Why become a member? ×

The 10 Best Bassplayers On You Tube

Lowender

[quote name='soul deluxe' timestamp='1359332007' post='1953289']
thats not Victor Bailey dude.. wrong color ;) his bass is a Victor Bailey Fender Jazz signature.. think his name is Ton Jardin.. imo a perfect example of an unknown amazing bassist.. as far as i know he has no record deal.. or does not play for a band that has such
[/quote]

He's terrific. Very musical. Thanks for posting.

As for davidsin rocks. I don't get it. Yeah, he's good. Very good. But I don't hear anything special or unique. (Unless I've missed his best stuff). There are thousands of guys who play like Flea. I think he got a rep because he was one of the early YT guys. Good teachers are also a seperate catagory IMO. Bassowman is a guy no one knows who's up there with marlow for mastering covers. I'm normally not as interested in that, but props nevertheless. He does a great job.

Edited by Lowender

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' timestamp='1359321951' post='1953138']
Doesn't really bother me, the internet is full of pointless rubbish anyway
[/quote]

Exactly. Imagine a system whereby everyone on the planet (well, half of them anyway) can post whatever they like and everyone else can look at it. Now, imagine how much of that stuff would be of little or no interest to you personally, for a myriad of reasons. I'd hazard a guess that it would be comfortably in the vast majority. Welcome to the internet.

another bassist that is imo one of smokin hot gospel bassists that posts on you tube.. unknown, to most people im guessing..? i bet you dale can teach you a little something now with his 2 5 1 chord lesson..his groove at 7.20 imo makes Sharay Reed look slack, if thats possible.. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ThwuJVcyoA[/media]

Edited by soul deluxe

[quote name='soul deluxe' timestamp='1359332834' post='1953301']
another bassist that is imo one of smokin hot gospel bassists that posts on you tube.. unknown, to most people im guessing..? i bet you dale can teach you a little something now with his 2 5 1 chord lesson.. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ThwuJVcyoA[/media]
[/quote]

Dude's got chops for sure but man he rushes like crazy!

I've uploaded a couple of videos of me playing bass (I can't really solo so I just play some random stuff) but the only purpose is to give an idea what a certain bass sounds... Some basses which I want to buy have these great looks but I'm unfamiliar with the sound so it's helpful to find sounds on YT.
There's only song I play along with but that was only because I found out that other vids weren't doing the job properly imo...
Still it's great to have these YT bass players on the internet.. there used to be nothing and now there's too much :-)
But in the end it's all about finding your own parts.. copying isn't the ultimate thing I'm aiming for. I used to do that a lot but after a while you try to find your own voice and then you start digging in that melting pot where everything went into since you started to listen to bass.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1359331627' post='1953285']
I really hope this guy picks up the bass one day, so I can vote for him.

[b]Rude language ahoy![/b]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DbUPjEbIvA[/media]
[/quote]

Love it! It's a great reminder on off days that things aren't as bad as they could be.
His scouse accent gives it great comedy appeal too!

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1359139001' post='1950686']
To me,none of the players listed in the OP,qualify as being particularly 'great'.
[/quote]

[size="3"][color="#000000"][font="Calibri"]I guess that’s a subjective point dependent on your individual abilities: compared to me they're all great. But then to be honest, compared to me Tony Newton from Expert Village is a bass god. :D [/font][/color][/size]

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1359308004' post='1952833']I think its a vanity thing.[/quote]

But doesn't [i]all[/i] performance have a hint of vanity about it? To varying degrees, of course. But isn't performance ultimately about wanting to be appreciated by other people - be it on YouTube or on a stage? Online videos are just another way of getting 'out' of the bedroom without...err... actually doing so (sounds like quantum physics, or something :blink: ).

Personally I have no issues whatsoever about people posting clips of their playing on YouTube - be it original numbers or covers. "Do what thou wilt," etc, etc. Some of them suck (mine surely would), some of them are hugely inspirational (I'm thinking Andy Saxton, Mike Flynn et al).

What's the big deal?

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1359331627' post='1953285']
I was going to say Scott Devine - but that's my partisanship, as I have met Scott in the flesh.

I really hope this guy picks up the bass one day, so I can vote for him.

[b]Rude language ahoy![/b]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DbUPjEbIvA[/media]
[/quote]

This guy actually gigs, and has released a single on vinyl, although neither are quite as entertaining as this video. I know because he opened for us last time we played in Liverpool. His set was cut short when he broke a string and unsurprisingly no-one would lend him a guitar.

This could be a thread in itself but there are a lot of guys who are considered "great" who just don't move me.

This may ruffle some feathers, but...

I'd give my left leg to have John Patatucci's skills but I can''t think of a 4 measure phase he ever played that was memorable.

Victor Wooton -- sorry. He plays some lovely solo stuff but with the band, I don't hear anything particularly interesting.

Billy Sheenan -- same thing -- great "tricks" but other than that, he's a rock and roll bass player.

Charlie Haden -- he's interesting and musical, but a master? I doubt he could play over the changes of most standards.

Steve Swallow -- I think the fact that he's coming from a solid jazz background and decided to go electric and play with a pick makes him unique. He's fine -- just no monster IMO.

Cliff Burton -- I like him. And Master of Puppets is a great album. But one of the greats? I think that's a stretch. There are thousands of guys who play as well, they're just not in Metallica ! LOL

So a lot of it comes down to WHERE and with WHOM someone plays.

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1359385829' post='1953899']
This could be a thread in itself but there are a lot of guys who are considered "great" who just don't move me.

This may ruffle some feathers, but...

I'd give my left leg to have John Patatucci's skills but I can''t think of a 4 measure phase he ever played that was memorable.

Victor Wooton -- sorry. He plays some lovely solo stuff but with the band, I don't hear anything particularly interesting.

Billy Sheenan -- same thing -- great "tricks" but other than that, he's a rock and roll bass player.

Charlie Haden -- he's interesting and musical, but a master? I doubt he could play over the changes of most standards.

Steve Swallow -- I think the fact that he's coming from a solid jazz background and decided to go electric and play with a pick makes him unique. He's fine -- just no monster IMO.

Cliff Burton -- I like him. And Master of Puppets is a great album. But one of the greats? I think that's a stretch. There are thousands of guys who play as well, they're just not in Metallica ! LOL

So a lot of it comes down to WHERE and with WHOM someone plays.
[/quote]

It's music. It's a matter of taste and the individal listener's emotional connections. I can't stand almost all the jazz I've ever heard, but I doubt your critiques of Steve Swallow and Charlie Haden would bear any scrutiny.

The fact is, we are all beginners, just that some are more advanced than others.

Another general thing that always pisses me off is that awful brainless statement that most of the players on Basschat could do what (insert name here [usually Adam Clayton] ) does. But they didn't. We can all play that one magical note or phrase, or learn the whole of Portrait of Tracey, but I very much doubt many would have been able to COMPOSE them.

The trick is to stop listening to bassists so much and listen to MUSIC. Then form your musical philosophy, develop your skills to match, and do something with them.

I mean, if you don't like hearing John Pattitucci, just stop listening to the c***.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='soul deluxe' timestamp='1359332834' post='1953301']
his groove at 7.20 imo makes Sharay Reed look slack, if thats possible..
[/quote]

I don't think he's nearly as interesting to listen to as Sharay Reed, he's not doing anything I haven't heard a typical gospel player do before whereas Sharay actually knows his way around his fretboard without sounding contrived. Just IMO.

I kind of like seeing a good bass player on YT but it's far more interesting watching one play as part of a band as that's where I think the majority of good bass players belong. I've got nothing against people posting playing alongs and such at all, if that's what people like to watch then cool.

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1359410832' post='1954486']Victor Wooten is the world's finest bass player. Listen past his YouTube vids.[/quote]

I just can't listen to the music he makes. There are players with a fraction of his technique and knowledge who have made better music. I don't care what he [i]can[/i] do on the bass I have to rate him on what he [i]chooses[/i] to do, and on the occasions that he's not obscuring actual notes with string noise he's playing schmaltzy-sounding rubbish.

Robert Sledge is a way better bass player.

Edited by thisnameistaken

And neither of them have sold any way near the records Guiggsy has. So what the actual f*** does it all mean? This subject matter and discussion is all bollocks, there is no more point to it than debating whether King Edwards or oak floorboards is better in blackcurrant blancmange.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1359413036' post='1954525']
And neither of them have sold any way near the records Guiggsy has. So what the actual f*** does it all mean? This subject matter and discussion is all bollocks, there is no more point to it than debating whether King Edwards or oak floorboards is better in blackcurrant blancmange.
[/quote]

Are we going by sales as the gauge what's good? Well, then I guess that would make McCartney the worlds best bass player. Wait a minute -- HE IS!!!

Edited by Lowender

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1359413036' post='1954525']
...whether King Edwards or oak floorboards is better in blackcurrant blancmange.
[/quote]

My 2p: Gotta be King Edwards. Oak floorboards are just icky.
* Puts ocelot down trousers and waits for oak floorboard fans backlash *

Edited by discreet

I've enjoyed seeing MarloweDK's online career flourish. He was a standout 'unknown' YT bassist back in the day- I guess now the expectation of him has changed but before the signature bass, DVD and popular website he was just a good guy putting videos on YouTube which showcased a great, relaxed feel.
Now he is seen as a teacher and therefore compared to the likes of Scott Devine and Dave Marks who IMHO are better teachers.
Good on him though- I am still a fan of his playing and feel. He comes across as a decent chap (but you can tell its a job now- a bit of the joy has gone from his playing)
I enjoy Sandokanbass, Knightmayorz is someone who I have followed for a while who has got better and better and before MarloweDK a guy called Stefanof uploaded some great stuff (2006)- not innovative, just well executed, good feel and articulation etc.
Check out jcsgroove too- another great guy and a player with a good groove.
The 2 Joy to the World Sharay clips are sublime.
Recently I have loved the vibe and interplay on the Michael League trio videos.
Just my two penneth.

Edited by chardbass

Nobody has mentioned this guy yet! :o

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x2i7AmCHXM[/media]

BTW, Youtube is all things to all people. Anyone expecting to like all of it is simply naive or deluding themselves.

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1359447951' post='1954771']
Nobody has mentioned this guy yet! :o

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x2i7AmCHXM[/media]

BTW, Youtube is all things to all people. Anyone expecting to like all of it is simply naive or deluding themselves.
[/quote]

Apologies if this is a daft question - Is that the guy from Barcelona??? Seen him/someone like him playing in the street many times.. Funky as it gets B)