Why become a member? ×

Practicing Covers

yepmop

Hi All

Just thought i'd share the process I go through when learning cover songs as I'm bored at work.

Once I've decided to learn a new song, I go to this site [url="http://www.karaoke-version.com/"]http://www.karaoke-version.com/[/url] and select the custom tracks option and search for the song i want to do. This is a really good site for songs to play along to, generally the quality is quite good, you can download as many times as you want and can cahnge keys/beat and even remove individual instruments. Obviously you remove the bass and you have the song to play along to, but on occassion i just download the drums track to play along to.

I also download just the bass part to help get the right notes etc but on some rare occassions they use a keyboard for the bass line. the tracks are quite cheap to buy at £1.99 each and downloaded as MP3 and remanin in your account to customise for years to come.

After I have learnt the line, I then add the mp3 (without the bass line) from the above site to Pro Tools on a laptop then record myself playing the bass line to it (via M-Audio Fast Track). This gives me a really good indication to how I sound playing the song (or how bad).
Also, If (like I do a lot) you change the line to one of your own, you can here how it sounds and if it really does go with the song.

All in all it's really good fun and I quite often load them up on my home audio system crank the the bass combo up and have my own gig, i even sometimes record myself singing on the songs but that tends to scare the kids.

If the song is not available I revert to playing along to the original and download a tab if I get stuck on a part but is not as much fun.

What are your practicing regimes?

Cheers

Tony

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1356961711' post='1915626']
I tend to play along to the original tracks, but that sounds a good idea :D
[/quote]

I basically do the same, I grab the audio from youtube & import in into audacity so I can slow it down & loop sections.

Tony, you are bored aren't you. I'll keep you company.

I dowload or am given the MP3. I put it on my iPod and listen to it in the car until I've learned the verse, chorus, middle 8, solos etc.

Then, at home in front of the PC. I plug in my bass and play along. Any bits that I really struggle with I'll use Goldwave to select and auto repeat passages until they're right.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1356968592' post='1915794']
Then, at home in front of the PC. I plug in my bass and play along. Any bits that I really struggle with I'll use Goldwave to select and auto repeat passages until they're right.
[/quote]
Cheers for that TimR , are you able to loop passages in mp3s with Goldwave? If I play along I use VLC slowed down but being able to loop certain passages would be a huge bonus :-)

Yes. You can do almost anything. Slow down, speed up, pitch change, EQ, loads of other mastering stuff, fades, reverb etc. It's a great tool. I bought it, not sure why, I think it kept coming up with a registration notice or something. There's an additional free plugin you have to download to work with MP3s.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1356966425' post='1915747']
I just turn up at the gig read the dots or watch the guitar players hands :lol:
[/quote]

There ya go Bilbo.....

[url="http://www.karaoke-version.com/custombackingtrack/van-morrison/moondance.html"]http://www.karaoke-version.com/custombackingtrack/van-morrison/moondance.html[/url]

:P

[quote name='yepmop' timestamp='1356970647' post='1915833']
[i]Thanks Tim - A New Year's present from me to me :) [/i]
[/quote]

The batch processing is a neat feature. You can literally normalise, and convert loads of .WAV files straight to any MP3 bit rate or other format.

It will even separate a long recording of a gig into smaller files based on drop in volume between songs.

Edited by TimR

Youtube....

Don't care about the key, just get the song working in my head..and pref from a live version.
Everything else is fixed when we play it

It might help if we are all playing the same version... or make it easier, but you know how you are going to play it within a few bars...and who hasn't listened to it :lol:

I tend to download it onto my iPhone and transcribe it from there. If it goes off on one, I'll put it through the 'Amazing Slow Downer' app which will adjust the speed but not the pitch. Really useful. Also enables you to adjust the pitch in semitone steps.

Transcribing wise I usually punch it straight into Sibelius.

[quote] name='tonyf' timestamp='1356970512' post='1915831']

There ya go Bilbo.....

[url="http://www.karaoke-version.com/custombackingtrack/van-morrison/moondance.html"]http://www.karaoke-v.../moondance.html[/url]
:P
[/quote]

Oh, look. Hell has frozen over! I can open that file now. (karaoke AND Moondancr! I must have died and gone to heaven)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1356963641' post='1915683']
If it's a song I like I'll just work out the changes from the record. If it's a song I don't like then I say 'I'm not playing that'. Elton John? Yeah it might be a classic but I'm not doing it. I don't care who wants to hear it, tell them to do one.

I said no.
[/quote]

This...

I dont make much money out of it, so I'm not doing something I dont enjoy.