Why become a member? ×

2013 Closet Classic Precision

discreet

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1367692701' post='2068526']

Did you see the 2011/ 12 Precision Pro ? It was beautiful , which is why these latest ones are such a bad joke :

[/quote]
Yea, if you had a slim P neck (as opposed to a narrow J one) with a maple fingerboard, then that is exactly what I'm talking about!

I wouldn't want to be paying custom shop prices though, but how about a series in between the American Special & Standard ranges? I think that would be interesting...

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1367755656' post='2069055']
Yea, if you had a slim P neck (as opposed to a narrow J one) with a maple fingerboard, then that is exactly what I'm talking about!

I wouldn't want to be paying custom shop prices though, but how about a series in between the American Special & Standard ranges? I think that would be interesting...
[/quote]

Your best bet might just be getting a Jazz pickup put on a post - 2008 American Standard . The 1.625 nut width and modern "C" profile on those basses is perfect for what you want . Why Fender don't make one like that , I have no idea . I'm sure plenty of people would buy them .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1367757242' post='2069082']

Your best bet might just be getting a Jazz pickup put on a post - 2008 American Standard . The 1.625 nut width and modern "C" profile on those basses is perfect for what you want . Why Fender don't make one like that , I have no idea . I'm sure plenty of people would buy them .
[/quote]
The trouble is I already have an Am Std Jazz and it's not that great. I got it s/h on here and spent a fair bit on a fret dress to make it playable and putting a new bridge on it. It's also a touch on the heavy side, unlike SOME 70s fenders that I've played / owned.

You're second point is exactly what I'm trying to say - I'm sure that loads of people would actually buy a bass like that if they sold at the right pricepoint!

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1367760335' post='2069121']
The trouble is I already have an Am Std Jazz and it's not that great. I got it s/h on here and spent a fair bit on a fret dress to make it playable and putting a new bridge on it. It's also a touch on the heavy side, unlike SOME 70s fenders that I've played / owned.

You're second point is exactly what I'm trying to say - I'm sure that loads of people would actually buy a bass like that if they sold at the right pricepoint!
[/quote]

Is your American Standard Jazz a post -2008 ( when they had the upgrades ) one ? In any case , as we all know , Fenders of any vintage are totally hit and miss when it comes to finding a good one . I too have owned some very light 70's Fenders , by virtue of the fact that I would never buy a heavy one , but I probably wouldn't choose to pay the going rate for one nowadays when I look at what else I could have for the money .

• 1 month later...

[quote name='timeworks' timestamp='1372799645' post='2130239']
[url="http://forums.fender.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=86876&p=978897#p978897"]http://forums.fender...=978897#p978897[/url]

Read it ALL.
[/quote]

Yeah man, suitably bonkers for a bass player...
Welcome strange 4 string Brother :D

[url="http://forums.fender.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=86876&p=978897#p978897"]http://forums.fender...=978897#p978897[/url]

Read it ALL.
[/quote]
If you are another incarnation of LarryNJ, why do you care what the members of this forum think of your bass? You obviously love it and we don't care, because none of us can play and we do stupid things like playing basses other than Fenders and commenting on the aesthetics of a bass (something one can do without laying a finger on it). Silly us.

Be a nice chap and bugger off - you wouldn't want your friends to think you were one of us BassChat idiots would you? In the meantime, we'll wait until somebody we've heard of reviews the bass without sounding like this:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFlcqWQVVuU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFlcqWQVVuU[/url]

I might be completely misunderstanding here but from what I can read from the dates of this thread and the other one if the guy that keeps posting here under 2 or 3 different names is Larry NJ from the other forum then when he first started posting how good it sounded he wasn't in posession of the bass at all. If he's picked it up as a one off from a trade fair then sure he might have got to play it briefly there but I wouldn't make many sweeping statements about any instrument after a bit of a noodle around at one of those places.

Read it ALL.
[/quote]

[b]READ IT [size=6]AGAIN;[/size] pertinent statements have been highlighted to grab your attention, seeing as there seems to be a LOT of ADD combined with inability to intelligently respond-! :lol:[/b]

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1367696299' post='2068574']
Good comment. For me, the price sets the context for the discussion - do I see a product which matches the price tag being asked?

Larry does, seemingly. A lot of us do not. The price sets the bar very high for the instrument.
[/quote]

"Larry" is working this Bass! :lol:

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1367527252' post='2066594']
HE'S BACK !

Crownpoint / Redburst/ Loonytunes or whatever alias you are using on any given day , I have awaited your inevitable return with much anticipation ( well .. not that much , but if it makes you feel more important ... ) . Your bizzarre ramblings will always be fascinating to me , and if it was up to me I would never ban you from Basschat . I would love to see what a tortured individual like you could conjure up on a regular basis . Just the fact that you have actually paid good money ( or at least claim to ) for the worst piece of sh*t the Fender Custom Shop have ever made means it would be great to have you about , if only to make fun of . Basschat needs a resident asshole , and you would do a fantastic job .
[/quote]

Hey "Dingus" :lol:
:lol:
YOU are a NATURAL for [i][b]resident asshole[/b][/i]; here and elsewhere!

[quote name='timeworksV2' timestamp='1372859599' post='2130799']
Hey "Dingus" :lol:
:lol:
YOU are a NATURAL for [i][b]resident asshole[/b][/i]; here and elsewhere!
[/quote]

Yes Larry . I'm an asshole . I should have known better than have tried to hide it from your ferocious intelligence , Larry . I wish I was as cool like you are , but I know I will always just be a sad geek who can't play the bass for sh*t compared to you . The truth is , Larry , that I think I might be a little bit in love with you . Does that mean I might be gay ? I have certainly never felt this way about any man before now but it is just another sign of what an amazing man you are Larry . When I saw that photograph of you on the Fender forum I got very excited in a very unusual way , if you know what I mean :gas: As well as being very clever and talented you are a[u][i] very[/i][/u] handsome man , but I know in my heart of hearts that you are way out of my league . I may be an asshole , but my asshole belongs to you Larry . I'm your bitch now . Treat me like the slut I am !