Why become a member? ×

Guild Starfire Bass announced at NAMM

EssentialTension

• 1 month later...

They have one in Wunjo's at £995. Got a call from Laurence on Friday to say it's the first one into Europe and went along today to try it out. It looks great - a really nice warm mahogany, and if anything the neck felt a little comfier than the one-pickup, although I'm sure they're to the same spec. Overall I wasn't blown away. The back pickup is a little bit closer to the bridge, and doesn't have the same punch/thump that the one pickup delivers. In fact solo'd it sounds more like a Jazz back pick-up which isn't my thing. It's better blended or front pick-up solo where it gives a nice woody semi-acoustic vibe. I'm not convinced how well it would sit in a mix, unlike the one-pickup which only does that mid-range honk but does it really well. Anyway, if anyone's interested I can't recommend Wunjo's highly enough and the guys down there will make you feel very welcome.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='edpirie' timestamp='1439745190' post='2845427']
They have one in Wunjo's at £995 ...
[/quote]

The [url="http://www.wunjoguitars.com/shop/bass-guitars/guild-starfire-bass-ii"]pics on the Wunjo's site[/url] make it look a much darker mahogany than the others we have seen on Youtube etc.

For example...

Was it darker or are the pics misleading?

• 7 months later...

Hi,
Just got a Starfire single pup on fleabay. Made 2013 Korea ........no cosmetic faults at all , but crap wiring ! .
Once I had set the action , and levelled the rosewood bridge saddles , adjusted the neck , put a set of La bella flats on , it plays really well ( as someone previously stated , and I totally agree - short scale basses need a higher action to stop the bottom e from rattling )
The neck is really slim , and fretwork is amazing .
Now to the crap wiring 1) the volume pot had no effect untill it reached the last 1/8th of a turn . 2) the tone pot was non existant - no audible change in sound .
Tried to remove the pots through the " f " holes , pots too big , so ended up removing the Bi sonic pup , and found a square hole through the side of the maple center block , which entered the inside of the body , but to get the pots out all the lugs would have to be bent in to make the pots small enough to come out ................then I noticed looking in that the volume pot had a " bleed " cap and resistor across the tags ! NEVER SEEN THIS ON A BASS BEFORE !
I managed to snip the cap leg and the resistor leg with the pots still in the body and >>>>>>>>>>>hey presto now I have a volume pot and a tone pot that work !
Used it last night at rehearsal with my Mesa Boogie M-Puls 600 and two Powerhouse 2x10 cabs >>>>>>>>>>>>BRILLIANT SOUND .
Got new mini cts pots and sprauge caps on order for a re wire . I think , with a pick , it really nails the sixties sound
Pete

Used it again last night rehearsal.....................tone pot has got a loose connection or contact , or loose wire goint to it .............when tone wound right back , vibrating crackling comming through the amp - tone full on no crackle !
Must get round to rewiring it .
Should be easy enough , mini cts pots will go through " F " holes , so a wired up harness can be made outsie and fed in .
Guild have sent me the latest version of schematic for the Bass ..................

[URL=http://s1298.photobucket.com/user/petetexas/media/Guild%20Schematic_zpsd9wi6af4.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag59/petetexas/Guild%20Schematic_zpsd9wi6af4.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

For anyone who needs it

Pete