Why become a member? ×

Guild Starfire Bass announced at NAMM

EssentialTension

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

So have I! Forgot to post on here though. I went to Andertons a with the cash in hand but was sadly disappointed with the bass. The sound was lovely but the QC was shoddy.
They had another in the stock room which I had requested to see but after nearly an hour of waiting I left.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1399287699' post='2442709']
So have I! Forgot to post on here though. I went to Andertons a with the cash in hand but was sadly disappointed with the bass. The sound was lovely but the QC was shoddy.
They had another in the stock room which I had requested to see but after nearly an hour of waiting I left.
[/quote]

The one I played was spot-on. Very well finished

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1399287869' post='2442711']
The one I played was spot-on. Very well finished
[/quote]

The one I tried had a lot of finish issues around the F hole, and the side of the neck appeared to be somewhat gluey - not sticky but it looked like the fingerboard had been attached a bit haphazardly. It did play nicely but the E kept jumping out of the saddle when I played. I really wanted the bass and had the other one in the shop been up to scratch I'm sure I would have bought it but the staff seemed to be having a bad day, very disorganised.
I still want one though :D
[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1399313731' post='2443062']
How did it compare with the Coronado?
[/quote]

I know this was aimed at someone else but I tried a Coronado and a Starcaster at the same time. I found the Coronado to be very dull and uninspiring, with quite a low output. The Starcaster was the loudest and most aggressive if the trio, but quite heavy with it.

Of course, all three basses were wearing factory rounds which didn't do them any favours whatsoever...

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1399380171' post='2443589']
The one I tried had a lot of finish issues around the F hole, and the side of the neck appeared to be somewhat gluey.
[/quote]

+1 I've had a few girlfriends like that. :mellow:

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1399287699' post='2442709']
...I went to Andertons a with the cash in hand but was sadly disappointed with the bass. The sound was lovely but the QC was shoddy.
[/quote]
I tried to arrange a part exchange deal with Anderton's by email. If they had been able to give a straight answer to my emails I would have been down the shop spending money but they just stopped answering. So I'll go elsewhere.

Which colours did Anderton's have and which did you try?

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1399380171' post='2443589']
I know this was aimed at someone else but I tried a Coronado and a Starcaster at the same time. I found the Coronado to be very dull and uninspiring, with quite a low output. The Starcaster was the loudest and most aggressive if the trio, but quite heavy with it.

Of course, all three basses were wearing factory rounds which didn't do them any favours whatsoever...
[/quote]
Thanks, and agreed on the rounds.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1399313731' post='2443062']
How did it compare with the Coronado?
[/quote]

The Coronado has more possibilities then the Starfire with having two pups. I've not noticed the Coronado being low output, but given the Bisonic probably has more oomph. The Starfire may only have one tone, but it was very good.. woody with bite. Between the maple Coronado and the Mahogany Starfire you could maybe compare a TBird to a P bass.. of course don't hold me to that!

Both feel good in your hand and have a size that belies their scale. I think the Starfire body slightly slimmer and the neck may be fuller but with the same width. The one thing I did not like about the Starfire is that the pup is fixed. I could've easily got the action down on the one in Wunjos, apart from the strings might be banging off the pup. In my book this is a fail as you have limited set up options.

The one thing that the Starfire scores majorly over the Coronado is the weight. The Starfire is noticeably lighter and the weight of my Coronado has been my only -ve. When I ditched the useless factory strings for La Bellas on the Coronado it transformed the bass, and a set of La B's on the Starfire would make a formidable combination.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1399403437' post='2443954']
The Coronado has more possibilities then the Starfire with having two pups. I've not noticed the Coronado being low output, but given the Bisonic probably has more oomph. The Starfire may only have one tone, but it was very good.. woody with bite. Between the maple Coronado and the Mahogany Starfire you could maybe compare a TBird to a P bass.. of course don't hold me to that!
[/quote]
OK, thank you.

...I could've easily got the action down on the one in Wunjos, apart from the strings might be banging off the pup....
[/quote]
OK, but with semi-acoustic basses (IMHO) it's best not to have the action too low as it can strangle the tone and output. I've no idea if there is any science to this but it is my experience.

... When I ditched the useless factory strings for La Bellas on the Coronado it transformed the bass, and a set of La B's on the Starfire would make a formidable combination.
[/quote]
I used to have a Dearmond Starfire with Hammon Dark Stars and it was especially good with TI Jazz Flats.

This seems as good a thread as any to post this:

[url="http://www.guitarworld.com/acoustic-nation-fender-sell-guild-brand-cordoba-instruments"]http://www.guitarworld.com/acoustic-nation-fender-sell-guild-brand-cordoba-instruments[/url]

Not sure what this will mean for the Electric and Bass lines.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...