Why become a member? ×

Less boom and raising a 4x10?

Prime_BASS

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1360526310' post='1971847']
+1 to this. If I want to play any melodic stuff I have to roll off a little bit of treble and midrange so that I don't sound sloppy with my aggressive right hand technique, whereas for the majority of my playing the harshness really works!
[/quote]

I play very light so it is easier to be clean... the down side to that is that I lose volume and some character/tone ..possibly.
There are certains sounds that sounds great with an aggressive technique..so we have limits on the one hand and bonuses on the other.

On balance, light works for me...and the plus is that I haven't beaten my hands to crap over 35 plus years of playing with RSI and the like..
Roundabouts and swings...???

Edited by JTUK

I use an even cheaper solution - a £14 Stagg amp stand: [url="http://www.staggmusic.com/en/product_detail/gas-3_2.html?backp=1."]http://www.staggmusi...2.html?backp=1.[/url] Tilts the cab back enough so that I can hear what I'm doing, also raises the cab a little from the floor. Folds flat, easy to move around.

Sometimes I use a couple of pieces of foam instead of a Gramma - same thing, but £48 less. Lord, I'm a cheapskate... :D

Edited by Muzz

I used to use a keyboard stand to get my cab up to hear level, something like this:

Best and cheapest solution ever. Since i got my Super12 i'm using any chair i can find on the venue because i don't need to have it that high but am looking for a similar and more permanent solution. I've looked at the guitar amp stands but i need something that doesn't tilt my cab, only raise it a bit.

Mind that when using a keyboard stand you need to be aware of your rigs weight, i was using Neo cabs and class-D amps though once i must admit that i got away in one gig standing my old Trace Elliot 15" combo on one of these - be advised, NEVER do this! it's just not safe enough :lol:

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1360528448' post='1971908']
I play very light so it is easier to be clean... the down side to that is that I lose volume and some character/tone ..possibly.
There are certains sounds that sounds great with an aggressive technique..so we have limits on the one hand and bonuses on the other.

On balance, light works for me...and the plus is that I haven't beaten my hands to crap over 35 plus years of playing with RSI and the like..
Roundabouts and swings...???
[/quote]

I never learned to play 'properly', so my downside is I can't play softly without still getting a tiny bit of fret clank. I have to change my sound for those bits!

[quote name='deepbass5' timestamp='1360624795' post='1973769']
Good find 51
you could take a bag of plaster to the gig and patch the holes made by the pogoing guitarist :lol:
[/quote]

Excellent suggestion, just two issues with it, my dodgy back, and I am officially the worst plasterer the world has ever seen. It is clearly a dark art practiced by wizards of ancient lore, cos I cant get the ruddy stuff to stick to anything but me, let alone a ceiling :D

[quote name='MartyBRebelMC' timestamp='1360761995' post='1975982']
That hop-up is just what i've been looking for, will do for the diy plus raise the cab at gigs - brilliant! Thanks for posting it 51m
[/quote]

Cool!

I'd been trying to figure out a solution to the problem for ever - how you search for a fold down table capable of supporting a 100Kg plus wide enough for a single cab bass rig just kep eluding me :D

Then I saw these whilst lookig for ladders for doing the hall (the bendy ones that will cope with stairs) - just seems like the ultimate secure solution for a bass rig....

Of course now everyone will get one and I can just borrow theirs at the gig :ph34r:

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1360765383' post='1976103']
Cool!

I'd been trying to figure out a solution to the problem for ever - how you search for a fold down table capable of supporting a 100Kg plus wide enough for a single cab bass rig just kep eluding me :D

Then I saw these whilst lookig for ladders for doing the hall (the bendy ones that will cope with stairs) - just seems like the ultimate secure solution for a bass rig....

Of course now everyone will get one and I can just borrow theirs at the gig :ph34r:
[/quote]

Going to look into this man, looks good.

Mainly the boom is at home during practice, at gigs I struggle to hear it due to it being so low(which is why I used to use 2 vertical 2 by 10s.) I also find when it's raised as high as an 8x10 I have to EQ a whole lot less making soundcheck a thousand times easier.
even at rehearsals I raised the ampeg 806he to be at a good 1 and half foot taller. Before I struggled to hear it anywhere in the room and had to pretty much EQ the bass to 9/10 o clock to stop it rattling the whole room (piss poor room granted) now I just eq the mids to cut through all the noise a bit and I can hear it fine, even came though perfect on a recording of the night with a single over hang mic.

This isn't an argument as to the advantages or disadvantages or if something is wrong with me or my stuff. To me it's better raised, so I'm doing it.

[quote name='longtimefred' timestamp='1360852422' post='1977406']
I am really tempted to get one of these to solve the same issue as it seems perfect, but.....

i cant help thinking it will look rather silly on stage comared to just buying another cab to go underneath! not very rock n roll is it. lol.
[/quote]

So why don't you get an empty beer crate? That would definetly look RnR :)

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1360852827' post='1977417']
So why don't you get an empty beer crate? That would definetly look RnR :)
[/quote]

Haha yeah, i been trying to pinch one from venues for a while now, suprising how little of them actually keep hold of them any more. guess dodgy bass players kept stealing them.

[quote name='longtimefred' timestamp='1360852422' post='1977406']
I am really tempted to get one of these to solve the same issue as it seems perfect, but.....

i cant help thinking it will look rather silly on stage comared to just buying another cab to go underneath! not very rock n roll is it. lol.
[/quote]

If you're worried about that then print something to go on the front of it or throw a cloth over it :D