Why become a member? ×

Recommendations for a cheapo 5 String Bass?

Mr Fretbuzz

I would advise not to get a cheap 5 string as a 5 is a very different instrument to a 4 string. So would advise to push your budget up to a good second hand 5 on here. From what has been suggested above, I was very suprised at the playability of the OLP 5's but also like ATK's a lot of working bass for the bucks

[quote name='WinterMute' timestamp='1357051018' post='1916762']

If you can find one, the Tony Levin sig model is very, very good and cheap too.
[/quote]

I agree, the only thing that let's them down a little is the floppy pick guard but that's easily fixed after that its a bass more akin to more expensive versions :)

Don't have one myself but I played one once and they are extremely good for the price and the low B actually has some weight behind it (which can be a problem with cheap 5 strings).

http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_squier_vint_mod_jazz_v_nt.htm

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1357056977' post='1916879']
What about a passive Yamaha BBN5? I had one of these as my first 5 string, and used it for over 10 years. Great bass, well built and a really good entry bass for the novice 5 string player.
[/quote]

God damn I love the look and the sound of those BB's... It's a shame Yammy basses just don't "feel" right to me.

[quote name='deepbass5' timestamp='1357153369' post='1918312']
I would advise not to get a cheap 5 string as a 5 is a very different instrument to a 4 string. So would advise to push your budget up to a good second hand 5 on here.
[/quote]

This completely. IME the reason most people don't like 5-string basses is because they try a cheap one and didn't get on with it. The low B requires much better construction for the neck and neck joint than a standard 4-string bass. Some manufacturers try to get around this by making the scale length 35" but most of the time this is cheap and quick fix that rarely works. It's perfectly possible to build a good 5-string bass with a 33" scale length - it just costs more. The only decent 35" scale 5-string basses I've played were expensive instruments anyway and the extra inch wasn't a fix for a poor sounding and feeling B string.

I'd try and up your budget by a couple of hundred pounds and look for something second hand. And don't buy without playing it first.

another vote for Yamaha. There is someone here trying to sell his BB605 for many months now, I think it was £170 or 200 with a Hiscox case. Beautiful bass with a very interesting preamp. I've had one of them (still in my avatar), one of the best basses I used.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1357310257' post='1920748']
I'd try and up your budget by a couple of hundred pounds and look for something second hand. And [b]don't buy without playing it first.[/b]
[/quote]

+1 This. Whatever budget you settle on, just make sure you play it first. Like me for instance with the Squier - I saw it on the shelf and thought "hmm, an affordable 5-string, might be okay..." then tried it and loved it! I knew these were supposedly good basses but I would never have bought it had I not tried it in the shop.

I've got a Vintage EST96 Stingray-alike 5-string which is excellent, can't fault it. I also had a Dean Edge which was very good; and Yamaha can't be faulted for build quality, although I can't stand the look of them personally.
Also for secondhand, have a look around for a SGC Nanyo-built Bass Collection, the MIJ ones are almost uniformly tremendous.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1358765566' post='1944493']
The difference between a 34" scale and a 35" scale is about 1.4mm at the first fret (from the nut) and gets less as you go up. Shouldn't make a huge difference to playability although some clearly think it does.
[/quote]

Maybe, but IME it makes zero difference to the sound and feel of the low B while adversely affecting the G and in some cases the D as well.

I still haven't come across a 5-string where there is any substitute for making a good neck and neck/body joint in order to get the B string sounding and feeling good, and that can be done perfectly well with a 33-34" scale instrument.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1358765963' post='1944500']
Maybe, but IME it makes zero difference to the sound and feel of the low B while adversely affecting the G and in some cases the D as well.

I still haven't come across a 5-string where there is any substitute for making a good neck and neck/body joint in order to get the B string sounding and feeling good, and that can be done perfectly well with a 33-34" scale instrument.
[/quote]

Yeh - it seems to be a bit of a black art!

• 1 month later...

Didn't get a really cheap one in the end and glad I didn't. I was looking for a Peavey at the show but didn't find one , tried a Musicman of sorts with neck dive ...Got a G & L L2500 at the Bass Show with 36% off at £492. Been enjoying it and took it to my lesson with Mr Ace today who gave it the thumbs up :) A good buy.