Why become a member? ×

Any Squier Stratocaster experts here?

BetaFunk

I'm going to buy either a mid 1980s Japanese 'E' Series(?) MIJ Squier Strat or a late 80s/early 90s MIK version. These models seem to be reasonably good value. Just wondered if the MIJ version is worth £100+ more than the MIK version.

I'm just looking for a simple functional strat for the occasional strum.

Any info or opinions much appreciated.

Worth is an interesting concept, but a lot of people will pay a lot of money for a MIJ Squier. *Personally* I find Japanese instruments to be the best available, and presently own 4 - my MIJ strat is still my number 1, but that's Fender badged, rather than Squier.

In your position I'd want to play them both, then select the one I liked best.

Also look out for the MIM Squier Strats, usually having Fender in solid black lettering in the usual place and a small round 'by Squier' decal on the round bit at the end of the headstock. They are apparently full US made bodies and necks that were shipped down to Mexico for assembly using cheap labour and low quality hardware. I have one of these too, and the hardware was indeed rubbish, but the instrument is light and plays really well now it has decent tuners, trem and pickups

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' timestamp='1358461807' post='1939862']
Worth is an interesting concept, but a lot of people will pay a lot of money for a MIJ Squier. *Personally* I find Japanese instruments to be the best available, and presently own 4 - my MIJ strat is still my number 1, but that's Fender badged, rather than Squier.

In your position I'd want to play them both, then select the one I liked best.
[/quote]

[quote name='Moos3h' timestamp='1358462764' post='1939882']
Be very careful - despite all the nostalgia and 'lawsuit era' reverie, I've seen both E series Jap and MIK strats with ply bodies. Whip off the covers and have a poke about before paying!
[/quote]
Thanks to both of you for the info. I've done so much searching on the web it was beginning to scramble my brain!

Since seeing both MIK and MIJ ranging between £200-£350 i'm not sure whether a new Classic Vibe might be another option. They seem to get good reviews.

[quote name='Moos3h' timestamp='1358462764' post='1939882']
Be very careful - despite all the nostalgia and 'lawsuit era' reverie, I've seen both E series Jap and MIK strats with ply bodies. Whip off the covers and have a poke about before paying!
[/quote]

+1 to this. I used to have a MIK Tele from that era and the body was ply. It was still a good guitar though. I've also had an MIJ E serial strat and that was solid wood and a lovely guitar. If I remember correctly it also had Fender stamped tuners and bridge.

I had a brand-new Korean Squier strat in 1992, and it wasn't very good, to be quite honest. It had a plywood body, unpotted ceramic pickups, nasty tuners and pots that died. A new Classic Vibe would wipe the floor with it! It could probably have been upgraded and set up to play OK, but I wouldn't pay any more for one than you would pay for an Affinity or similar.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

• 3 weeks later...

I've not had any MIK Squiers but have had two E series MIJ. Both were exceptional guitars and although I opted to keep just my USA Strat, the others both played far better. They creep up in value so your investment would be safe.

Not sure if that will happen to the Classic Vibes though.

Not an expert in any way but I have a JV Squier Strat, it just happens I bought it back then as a cheap guitar to strum and still have it, it's nice enough but I would have thought a modern secondhand Fender would be just as good.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1360154780' post='1965668']
I finally got a 1990s MIK Squier Stratocaster. It's plywood, cheap and is just the job!
[/quote]

Yeh, I've had a S/H MIK Strat and a Tele, they were both very good instruments. They were not ply AFAIK, but they both played and sounded really nice. A bit of fettling, new nut, and a fret dress and I reckon most people would have trouble telling them from Mex and USA models. I had a CV Strat too, that was also excellent.

I had a 1992 MIJ Squier Strat which I bought new at the time and that had a ply body. It felt, played and sounded excellent - my bandmate (who was a bit of a Stratoholic at the time) would often borrow it as he preferred it to his US Strat. 'Sweeter' he'd say.

I've also had a 2009 MIM Strat, a Vintage/Wilkinson Strat and a 50s Classic Vibe Strat (blonde/gold scratchplate). The MIM was my favourite for feel, playability and sound. The Vintage sounded a little brighter but for a sub £100 guitar (it's very hard to sell a Vintage instrument!), it was ace - sounded great, but the edges of the neck weren't as comfortable as the MIM. As for the 50s CV - I'd probably struggle to pick between that and the MIM, given that it was £200 cheaper, was well put together, felt great in the hand and looked fantastic with the white/gold colour combination. Soundwise, very similar to the MIM.

Edited by Green Alsatian

I got a chinese squier strat 22 fret there really cheap if you see them on ebay im currently cleaning it up but im impressed its solid would with good fit and finish also i picked up an encore vintage standard in local music shop £65 its got lace pickups and wilkinson trem sounds like a strat should if you see one try it

I don't get the stigma with plywood bodies, and considering US Fenders of a certain era were made with the most awful pieces of broom handle wood glued together the integrity of plywood is often superior. I think when people see the word plywood they think of the crappy stuff you get from a builders merchants. There are guitars in excess of £3,000 new with plywood bodies!

I just renovated an early 90s Squier strat for a mate. It's been used on tour with Whitesnake, played on countless records and it has a plywood body and horrid tuners. Sounds and plays really well though!