Why become a member? ×

Yamaha BB2024MX - Is mine the only one?

GreeneKing

When I ordered my BB2024 I was surprised to be asked if I wanted a maple or a rosewood fingerboard. I thought that rosewood was the only option.

I chose maple because I could and I'm glad I did. I'm not aware of another. Are you?

Oh it certainly equals all the hype btw :)

Peter

[url="http://peterb4407.smugmug.com/Other/SmugShots/20297576_MJZnTm#!i=1861702876&k=6HF8pHZ&lb=1&s=A"][/url]

That looks stunning. I've never seen another with a maple board. I've recently picked up a 2024 - and honestly cant believe how good it sounds. I've spent ages (and ££££) trying to get THAT sound from other basses - but the yammy just knows what to do. My bandmates are blown away by it too. I got the rosewood one which was the only one on offer (and, lucklily, I would have chosen anyway cos I personally prefer dark boards). Enjoy the new bass!

[quote name='GreeneKing' timestamp='1358535554' post='1941143']
When I ordered my BB2024 I was surprised to be asked if I wanted a maple or a rosewood fingerboard. I thought that rosewood was the only option.

I chose maple because I could and I'm glad I did. I'm not aware of another. Are you?

Peter

[url="http://peterb4407.smugmug.com/Other/SmugShots/20297576_MJZnTm#!i=1861702876&k=6HF8pHZ&lb=1&s=A"][/url]
[/quote]

I love this bass ! Really rare and rather special .

[quote name='GreeneKing' timestamp='1358535554' post='1941143']

Peter

[/quote]

On the question of whether this is the only one , it's conceivable that Yamaha did a special run with maple boards and that some were sent to Europe for display at the Musicmesse in Frankfurt last spring that were then made available to the public . Pure speculation on my part though , I have no real idea if that is the case . What I do know with certainty is that If that bass was mine I would keep it for the rest of my life .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1358536977' post='1941182']On the question of whether this is the only one , it's conceivable that Yamaha did a special run with maple boards and that some were sent to Europe for display at the Musicmesse in Frankfurt last spring that were then made available to the public . Pure speculation on my part though , I have no real idea if that is the case .[/quote]
No, maple and ebony touchboards are special order. I've got a ebony fretless due in April. Also giving thought to a sunburst/maple fretted.

Edited by noelk27

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1358537402' post='1941195']

No, maple and ebony touchboards are special order. I've got a ebony fretless due in April. Also giving thought to a sunburst/maple fretted.
[/quote]
Can't wait for the pics.

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1358537402' post='1941195']
[/quote]

Fair enough . I only mention it because I have seen one or two one-off specials from Yamaha at trade shows in the past . May I ask how long you had to wait for your special order from Japan ?

[quote name='GreeneKing' timestamp='1358539499' post='1941241']
I'm really not trying to show off :D

Thanks re the special order info. Mine must have been suplus. I paid the usual price.

A 2025 with ebony? :)
[/quote]

Is it coming to Moffat? Would be nice to try another BB, never tried one of the top models. I will have one with me from the impoverished (and undead) side of the family, a resurrected BB450 ;)

The first time I tried one of these at Bass Direct, probably a couple of years ago now, I said "It'd be my perfect bass if only they did one with a maple board." Apart from a James Lomenzo example, I couldn't find one anywhere.

I stand by my original comment, they are fantastic.

[quote name='nottswarwick' timestamp='1358536405' post='1941171']
Why can't I afford one of these. I'd love a 2025x. Btw, I watched ed bass whisperers review and he goes on about a noisy humming bridge pup. Is this an issue?
[/quote]
The J pup (soloed) does have a slight hum. Its a bit odd that its there - but its not really an issue as you can't hear it when you actually play anything. And the best sounds are from the P/J or P soled anyway. Its nothing really.

I too can confirm that these basses are everything they are cracked up to be and then a bit more besides . The build quality is as good as it gets at any price , and the sound is unique- full , rich and powerful . These basses are a bit of a bargain in my book , because to get anything this kind of quality from one of the so -called boutique builders you would pay prices well in excess of what these Yamahas retail for in the U.K .

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1358582417' post='1941596']
I will have one with me from the impoverished (and undead) side of the family, a resurrected BB450 ;)
[/quote]

Is that the one I gave to Roland Rock? I'd be pleased to know it's back together, and glad someone could do something with it.

Edited by alyctes

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1358605434' post='1942079']
Is that the one I gave to Roland Rock? I'd be pleased to know it's back together, and glad someone could do something with it.
[/quote]

Yeah, it's back in service, here are some pics: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/105826-yamaha-appreciation-thread/page__view__findpost__p__1836568

It's even better now, it's got the proper tuners and knobs on it.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1358582417' post='1941596']
Is it coming to Moffat? Would be nice to try another BB, never tried one of the top models. I will have one with me from the impoverished (and undead) side of the family, a resurrected BB450 ;)
[/quote]

Indeed it is Matt and you can give it a thrash :)