Why become a member? ×

JJ not using his own signature amp?

The Dark Lord

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1354614199' post='1887952']
Usually with endorsements, wherever you go, the company will provide amps and cabs for you instead of you taking your own. So I imagine they just couldn't source any.
[/quote]

+1 on this . The biggest benefit for internationally touring musicians with amp endorsements is that the deal will usually provide a touring rig in different territories ie. Europe , USA , Australia ect . It is usually the responsibility of the brand distributor in that country to provide equipment for touring endorsees .

AFAIK I think Jet is planning to do the tour next year-he was taken ill early on in this year's and Ian Barnard, his tech, took over (and did a bloody good job I thought when I saw them in March in Bristol). Ian wasn't available for the later dates this year, so Jim McCauley from Mike Marlin's band (support last year and this as well) did those. Jet doesn't tour overseas these days so that's why Jim did the dates down under. From some of the things JJ has said in interviews recently, I fear the band's days are numbered, which with Jet's health I guess is no surprise.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1354622369' post='1888145']
+1 on this . The biggest benefit for internationally touring musicians with amp endorsements is that the deal will usually provide a touring rig in different territories ie. Europe , USA , Australia ect . It is usually the responsibility of the brand distributor in that country to provide equipment for touring endorsees .
[/quote]

This.
The rig (and everything else) will probably have been supplied by either the local distributor or a rental
company (Like John Henry in the UK or SIR in the US),and it's a lot easier to get hold of the ABM than it
is to get the JJ signature amp.It would be a nightmare to tour worldwide with all that gear.

The situation shown in the first post, for me, mostly negates the point of having an amplification endorsement deal. Surely the point for the endorsee of such deals (especially when you are a fairly big name band like the Stranglers) is that you can rock up at a venue in a foreign country and your choice of rig is going to be ready and waiting for you. At this level IMO it's all about specifics of equipment choice. Just because you like some products in a manufacturer's range doesn't mean you like them all.

I agree. Endorsements are all about fans seeing the artist playing the endorsed gear, in order to boost gear sales. Otherwise there's no point at all? Surely?

Cobblers to logistics IMO. Can they not carry a couple of the heads with them? Then hire the cabs? No?

Nowt wrong with the ABM of course, I'm going that way myself ;)

As was stated earlier,he does actually use the ABM so there is no problem there.
With regards to getting the specific amps,I think a big part of it is availability in specific
locales. Not every specific thing is available in every country.It doesn't lessen the
endorsement in any way...JJ's rider probably just specified Ashdown ABM series
amplifiers. It's not a big deal-the company has supplied the required equipment.He's still
playing the through the amplifiers that he endorses and being given support by Ashdown
It would have been a bigger issue if he was given SWR or something.
I've seen loads of players on all instruments use different gear than their regular rig,but they
have all been supplied by the company they endorse (eg Marcus Miller using an SWR Redhead
rather than his signature preamp).

I don't know how different JJB's signature amps are from whatever Ashdown model they are based on, but...

If I was an endorsee important enough to get my own signature amp that had been developed to meet my bass guitar needs and I had as distinctive a sound as JJB, I'd be mightily disappointed to turn up to a gig to find that the company I was giving my backing to, had failed to supply the correct equipment to allow me to get my signature sound.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1354821246' post='1890930']
I don't know how different JJB's signature amps are from whatever Ashdown model they are based on, but...
If I was an endorsee important enough to get my own signature amp that had been developed to meet my bass guitar needs and I had as distinctive a sound as JJB, I'd be mightily disappointed to turn up to a gig to find that the company I was giving my backing to, had failed to supply the correct equipment to allow me to get my signature sound.
[/quote] i think he's too old in the tooth/been doing it too long to worry about all that, i would be, as long as i had a decent sound which he will get out of that lot

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1354821246' post='1890930']
[/quote]

As was stated earlier,he actually uses the ABM series.He did before he had a signature amp,and he still does now-so
he has actually been supplied the correct gear.
I think you'd be more disappointed if you either had to carry all your own rig (logistically,it would be a nightmare) or if
you were supplied with completely the wrong gear.

It's very common to do one-off gigs, festivals or tour-ets in far away places and only take a "fly-pack" as I'm sure you'll realise it quite difficult / expensive to take a band's entire backline setup on a commercial flight.

This is usually consists of the guitars & basses, pedals, cymbals, snare & kick drum (and possible laptops for sequencing and sampling) and most of the band and crew only taking hand luggage in order to be able to check all of the gear in.

Most of the time the band's rider will be fulfilled by local supply company sourced by the promotor but it can lead to some comedy and rather boring substitutions and also threads like this!

A band who I've regularly worked for over the years has a few endorsees in it, most notably the bassist who is currently using the TC blacksmith but is able to take the RH750 away on these fly-pack gigs as it's so small and light.
Everyone appreciates that comprimes sometimes have to be made so you have to be a real diva to throw your toys out of the pram if you don't get the exact spec / make / cabs that you want - after all, most of the sound that you hear from FOH or on stage often comes from a DI anyway (depending on the monitor & FOH engineers' mixes of course - feel free to correct me if you believe otherwise).

The drummer in said band, is a Tama endorsee and whilst loading into a fly-pack gig recently we noticed the kit that had been supplied from the local company was a Yamaha which was controversial to say the least - a couple of quick applications of PVC tape later, and the kick drum proudly said "Tama". Happy days!

bluesparky - I completely agree what what you say from a logistical PoV.

However, that leaves me as a musician at a bit of a loss as to what I would get out of endorsing a particular make of backline. For me the whole point of being an endorsee would be so that at "fly-away" gigs like this the local distributor of my chosen amps and speakers will be responsible for ensuring that my specified rig is on stage waiting for me when I turn up. Otherwise surely the technical rider supplied with the band's contract should be sufficient?

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1354880429' post='1891498']
bluesparky - I completely agree what what you say from a logistical PoV.

However, that leaves me as a musician at a bit of a loss as to what I would get out of endorsing a particular make of backline. For me the whole point of being an endorsee would be so that at "fly-away" gigs like this the local distributor of my chosen amps and speakers will be responsible for ensuring that my specified rig is on stage waiting for me when I turn up. Otherwise surely the technical rider supplied with the band's contract should be sufficient?
[/quote]

I can see where you're coming from, I'm sure everyone would like to think that if you're an endorsee, or even have a technical rider that needs to be met at a gig, then you should expect to get your gear of choice when you arrive.

Sadly, regardless of what instrument you play, whatever lighting / sound / production equipment you request or even what star hotel you demand to stay in there are often times when even the best will in the world the perfect answer simply can't be achieved.

These are the times where you just suck it up and deal with it.
Having a gig or two here or there is something that just needs to be dealt with - however if you're an endorsee and you're consistently not getting the gear you request then you're either doing too many shows in the wrong place where it's simply not possible to get the equipment there, or you need to re-think the production aspect of your setup (whether it's your production management or whether you're endorsed with a smaller company who don't have worldwide customers).

This is of course my random ramblings and are not specifically related to the OP - the reason why the JJ isn't using his amp could be utterly different ... (it could be broken! :D ).