Why become a member? ×

The 10 Best Bassplayers On You Tube

Lowender

To the people that don't understand the whole Youtube cover thing:
I do it on a regular basis, and I also make tabs to the songs I play.
The video acts as a reference for the tab so they can see exactly what's being played, when, and how it should sound.

On another note; I do it only for Asian music, which tends to lack any sort of tablature, or even decent covers for that matter.

Some people do it for the same reason I do: To help other people play along to the songs.
Some people do it to try and gain exposure (Most people do, and it does help)
And most people do it because they enjoy it. They enjoy the feedback that they get, which can help them to improve technique etc.

[quote name='RichF' timestamp='1359185425' post='1951205']
As to whether they are "pros" or not. I tend to take the view that "who cares?" but if I do care it's to say that what counts as a pro in this digital age is changing and if presenting your music to hundreds of thousands, if not millions, on You Tube and making money from it (as Marlowe DK does) doesn;t count as a pro, I have no idea what "pro" means.
[/quote]

But it's not "their" music, it's someone else's music with them (mostly) duplicating the bassline over the top. To me it's a bit like doing Karaoke with the original vocals left in.

[quote name='kerley' timestamp='1359189988' post='1951224']
A few of you are missing the point and use of Youtube here. It is a form of entertainment in itself and these bass players are providing that. Maybe not to you but to many others.

I don't want to see someone unboxing their new iPhone but clearly some people do so good for them and Youtube provides a means for them to see it.
[/quote]

But that means reducing the value of the playing to the level of an unboxing video, or one of cats being cute.

[quote name='Bassection' timestamp='1359204685' post='1951504']
To the people that don't understand the whole Youtube cover thing:
I do it on a regular basis, and I also make tabs to the songs I play.
The video acts as a reference for the tab so they can see exactly what's being played, when, and how it should sound.
[/quote]

Anyone that even half know me,knows why I find this amusing :)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1359207352' post='1951553']
So, a question for those Basschatters who have made a YouTube bass video.

Have you received any offers of musical work or been asked to join a band as a result of it?
[/quote]

He might not be a basschatter, but it looks like the Marlowe DK guy has done ok for himself...considering he has his own Sandberg signature series bass.

Re the theme this thread has taken on - each to their own....like it, don't like it...life's too short.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1359207068' post='1951546']
But it's not "their" music, it's someone else's music with them (mostly) duplicating the bassline over the top. To me it's a bit like doing Karaoke with the original vocals left in.
[/quote]

fair enough, you set high standards and define what is valuable in a specific way. Many guys on here are in cover bands and anyway, as pointed out only a couple of the people listed are "play along" artists. For example, most of Marlowe DK's vids are of original lines and the classical ones are phenomenal musically (even if not my cup of tea). I am with those who see plenty space in the world for this sort of thing. Dont like it? Dont watch it. Dont see the harm.

Oh and BTW, I dont agree that these are the best bassplayers on You Tube but are some of the best You Tube bassists on You Tube (i.e., they display their talent primarily through You Tube).

Edited by RichF

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1359149597' post='1950922']
Some people play along to background music in pubs and clubs. I wish they stayed in their bedrooms.
[/quote]

Well, its the route to success on xfactor. I am constantly pointing out to my teenage daughter that half the battle is won by singing 'someone elses' songs. Give them an original song some sheet music and a rehearsal room and see what they come up with. Same on youtube. Some guys have massive talent (eg davidsinrocks rhcp tribute band), but nothing original! Why bother playing at all, why not just mime the whole thing, as long as you look like you doing it who cares! Now where's that "autotune" ......

Edited by mentalextra

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1359207165' post='1951549']

But that means reducing the value of the playing to the level of an unboxing video, or one of cats being cute.
[/quote]

No it doesn't. Just because they are using the same medium doesn't make it all of the same worth.

It's funny, most everyone's snit is that the players are doing covers yet most of them also have originals but they aren't mentioned! lol

I think that's the reason to do covers. They're more assessable. Originals take time to absorb and on the internet it's too easy to just switch off. Years ago an album was something precious and it was common to spend days getting into it. No more.

At any rate, I'd say that Zander's version of Unforgiven and Plangent's arrangement of Lithium are the furthest things from "note for note " covers.

[quote name='soul deluxe' timestamp='1359254409' post='1952240']
this guy is amazing.. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XyTKjtL65o[/media]
[/quote]
See this guy is not sure what do play, he repeating licks and not really feeling the music.

Whereas this guy REALLY is ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pATcvr3zAhg

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1359255302' post='1952242']
See this guy is not sure what do play, he repeating licks and not really feeling the music.

Whereas this guy REALLY is ..

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pATcvr3zAhg[/media]
[/quote]

Agreed. The first guy was good but even without looking at him, you can tell he was uninspired. The second guy is groovin.'

I can't help feeling that a lot of this is Sport rather than music but I am also aware that the standard of these players in terms of core skills is a lot higher than it was in the past and that should be applauded. Aspiring to make a mark on youtube is pretty tragic, IMO, and playing other people's stuff ('bass covers' I think they call them) is a really odd way to spend your time.

I am aware, however, that this is like as not a generational thing and I, as a nearly 50 year old, am going to have a different perspective on the issue than 'the kids'. And that is as it should be. Better that they do this than smoke crack in a urine soaked stair well, I say ;)

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1359286129' post='1952404']
I can't help feeling that a lot of this is Sport rather than music but I am also aware that the standard of these players in terms of core skills is a lot higher than it was in the past and that should be applauded. Aspiring to make a mark on youtube is pretty tragic, IMO, and playing other people's stuff ('bass covers' I think they call them) is a really odd way to spend your time.

I am aware, however, that this is like as not a generational thing and I, as a nearly 50 year old, am going to have a different perspective on the issue than 'the kids'. And that is as it should be. Better that they do this than smoke crack in a urine soaked stair well, I say ;)
[/quote]with all due respect.. i think your missing the point... do you not want to make your mark musically, be live, recorded etc..? these bass covers are sometimes a great and expressive way of learning the songs and showing what you can do... do you not do this live or recorded.? im wondering if the music you make gets to more people than the bass players on youtube.? ive never done a youtube vid , and play original bass lines, but ive learned alot from learning other peoples music

maybe some of these guys spend a huge amount of time on youtube, but im sure alot of the really entertaining bass players spend most of there time practicing bass.. we all know on youtube, there are younger generation that post, shall we say, bass playing that needs a bit of work, but there is some great stuff also. to call these people tragic and express your views about 'bass covers' is imo looking down your nose at other musicians... its all a bit of fun and should be seen as such imo.. sorry to come across as abrupt :)

Edited by soul deluxe

[quote name='soul deluxe' timestamp='1359293020' post='1952533']
with all due respect.. i think your missing the point... do you not want to make your mark musically, be live, recorded etc..? these bass covers are sometimes a great and expressive way of learning the songs and showing what you can do... do you not do this live or recorded.? im wondering if the music you make gets to more people than the bass players on youtube.? ive never done a youtube vid , and play original bass lines, but ive learned alot from learning other peoples music

maybe some of these guys spend a huge amount of time on youtube, but im sure alot of the really entertaining bass players spend most of there time practicing bass.. we all know on youtube, there are younger generation that post, shall we say, bass playing that needs a bit of work, but there is some great stuff also. to call these people tragic and express your views about 'bass covers' is imo looking down your nose at other musicians... sorry to come across as abrupt :)
[/quote]

But are they marking any kind of mark beyond the on-line world. Is the height of their musical ambitions raking up the hit and "like" count for their videos and perhaps a bit of ad money? I can see the point if they are using the videos as a way of selling their abilities as musicians, but is it working? Have any of them got any regular musical work in the real world as a result of making their videos?

I'm not denying that there are some good technical skills to be learnt from some of these players, but none of them appear to be teaching what is IMO the most valuable musical lesson of all - how to interact with other musicians in the real world. Practicing at home improves my technical ability, but I learn far more about music and playing every time I set foot in a rehearsal room, at a song writing session, in the studio, or on stage with other musicians present.

Right so we're agreed then. Nobody do anything musically unless it the height of artistic and musical expression. If you aren't doing anything to advance your career or to play with others then just don't do it. No enjoying yourself. No playing your instruments just for something to do. And definitely no recording of yourself playing along to anything. Don't play covers. We only want the purest, form of original music.