that! :lol:

In other news Flea, Its not about the extra notes more about playing across the board & Jackson basses are good for metal :)

[quote name='aende' timestamp='1360586583' post='1972672']
Anyone using both active and passive bases on their rig?

Do you encounter gain problems when swapping over? i.e. When you change bass during a gig you have to modify amp setting to cope?
[/quote]

I use both actives on a gig and the output is different on both. I use the volume control on the amp which is no biggie...it is what the soundcheck is for.
Plus I can get a huge variance of volume by attacking the strings differently..and this is a short term fix until I can return to the amp if I can't
compensate with on-board controls.
I have 15bd of boost on the basses but nobody would run that as anything but a fudge.. I think +15bd is totally unusable, myself.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1360605869' post='1973245']
....I like it! The default passive/active answer even though the OP never asked that!....
[/quote]

The OP got his answer in #3. From his reply in #4 the subject moved on.

Keep up.