Why become a member? ×

How much??? '51 Precision Jap RI

How much?,these normally fetch £4-500?

Its not limited, and it's not a '54. A sunburst slab precision is just wrong, and isnt a reissue of anything Fender ever made?

This still has almost 2 days to go, and its £820?

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251196240138?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1426.l2649"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251196240138?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1426.l2649[/url]

Even the blonde '54 Jap reissues (Which are very rare BTW, don't fetch anywhere near this one)

In another note... while seeing blond versions of the same thing on ebay for about £300 I also saw this.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEARN-TO-PLAY-THE-BASS-GUITAR-ON-DVD-18-/280968045081?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item416b002219 does the (18) mean it's for over 18's only? what on earth is he doing with his bass?

sorry off topic

[quote name='Fender_Greg' timestamp='1355647472' post='1900797']
They must have paid a lot to add all those pictures![/quote]

Nah... you upload the first pic (the 'gallery pic') for free when you do the listing, then host the rest on Photobucket and link to them from the description. Costs nowt. I always wonder why more people don't take advantage of this fact... :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1355614385' post='1900686']
It's not limited, and it's not a '54. A sunburst slab precision is just wrong, and isnt a reissue of anything Fender ever made?[/quote]

Yes indeed, early 54s were 'natural' with a black pg and had initially had a top contour only - the other contours (and an increase in radius on body edge) were added, then came the change to a white single-ply pg later that year, then came the sunburst finish. The pickguard size was reduced to match the new radius. There never was a 54 'slab' precision. But you knew that already... :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Fender_Greg' timestamp='1355647472' post='1900797']
Even says on the pic of an old receipt £575.

[/quote]

It also says on that receipt that it's a '51 Re-Issue rather than a '54.

The bit I love is the carefully photographed pots & wiring, so that you can see that they're the original '51 Re-Issue pots and the original '51 Re-Issue solder is still in place. I really should check that the pot-codes authenticate back to a genuine '51 Re-Issue.

You can't be too careful when buying high-value vintage basses, you know.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1355656082' post='1900920']
It also says on that receipt that it's a '51 Re-Issue rather than a '54.

The bit I love is the carefully photographed pots & wiring, so that you can see that they're the original '51 Re-Issue pots and the original '51 Re-Issue solder is still in place. I really should check that the pot-codes authenticate back to a genuine '51 Re-Issue.

You can't be too careful when buying high-value vintage basses, you know.
[/quote] if you're selling a japanese fender for over £800 then these little touches help you know!

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1355656082' post='1900920']
[/quote]

I just want to dust off the little bits of sawdust on the front of the body where he's undone the screws. Grrr, that's really got my OCD going.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1355748583' post='1902069']
You see how someone has told him it's not a '54ri...[/quote]

That was the current mrs discreet. I wish she'd stop getting involved in my bass hobby - that's my thing. She should limit herself to fixing the car, doing the plumbing and repointing the house, like a good wife should...

* dons crash helmet and steel codpiece and awaits inevitable feminist backlash *

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1355748583' post='1902069']You see how someone has told him it's not a '54ri and he then has asked what year reissue they think it is.

The answer is not only on the reciept but it's stamped in the neck pocket!![/quote]
What, you mean the "51" stamped on the body and on the neck mean it's a '51 reissue? I'd never have guessed!
;)

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1355745312' post='1902006']
I just want to dust off the little bits of sawdust on the front of the body where he's undone the screws. Grrr, that's really got my OCD going.
[/quote]

Jeeez, how do you get through the day, must be very stressful??? :P

I jest of course, I think we all have varying degree's of OCD, and my Wife and Son would happily share the list of all mine!! :rolleyes:

[quote name='S9_S12_Bass' timestamp='1355768074' post='1902516']
Ah, just realised its actually at the base of the neck, what I was looking at was the random brown blob where it would be on the headstock which now makes me wonder why the blob is there?
[/quote]

'Blob'? Love it, made me smile, from now on, the walnut cap, will be called 'The Blob'. :D