Why become a member? ×

What devalues a bass?

snazz

Pretty much any mods devalue an instrument. My P has a DiMarzio Will Power pup that suits my playing and sound. But most people wouldn't like it, it can't suit everyone. The original will go back in if I ever sell.

Mind you, it's been 10 years.

[quote name='rushbo' timestamp='1354568354' post='1887588']
it's mine gosh darn it, so I'll fiddle with it until the cops come!
[/quote]

Exactly! Too many people on here spend too much time worrying about what other people do with their own possessions!

My Geddy Lee had already had pickups replaced twice by the time I bought it. I have replaced the scratchplate with a black one and added a rear-routed double battery compartment to run the EMGs at 18V.

I couldn't care less if it devalues the bass as it is (apparently) a 2009 and will not reach the holy grail status of "vintage" until I am in my sixties. I have no intention of selling it - so it's my business what I do with it! :rolleyes: :D

Edited by Conan

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1354564014' post='1887481'] but because you don't have one in your sig isn't this a good thing? [/quote] True, just think in general it's a shame that they seem not to hold their value. Great basses.

Edited by fender73

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1354556275' post='1887330']
Too many people get a bass then whip out the tool box. Leave them alone.

Concentrate on playing them better not frigging around with the wiring.
[/quote]

Or get the right bass in the first place.

Here is an example-
I bought an Affinity Jazz for £150 new, I have added;
Bartolini pickups £130+ a pair?
BadAss bridge £100 when available?
Fender Pickguard £30?
Full size tuners £40? Free fitting as a mate did it but would need headstock drilling at someones cost if you cant do it.
EBS active pre amp £100 and moved jack socket onto the body to free up the hole etc which would all cost to be done normally if you cant.
New knobs £15.

So whats that, £565 and whats it worth £300? I would be better off selling it in bits!

Routing a new pickup hole into the body?

Pete - you forgot your Fender logo which makes it priceless.

Anyway, consider this...

Early sixties jazz bass, routed for an extra pickup...

devalued? You'd think so.

What happens if you have non questionable evidence that Leo himself did it?

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1354630985' post='1888383']
I think £300 would very very ambitious....I think you'd be lucky to see £200 tbh

yeah sell it in bits
[/quote]

£300 would be a steal. That thing plays and sounds sublime.

But yeah, realising £200 for it is probably about as good as it gets :(

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1354624882' post='1888236']
Or get the right bass in the first place.
[/quote]

OK... but how do you find out which is the "right bass" without trying lots out first? Any maybe adapting them to suit your own individual preferred sound, look or playing style?

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1354633968' post='1888430']
OK... but how do you find out which is the "right bass" without trying lots out first? Any maybe adapting them to suit your own individual preferred sound, look or playing style?
[/quote]

Well, for a start, if you're going to mod something, don't buy a Fender (good general advice anyway, I think :D)

I'm in favour of modifying basses to your requirements. If part of the reason for buying the bass is its resale value and modifying it would reduce that unacceptably, it's time to sell it and find one that you are willing to modify or that suits you better in the first place.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1354632657' post='1888403']
Anyway, consider this...

Early sixties jazz bass, routed for an extra pickup...

devalued? You'd think so.

What happens if you have non questionable evidence that Leo himself did it?
[/quote]

Well, that makes it a prototype and you put an eye-watering price tag on it.

What about if it was done (not by Leo Fender but, let's say, John Diggins) specifically for Jet Harris or Tony Goggle?

The modding question really depends on what you want out of your bass (or guitar for that matter). If you're buying an instrument you're intending to use (and abuse) then changing pickups, wiring, scratch-plate, etc. can make a [i]good[/i] instrument into [i]your [/i]instrument.

If you're buying something you're certain you're going to move on at some point and want to recoup as much cash as you can, then you're better off leaving it well alone.

[quote name='Dr M' timestamp='1354641007' post='1888594']
The modding question really depends on what you want out of your bass (or guitar for that matter). If you're buying an instrument you're intending to use (and abuse) then changing pickups, wiring, scratch-plate, etc. can make a [i]good[/i] instrument into [i]your [/i]instrument.

If you're buying something you're certain you're going to move on at some point and want to recoup as much cash as you can, then you're better off leaving it well alone.
[/quote]

Great post! I think that just about sums it up! B) :)

Refinishing it and modifying it in a big way (eg putting an extra J pick up on a P) seem to have the most detrimental affect on value of name brand instruments. Just look at the prices on any vintage guitar site and you can see by how much.

The modification thing appears to be confined largely to Fender instruments, and lower priced copies of mainstream basses. Not sure why that would be other than availability of after-market parts, or a belief that they can be improved.

You don't hear of many people modifying Alembics, Musicman, Sadowsky, Warwick, Gibson etc etc, and if they do they usually keep the bits to enable reversion to original spec. Perhaps the people buying them think there's less to be gained by 'upgrading' them.

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1354556275' post='1887330']
Modding never adds more value to an instrument than the amount you've spent.

Modding will [i]always[/i] devalue an instrument that relies on its age, originality, rarity or uniqueness for its value.

Too many people get a bass then whip out the tool box. Leave them alone.

Concentrate on playing them better not frigging around with the wiring.

(/rant)
[/quote]
This.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1354554364' post='1887301']
1975 qualifies as vintage, so any modification will automatically devalue the bass. 1999 won't hit vintage status for a while, so upgrading the pickups or fitting an after-market pickguard shouldn't do any damage and might actually add value.
[/quote]

I've added new and better pickups to basses before, pickups that cost £60 used at least, and it didn't add value to the bass.

For some reason(more so on here) people are a bit anal, anything you sell, even if it's a squire standard, people ask if it has the orginial parts available etc etc. if not people don't seem interested.
Bits-a-basses even if all parts are from fenders made in the same place they don't seem to sell for what a complete as standard fender would.