Why become a member? ×

Ebay rant #21478566

Pow_22

So ive just sole my old bitsa P bass on ebay inc hardcase for £140. The ad specifically stated colelction only from Bolton so it was no surprise when the winning bidder contacted me to arrange delivery to Jersey!!!!

They did (in fairness to them) try and contact me about 2 minutes before the auction ended asking if i would post to Jersey but i didnt get the message until they stuck a last second bid on it to win.

A few online quotes are around £60 which the buyer said is ''ridiculous'' and asked that i take it to my local PO to get a parcel force quote.

As the bass is in a hardcase im not to worried its more the inconvience of it all, especially when the second highest bidder had contacted me in plenty of good time to arrange delivery to manchester (which i said id do for a cuppa).

Rant over

I'd go to the second highest bidder on this one - sounds like he could be a pain in the backside, and should arrange his own courier as you clearly stated your postage terms. No way should the onus be on you to go and get quotes for him to approve, and 2 mins before an item closes is taking the mick!

Best of luck with it! :)

I can't recall the last item of any size I put on eBay that wasn't 'collection only'. Too much messing about with couriers these days. If it goes for a bit less money but the buyer collects and pays cash I'm still happy. As others have said, sell to second bidder. Your conditions of auction were clear on the listing. I'd never bid on a 'collection only' auction if I knew full well I couldn't pick it up.

[size=5][sub]Cheers Guys. Im wondering if i should ocntact ebay first to make them aware of my intentions to offer the second bidder a "second Chance" in case the buyer causes a fuss? I know the stories that ebay often side with the buyer[/sub][/size]

Edited by Pow_22

Cancel the auction on the grounds of him not abiding by the auction rules and then sell to second highest bidder outside of eBay. Knock a few quid off for him and you'll still be better off through not paying fees.

Edited by chaypup

I would remind the winner that it is collection only, and tell him to sort it out.
You will require confirmation of pickup within 48 hours or you will sell the bass to the next highest bidder.
Then contact the next highest bidder and offer it to him for the price he bid if you are prepared to.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1357651613' post='1925982']
I would remind the winner that it is collection only, and tell him to sort it out.
You will require confirmation of pickup within 48 hours or you will sell the bass to the next highest bidder.
Then contact the next highest bidder and offer it to him for the price he bid if you are prepared to.
[/quote]

Exactly this^.

[quote name='Pow_22' timestamp='1357649293' post='1925895']
[size=5][sub]Cheers Guys. Im wondering if i should ocntact ebay first to make them aware of my intentions to offer the second bidder a "second Chance" in case the buyer causes a fuss?[/sub][/size][/quote]

I wouldn't bother contacting eBay unless he actually [i]does [/i]cause a fuss. eBay will side with you if anything because your terms regarding collection are very clear, and in any case he hasn't paid you, so there's no case to contend anyway.
[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1357649205' post='1925892']
I can't recall the last item of any size I put on eBay that wasn't 'collection only'. Too much messing about with couriers these days.[/quote]

That is why I use Parcelforce. I take it to Post Office in my own time and don't have to wait around for couriers to turn up etc,.
Parcelforce is not the cheapest at around £16 but that is paid by the buyer anyway so no difference to me.

Like you say, local pickup can make a massive difference to the final price.

Edited by kerley

As i recall in my law degree, you made the terms of sale clear, you won't ship, he insists you ship. The sale cannot be performed.
However Talk to eBay to cover yourself as he may give you neg feedback out of spite. It happened to me and eBay will not remove it.

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1357650259' post='1925926']
Cancel the auction on the grounds of him not abiding by the auction rules and then sell to second highest bidder outside of eBay. Knock a few quid off for him and you'll still be better off through not paying fees.
[/quote]

If I was the second bidder I would not buy it on those terms. I did once and got ripped off and there was no comeback as it was not sold on Ebay. I'm not implying by this that there is anything wrong with the bass, it's just a case of "once bit, twice shy".

Steve

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1357656249' post='1926088']
As i recall in my law degree, you made the terms of sale clear, you won't ship, he insists you ship. The sale cannot be performed.
However Talk to eBay to cover yourself as he may give you neg feedback out of spite. It happened to me and eBay will not remove it.
[/quote]

Do you get the opportunity to leave feedback if the transaction isn't completed?

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1357657901' post='1926125']
ok then - second chance offers...

[url="http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/sell/second_chance_offer.html"]http://pages.ebay.co...ance_offer.html[/url]

NOT outside of eBay.
[/quote]

Oh, I know you're not supposed to do it outside of eBay but that's what I'd do.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1357657946' post='1926126']
As a seller you can't leave negative feedback. It's been like that for a while now.
[/quote]

Yeah, that's what I thought, but I think Geek99 was meaning the OP was in danger of a slagging off the buyer for not completing, or at least that was my interpretation.