Why become a member? ×

Derek Forbes - Funny Response on You Tube

bassatnight

Just seen the funniest thing on you tube, the great ex- Simple Minds/Propaganda bassist has a couple of clips where he is helping us mere mortals play some of his lines, some joker puts a comment on saying that if he (Derek) knew anything about Simple Minds he wouldn't play it this way! lmao - Dereks response is classic, if you care to look the clip is Derek Forbes - I Travel...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That reminds me of the story about Gary Moore asking George Harrison how to play 'that' chord (the opening of Help!). Harrison showed him and Moore replied "are you sure?" to which Harrison replied "well I was there at the time", making Moore feel a bit daft.

I'm not really sure if it's really true or a well-evolved urban myth, but it's such a lovely story that I like to believe it anyway. :D

I remember going to see Simple Minds in concert in about 1982 . It was great , and you could tell they were on the verge of big success . My friends at school who all liked Led Zeppelin , Lynyrd Skynyrd and Pink Floyd said that going to a Simple Minds gig was definite proof that I was gay . ( They were so wrong . )

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1359063478' post='1949429']
I remember going to see Simple Minds in concert in about 1982 . It was great , and you could tell they were on the verge of big success . My friends at school who all liked Led Zeppelin , Lynyrd Skynyrd and Pink Floyd said that going to a Simple Minds gig was definite proof that I was gay . ( They were so wrong . )
[/quote]

At school I loved Zep, Lynyrd Skynrd and Pink Floyd (still do!) and couldn't stand Simple Minds and my friends never called me gay. ( They were so wrong . ) :D :D

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1359060505' post='1949353']
:lol: :lol: :lol:

That reminds me of the story about Gary Moore asking George Harrison how to play 'that' chord (the opening of Help!). Harrison showed him and Moore replied "are you sure?" to which Harrison replied "well I was there at the time", making Moore feel a bit daft.

I'm not really sure if it's really true or a well-evolved urban myth, but it's such a lovely story that I like to believe it anyway. :D
[/quote]
Hard day's night, surely?

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1359110792' post='1949948']
Doh!

Yeah, that's the one.
[/quote]

Must admit that got me thinking as well. Funny thing is i always used to say to my guitarist "is the chord played right?". 10 years on, i still say it, and not just for that song lol.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1359113218' post='1950011']
Must admit that got me thinking as well. Funny thing is i always used to say to my guitarist "is the chord played right?". 10 years on, i still say it, and not just for that song lol.
[/quote]
The opening chord of A Hard days Night will never sound right with one guitar.
I'm sure a link was posted on BC several months ago explaining how the chord was in fact a 12 string, a 6 string, bass guitar and piano all at once.
IIRC:
George's 12 string: Fadd9/G
John's 6 string: Dsus4
Paul's bass: D
George Martin's Piano: ???