Why become a member? ×

EBAY USA anyone bought from here?

burno70

I'm eyeing up a couple of pedals and found that you can buy them for between 1/2 and 3/4 of the price you would pay for them over here.

Has anyone dabbled with the USA EBAY market at all? Are there any hidden customs or handling charges that I need to be aware of?

Thanks

[quote name='burno70' post='198486' date='May 14 2008, 08:53 AM']I'm eyeing up a couple of pedals and found that you can buy them for between 1/2 and 3/4 of the price you would pay for them over here.

Has anyone dabbled with the USA EBAY market at all? Are there any hidden customs or handling charges that I need to be aware of?

Thanks[/quote]

Hello!

Lots of info here already - have a seach about.

Here's a starter for ten:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=139"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=139[/url]

To answer your question though... yes, I do. All the time, and.. yes, there are.

Edited by wateroftyne

[quote name='burno70' post='198486' date='May 14 2008, 08:53 AM']I'm eyeing up a couple of pedals and found that you can buy them for between 1/2 and 3/4 of the price you would pay for them over here.

Thanks[/quote]
Me too. With the present exchange rate pretty much anything from the US will be cheaper.

If it costs more than £18 then you will have to pay VAT on the import. Normally this will be paid by the mail service (UPS, Parcelfarce) when the item reaches the UK and you then have to pay them (plus a service charge) before they will release it and deliver to you.

The charge will be based on the item value as declared on the customs slip attached to the package - which is why you will sometimes find items arriving declared as a "gift" or with a nominal value ($10). You should beware asking for an item to be mis declared as HMRC/Customs are not fools and you run the risk of the item being confiscated at worst. Also should the item go AWOL your compensation will be on the declared value.

So you need to price the whole thing up, purchase price, postage and allow for 17.5% VAT. If it is still cheaper then go for it - and you may find it comes through without getting picked up for the VAT

There's a guide on the wiki: [url="http://wiki.basschat.co.uk/info:buying:importing_gear"]http://wiki.basschat.co.uk/info:buying:importing_gear[/url]

Also has links to the letter of the law on the matter, the rather impenetrable UK customs and excise website.

Although i would NEVER try and get away with it also...........i ..ahem,sorry,i mean a friend of mine gets a lot of stuff from the states,he avoids UPS like the plague and always gets things shipped via USPS global priority,he finds that with smallish parcels more often than not his friendly neighbourhood posty delivers it and does'nt ask for any import charges thankyou very much. :ph34r:

Edited by kennyrodg

There you go, all the above is true, but dont forget, returns are a bit tricky, scammers are out there, I normally check feedback, ask a few questions and get the feel for someone, plus you do get paypal protection and instant money exchange even if they cream a bit off, then you have the wait,parcels normally have a tracking code with them so you can keep an eye on their progress, but touch wood, everything ive done has worked out ok, even down to a bass a guy posted via usps just in its unlocked case with a small bit of paper with my name and addy on it, plus the stick on clear plastic declaration envelope, I couldnt belive it was in the case and in tune !

Yeah, +1 to all the above.
I've found it all worked well, but its good to strike up a 'proper' relationship with the seller, with proper questions and answers and all that. Don't just plough straight in with a BIN and expect great service.
Personally I've found it more worthwhile with larger items. Thats when the postage is easily offset.

Top tip for the day...
Find yourself a mate in the US armed forces thats currently posted in the UK. The US Military operate their own postal system. Essentially they have PO Box based in NYC... you get the seller to post to that address (ie. only US postage costs) then Uncle Sam flies them gratis transatlantic to the base in the UK. No customs charges, as essentially the US base in the UK is US territory.
Allegedly :)

I've bought a few cheap bits & bobs from the US - for small stuff like screws & such it can be ridiculously good value compared to the likes of Allparts UK - and quicker delivery, sometimes.

I've also had a Badass II for £27 delivered, got away with customs charges on that, and a few years back I bought 4 sets of Elixirs - for about £45 delivered! This was quite strange because they were left sitting on the step with a customs charge payable note attached. I suppose because I'd been out when they came, the Postie couldn't be arsed with whatever paperwork they required & just left them. I waited to see if I'd be contacted with a proper bill for payment but never heard anything.

I did read on a different forum that there are moves afoot to change the customs threshold for EU countries - I think it's suggested that this may be raised to around £120 at the end of the year. Whether or not this will apply to the UK I couldn't say - but it would be good.

Jon.

[quote name='molan' post='199580' date='May 15 2008, 01:55 PM']I've heard of people getting things sent as "gifts" which avoids tax & duties. . . . .[/quote]
Indeed, but it only avoids it if customs do not smell a rat, open the package & find the invoice - in which case you run the risk of it being confiscated. As most have said we all know "someone" who has received a parcel straight through without query, but if you start trying to get clever about it you run the risk of getting burnt.

I recall seeing a query from a bride to be on a Tax forum who was going to get her wedding dress from the US and get it described as a gift, "was that OK?" and the only answer to that was you might "get away with it" but it was not a tax planning move, rather a tax avoidance matter and there was a fair chance that the wedding would be ruined by customs confiscating the dress.

Basically it comes down to don't ask the seller to misrepresent the item as that way sorrow lies. Price in VAT on the import when deciding if it is worth it compared to buying from the EU (Thomann & the like) and if it does not get picked up for the charge when it arrives in the UK, well that is just bunce

Edited by WalMan

[quote name='molan' post='199580' date='May 15 2008, 01:55 PM']I've bought loads of stuff.

Getting some decent dialogue going with the seller is a great idea. Makes you feel much more comfortable.

I've heard of people getting things sent as "gifts" which avoids tax & duties. . . . .[/quote]

Up to a point - I think the threshold is slightly, but not hugely, higher on 'gifts'.

The seller can legitimately declare the wholesale value of the item as opposed to what you're actually paying, if he doesn't mind letting on how much profit he's making.