Why become a member? ×

Heard myself sing through a mic for the first time...

cocco

Wouldn't have thought I'd need to simplify that - but here goes...

The OP found that his voice wasn't what he expected to hear when amplified,even though he was happy to sing generally.
This indicates to me the 'sound source' is 'sound' - but the mic/amplification wasn't set up for him. Combine this with little or no experience of using a mic/PA - and you get the same result as the OP described. I've seen it happen a few times myself....

A bit like learning on an acoustic guitar and then trying out on a Strat through a Marshall stack for the first time.

[quote name='OldG' timestamp='1359016007' post='1948409']

The OP found that his voice wasn't what he expected to hear when amplified,even though he was happy to sing generally.
This indicates to me the 'sound source' is 'sound' - but the mic/amplification wasn't set up for him. Combine this with little or no experience of using a mic/PA - and you get the same result as the OP described. I've seen it happen a few times myself....

A bit like learning on an acoustic guitar and then trying out on a Strat through a Marshall stack for the first time.
[/quote]

I think the OP was suffering more from "voice inside the head" syndrome. Basically not sounding the same outside their head as they did inside their own head. No amount of fancy Microphones or PA will resolve this as it requires training (which the OP already has said). Unfortunately for some of us microphones only amplify what is put in (and put a "generally" minor EQ on the voice as part of the process) so it is somewhat different to your guitar analogy I'm afraid.

[quote name='OldG' timestamp='1359016007' post='1948409']

[/quote]
mmm... sound source can be sound, and the singer can be happy singing along, but that doesn't mean the tonal quality is in any way good.

If you sound good, it doesn't matter what mic you use the quality in the voice will be self-evident. If you don't sound good, no amount of mic technique or flattering mic is going to fix the underlying issue.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1359017272' post='1948415']
I think the OP was suffering more from "voice inside the head" syndrome. Basically not sounding the same outside their head as they did inside their own head. No amount of fancy Microphones or PA will resolve this as it requires training (which the OP already has said). Unfortunately for some of us microphones only amplify what is put in (and put a "generally" minor EQ on the voice as part of the process) so it is somewhat different to your guitar analogy I'm afraid.
[/quote]
+1. We often think we sound fine/awful, but in reality we are each incapable of getting a true representation of what we sound like from inside our own bodies. This is because we hear more internal resonance, experience resonance shifts that others do not, and hear things sooner than the rest of the world listening, but we also hear less of what we sound like as a complete package or inside a given space.

[quote name='mcgraham' timestamp='1359020271' post='1948458']
mmm... sound source can be sound, and the singer can be happy singing along, but that doesn't mean the tonal quality is in any way good.

If you sound good, it doesn't matter what mic you use the quality in the voice will be self-evident. If you don't sound good, no amount of mic technique or flattering mic is going to fix the underlying issue.

+1. We often think we sound fine/awful, but in reality we are each incapable of getting a true representation of what we sound like from inside our own bodies. This is because we hear more internal resonance, experience resonance shifts that others do not, and hear things sooner than the rest of the world listening, but we also hear less of what we sound like as a complete package or inside a given space.
[/quote]

This sounds like wisdom gained from experience of vocal teaching. Is there a resource of this kind of knowledge that we can all access ? Hopefully some good tips would be there as well

I used to carry out media training. I never met single person who didn't listen to the playback of an interview without complaining that they hated the sound of their voice, as it didn't sound anything like they heard in their own head.

Off topic slightly, but most people don't like photos of themselves either. For an experiment my dad once developed some photos by turning the negative over. The print was effectively a mirror image and, without exception the subjects remarked that it was one of the best portraits they'd had taken.

We all have our perceptions of what we look and sound like and when the truth turns out to be different, we find it a difficult concept to come to terms with.

I know I can't sing. Everyone tells me. But give me a mic and I can hold pitch as I can hear myself (I still have a crap voice though).

Using a mic is like any instrument, you have to get used to it. My Wife has always been a fantastic singer & when I first gave her a mic to sing through, she was all over the shop as it sounded totally different to what she's used to. After a little practice on her own & then with some music, she was every bit as good again.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1359017272' post='1948415']
I think the OP was suffering more from "voice inside the head" syndrome. Basically not sounding the same outside their head as they did inside their own head. [/quote]

Totally agree! not disputing that in any way...

[quote]
No amount of fancy Microphones or PA will resolve this as it requires training (which the OP already has said).[/quote]

I'd use the term 'practice' myself
[quote]
Unfortunately for some of us microphones only amplify what is put in (and put a "generally" minor EQ on the voice as part of the process) so it is somewhat different to your guitar analogy I'm afraid.
[/quote]

All those different mics pre's and Pa's available out there are not gonna give identical sound... The guitar analogy was to compare to singing acoustically,then using a rig that was last used at a gig to be heard over the rest of the band. I thought it relevant...

[quote name='mcgraham' timestamp='1359020271' post='1948458']
mmm... sound source can be sound, and the singer can be happy singing along, but that doesn't mean the tonal quality is in any way good.[/quote]

I was crediting the OP with enough objectivity to honestly assess this in his voice - we are a musician's forum,after all.
[quote]

If you sound good, it doesn't matter what mic you use the quality in the voice will be self-evident. If you don't sound good, no amount of mic technique or flattering mic is going to fix the underlying issue.[/quote]

Agreed to a point... until you start using the mic/monitors it's difficult hear whats really going on - then the decent equipment and good mic technique will help you shape your tone and style...

[quote]
[/quote]

Totally agree! see above...

Never forget the old adage "poo in, poo out", if the PA is the best ever invented, then if the singer cant sing well or has a voice that sounds like poo tonally, then all that the best PA in the world ever invented will do is output poo really loudly and accurately.

A less good(garbage) PA would output a poorer representation of the voice (poo), but it will always be pooey garbage, remember the equation:-

(poo + garbage) != fabulous_darling

And you wont go far wrong.

In my limited (thankfully) experience of attempting (misguidedly) to use my voice in a musical fashion, it soon became apparent that no amount of training would make the apallingly flawed instrument I have available to me remotely forgivable in that context (its very good for shouting though). Similarly no amount of money spent on PA or recording facilities could in any way make anyone believe that it was secretly a fabulous voice and that it was mererly duisguised by the naff PA. Thank goodness you can trade up basses though, the first one I had was worse than my voice!

Edited by 51m0n

The point I,m labouriously flogging is.....

As stated above, we don't really hear what is coming out of our mouths - due to our ears listening mostly to the inside resonance.

Difficult then, to bring a voice that has had no prior practice whilst amplified to a pumped up PA - and expect to hear good things...
This doesn't mean the voice is bad - it just means practice is required to adjust to the required result.

I stand by good equipment being helpful - trying to learn vocals on your daughter's karaoke machine is like trying to learn bass on an old Kay.You just won't get results to inspire you.

I think everyone is furiously agreeing with each other using slightly different view points.

To get the best results:

Practice with a decent Mic (SM58 standard or better), monitor and PA - it's a slightly different but essential technique you need to master from singing unamplified.
Take some lessons to learn diaphram control and breathing techniques, this will increase your vocal strength and control. Then work on your pitch and harmonies.

Good Voice; Crap equipment = Crap Sound
Crap Voice; Good equipment = Crap Sound
Good Voice; Good Equipment = Happy Bass Players

Edited by bob_pickard

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1359020650' post='1948463']
This sounds like wisdom gained from experience of vocal teaching. Is there a resource of this kind of knowledge that we can all access ? Hopefully some good tips would be there as well
[/quote]
I blog on various things I feel I have something vaguely useful and concise to say, which I hope can help you understand a bit more of what's going on...

www.markjwgraham.co.uk/blog

and for a listing of the more article like things i've written

www.markjwgraham.co.uk/blog/articles

[quote name='bob_pickard' timestamp='1359028309' post='1948607']
Good Voice; Crap equipment = Crap Sound
[/quote]

Slightly disagree with this one in that I've heard a really excellent singer through a really rubbish mic and pa and she still sounded amazing through it :)

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1359030830' post='1948663']
Slightly disagree with this one in that I've heard a really excellent singer through a really rubbish mic and pa and she still sounded amazing through it :)
[/quote]
I'd also agree with Charic. It's a bit like bootleg recordings of a great band. You hear the quality of the sound source even through the poor recording.

[quote name='mcgraham' timestamp='1359030998' post='1948664']
I'd also agree with Charic. It's a bit like bootleg recordings of a great band. You hear the quality of the sound source even through the poor recording.
[/quote]

I dont so much - but thats my problem :D

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1359018548' post='1948428']
One of these:

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/boss_ve20_vocal_performer.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...l_performer.htm[/url]

... and you'll sound like Adele.
[/quote]

So I'll sound great but moan even more than I do now?
She's like Morrissey in drag, but without the class...

Not unless 'Lily The Pink' has been slipped in as a Bond theme, no ;)

In all fairness anyone on here who had recently won a Grammy for co writing a song that had been a hit and who had been invited to perform it at The 'Oscars' would be all over this site like a rash so good on her I say.

Edited by KevB