Why become a member? ×

Compressor Pedals with *blend* control - Who has one?

Dood

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1358802464' post='1945422']
no probs, the only problem is i getting the low rumblings of gas lol

andy
[/quote]\

Same here! It was searching that got me in to this trouble! - Ok, I will post back when I have had a chance tr try the pedal out. I think if it is what I am expecting from the video's suggestion, this could be a winner!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1358806401' post='1945534']
\

Same here! It was searching that got me in to this trouble! - Ok, I will post back when I have had a chance tr try the pedal out. I think if it is what I am expecting from the video's suggestion, this could be a winner!
[/quote]

Looks good, report back.
My only problem would be lack of controls, so would prefer to have the nova dynamics, if one ever turns up second hand.

I've got the Empress Compressor which has a mix/blend control for parallel compression, which works and sounds. It's not small, but is packed with features and has great metering, as well as side chain capabilities, but I set it quite subtly, so haven't had the need to use that yet.

I will confess, compression is quite new to me, so I am still in the experimental stages with it.

I have the Ego, and I was just this morning putting it back on my board to play around with.

The clean blend is excellent, particularly if you (like me) prefer having a natural attack to your note - all the attack of your normal playing, all of the sustain of a compressor = win.

It certainly helps even out certain things and bring things slightly forward in the mix while making it sound natural. The Ego is immensely tweakable given the volume knob (w/ boost and cut), clean blend knob, attack, sustain and a tone knob which adds (no cut) some top top high end sparkle to the sound. It's a veritable swiss army knife, e.g. one gig you are running synth sounds = no clean signal high sustain and immediate attack into OC2 etc... another it's slap = have 50/50 clean/compressed, add some top end with the tone knob, set sustain to taste... just want to even out your dynamics = clean blend more at 25% effected signal 75% clean, subtle sustain, easy peasy.

In general, I like clean blend as you can get the benefits of compression without the nasty squashing artifacts on the initial attack.

Would you achieve the same effect as parallel compression by running any compression pedal through an effects loop - using something like a Barge VB-JR? I'm going to try running my Demeter compressor through my Barge loop later, I'm intrigued to see what it sounds like.

[quote name='thumbo' timestamp='1358944931' post='1947370']
Would you achieve the same effect as parallel compression by running any compression pedal through an effects loop - using something like a Barge VB-JR? I'm going to try running my Demeter compressor through my Barge loop later, I'm intrigued to see what it sounds like.
[/quote]
[quote name='charic' timestamp='1358945281' post='1947380']
I'm wondering similar to the above but using a compressor and an LS2 to blend
[/quote]

yes, you would achieve the same thing by having a blend control on the compressor, or running it though a looper with a blend.

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1358953420' post='1947543']
yes, you would achieve the same thing by having a blend control on the compressor, or running it though a looper with a blend.
[/quote]

Also agreed - but be careful if you are using a DSP type compressor with an LS-2 as you'll probably get phasing issues with the two blended signals as the pedal signal will be everso slightly delayed. Not enough to feel in your playing but enough to notice the sound difference. Thankfully, most compressor pedals, such as the Multicomp or the boss types are straight analogue. The Nova Dynamics is actual a pedal that does it's processing in the digital domain. (This isn't a good example for using with an LS-2 though as it already has a blend on - but just illustrates the point).

BTW if anyone wants a true upwards compressor download the free pack from here:-

http://www.jeroenbreebaart.com/

Red Phatt (included in the bundle) is a very fully featured compressor that includes the ability to turn up signal below the threshold (rather than turning down signal above the threshold which is normal downwards compression - the diff is that downwards compression changes the transients, as does parallel compression).

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1359020181' post='1948456']
BTW if anyone wants a true upwards compressor download the free pack from here:-

[url="http://www.jeroenbreebaart.com/"]http://www.jeroenbreebaart.com/[/url]

Red Phatt (included in the bundle) is a very fully featured compressor that includes the ability to turn up signal below the threshold (rather than turning down signal above the threshold which is normal downwards compression - the diff is that downwards compression changes the transients, as does parallel compression).
[/quote]
interesting... thanks for the link.

I've got a Barber Tone Press which has a dry/wet blend knob for parallel compression.

Onilab review here > [url="http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/barber.shtml"]http://www.ovnilab.c...ws/barber.shtml[/url]

It was bought for my guitar but I use it interchangeably between bass and guitar.
I use it pretty sparingly but I do like what it does.
You can't vary the attack or the ratio so the blend knob is useful for tweaking the sound.
I usually have it at 50%, with a small touch of compression.

I have been considering an MXR M87 as i would like the ability to control all the parameters and get visual feedback on how much compression is going on.

Edited by tedmanzie