Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Orange Terror - anyone interested in a casing for theirs ?

mikegatward

I'm in discussions with a woodworker guy about making a prototype casing for my Orange Terror. It would be covered in orange tolex and would be designed so the amp could be pulled out easily to allow for valve changes etc. It will probably incorporate mesh parts around the vented areas.

If the prototype is successful, I might look to have a batch of these made up so wondered what the likely interest would be from the BC community. I've no idea on cost as yet - and the cost may well come down to the numbers involved

So if you're interested in taking it further then shout up. i'm also interested to hear ideas about design

I've heard of people in the US making and selling this type of thing but it all seems a bit hit and miss and impractical in terms of shipping costs etc

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1356003154' post='1905477']
A few fairly obvious questions:
[list=1]
[*]Will this design change (i.e. enlarge) the dimensions much?
[*]What sort of weight penalty would come with the wooden casing?
[*]What ballpark cost figure have you in mind?
[/list]
[/quote]

Can't gauge costs yet but I will take the minimum weight gain/dimension increase into the design requirements

I once made an amp cover out of an old oak bureau, a fireguard and some veneer offcuts, and it turned out quite nicely. You're right to ensure easy access to the gubbins (I wish I had :-D). Note that many cases have the face and knobs recessed to provide protection - something I decided not to do and it's never been an issue, but you may want to consider it.
If it's being covered in orange tolex, I don't see any reason that it couldn't be made from ply. This can be light, strong, and less prone to movement, as long as you get your jointing right.

let us know how you get on

Sounds like it would look pretty cool, but isn't half the appeal of a Terror Bass the fact that it's small and light? Won't this just add bulk and mass and make it less easy to carry around?

Can't help thinking "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"...

• 4 weeks later...