Why become a member? ×

Fake MIM Precision ?

rubis

.............who cares, it's a tidy looking bass

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=271143238037#description"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=271143238037#description[/url]

The seller is quite upfront about the fact that certain details don't add up and it may not be a Mexican P, but would anyone fake a MIM?

Good price so far for a nice looking bass

I guess he's charging £20 postage partly for the effort involved in getting a bass in a box and physically posting the thing which isn't an easy business. Sounds like a totally honest chap and I wouldn't bother to even question the postage at that price. The decals, serials, body finish and hardware all look perfectly good for the price. Even if it sells for a few hundred quid I would guess it is worth it. Who cares if it is original or not, in fact you maybe better off with a used copy with a glowing report from the owner than buying a brand new unseen fender. They look better used too.

I don't get why anyone would make a blag Mexican Fender, when you can easily pick most of the real ones up for under £300 it seems pretty pointless to bother. :huh:[size=4] My brother had a lovely '02 for £150 a couple of years back and my '09 was only £200 in spotless as new condition.[/size]

Yeah I snagged one a few years back for about £170. That was immaculate too. And about 15 mins drive away.

Doesn't look like a standard MIM though. If it's a Fender at all. The specials usually go for quite a bit more. Looks maybe like someone's got a standard MIM and tried to make like something else.

Edited by bigjohn

[quote name='Ashborygirl' timestamp='1359547677' post='1956328']
can you get insurance from Interparcel? Last time I used them musical instruments were in the list of exclusions.
[/quote]
I sent a Kelly valve amp through Interparcel and it got badly damaged,got paid out for the insured value.The good thing was the buyer still wanted it!
Still use em now!

Just used interparcel this week,great service. Guitar picked up and delivered to my door all within 24 hours,£11 ! I did value the item at around £50 as it was that price on e bay. They use UPS as carrier,in fact you have a choice of carrier. Similar item posted with parcelforce at local post office is around £18 and takes around 48 hours.

[quote name='SlapbassSteve' timestamp='1359557474' post='1956581']I don't get why anyone would make a blag Mexican Fender, when you can easily pick most of the real ones up for under £300 it seems pretty pointless to bother.[/quote]
Because people assume relatively inexpensive items won't be faked, when it's these very items that are simplest to fake in significant quantities. Shipment of "MIM Fender" basses manufactured in a factory in China and sold on through eBay for anything up to £300 would show the fakers a handsome profit. That said, most recent trend has been in "Charvel", "Jackson" and "Greco".