Why become a member? ×

New cab. Something fancy.

Jesso

I've tried quite a lot of cabs, so I'm looking to try something a bit different. I fancy a cab with a dedicated high / mid speaker, as I've never gone that route.

I currently have a Barefaced compact / Midget set up, which I like a lot.
But, I'd prefer to have a one cab solution as an option.

The compact is great on it's own, but I miss the tweeter. I'm not a treble junky, I suspect a 5 or 6 inch dedicated high mid driver would satisfy my top end needs. The midget doesn't have enough low end form me on it's own..... but it does sound great with the compact, and is a very handy speaker to have around the place.

Like I say, they're great, but I fancy another option. GAS is a terrible thing, and you can never have too many cabs eh?

So..... the contenders. It's most probably going to be 2x12 cab of some sort. A 4x10 is a touch too big footprint wise, same with a 6x10. It can't be too heavy, and it has to have a very tough finish, as it won't be flightcased and will spend a lot of time in the van.

Baer M212.
EAD foundation 212.
Hevos Donar.

Berg AE or HD 212 ( no separate mid driver in these though).

These are all roughly the same price (ish) and I know they will all be great in their own way. Just wondering if anyone has tried any of them and looking for any thoughts / musings on the subject. Are there any other cabs that should be on my list?

Out of that list... for me, the EAD, the finish on that should keep the cab looking good for many years. Just make sure you keep the protective slip on it to prevent the grill getting scratched up. The Genz 212 mentioned is great, the EBS 2x12 is great if you like your top end response (but remember it can be tamed by a tweeter) and you should defo look at the offerings from Berg and Vanderkley. At this level, there is no wrong choice, it's just preference.

What amp are you using?

PS a lot of the cabs you mention have a similar footprint to a 4x10... The Genz is probably the wiser choice if you want the benefits of getting the drivers closer to your ear whilst taking up a smaller footprint... oh and it sounds great.

I've just taken delivery of a Barefaced Big Twin T, it is an extraordinarily capable bit of kit, 2x12, 6" mid and tweeter, with variable volume for the tweeter and a pad for the mid too if you need it.

Not cheap, but you know what your going to get with Alex's work.

I looked at the fEARful, but it's hard to judge what you'll end up with without a dedicated builder.

If the Twin is too big, try the Big Baby, one less 12 driver.

Thanks for the replies all.

[quote name='WinterMute' timestamp='1354188036' post='1883198']
I've just taken delivery of a Barefaced Big Twin T, it is an extraordinarily capable bit of kit, 2x12, 6" mid and tweeter, with variable volume for the tweeter and a pad for the mid too if you need it.

Not cheap, but you know what your going to get with Alex's work.

I looked at the fEARful, but it's hard to judge what you'll end up with without a dedicated builder.

If the Twin is too big, try the Big Baby, one less 12 driver.
[/quote]

For the sake of variety, I'd like to try something other than barefaced.
And, although they are very light and powerful, I've already managed to damage my compact / midget a bit. I have them in Roqsolid covers, but this doesn't seem to stop the edges at the front from chipping, which is annoying. Also, the feet on my compact keep falling off. Very annoying.

All those cabs are going to be good in their own way. It's a tough choice (First world problems!!) , but I'm leaning towards the EAD at the moment. I love the way it looks, and the finish is probably the toughest.
I will check out the Genz neo. I didn't think the footprints would be as big as a 410, but then I haven't seen any of those cabs in the flesh, so point taken.

I've been through a few EBS cabs. I like em usually, and I've heard the 212 is great, but I fancy trying a make I've never owned.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1354186596' post='1883165']
fEarful 1212/6/1?

[/quote]

I've read a lot about Fearful over on talk bass. But there's nobody around here making them, (Dublin) so I wouldn't be totally sure about the quality of what I was buying. Unless you've any suggestions?

Ampwise, I'm using a Mesa Boogie Mpulse 360 right now, but I'll probably downsize in the next little while. I fancy a streamliner, a randy jackson Markbass job, or a shuttle of some sort.

I like the look of em too. All the demos I've heard of the GB stuff makes it look right up my street.
[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1354194273' post='1883347']
Streamliner or shuttle will sing with any genz cab :) I have just bought a 9.2Max head and can't wait to try it out!
[/quote]

[quote name='Jesso' timestamp='1354195116' post='1883364']
I like the look of em too. All the demos I've heard of the GB stuff makes it look right up my street.
[/quote] I have three amps and 2 cabs from them now, I'm very happy.
[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1354195767' post='1883382']
I think you are sold on the EAD 212....
[/quote] they do look very good I think I could live with ead too :)

If you switch to Talkbass, the Baer 112 cabs are getting stellar reviews all the time. Apparently the treble in 'just right', and the mids are stunning.

They are also, IMO, fantastically well designed from an aesthetics view point. When you are spending big money, aesthetics HAVE to be considered.

It is worth noting that the fearful cabs have a very 'PA' like type 'tone'....they say they are fairly neutral, but apparently they sound very different to a normal bass cab. They have a HUGE low end eith polite mids. From what I have heard, its nothing like what I'm used to and I'd probably dislike it.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1354202206' post='1883519']
If you switch to Talkbass, the Baer 112 cabs are getting stellar reviews all the time. Apparently the treble in 'just right', and the mids are stunning.
[/quote]

But what about the bass??? That's the bit that bassists really need. :yarr:

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1354203493' post='1883556']
But what about the bass??? That's the bit that bassists really need. :yarr:
[/quote]

Too much bass is not good. It ends up being a huge thuddy mess. I prefer a tight low end with really punchy low mids/mid mids.

Treble to taste.

Let the PA do the really low bass.

To throw another cab into the mix....
Just been at a friends house, playing through his 3 x 10 Demeter cab. A rare enough cab I'd say.... but sounded amazing. Very present in the low mids, had that lovely "burly" thing going on. Sounded much nicer at low / mid volumes than my barefaced cabs..... although my experience with the barefaced in a live situation is very good. I've learned never to judge a cab until you've gigged it! So, I have a loan of the Demeter for the weekend. 3 gigs, so I should get an idea of how that stacks up against the barefaced stuff. A 310 is a nice compromise. Pretty loud, but more portable than a 410.
I've got a bit of GAS for the EAD.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1354205965' post='1883617']
Too much bass is not good. It ends up being a huge thuddy mess. I prefer a tight low end with really punchy low mids/mid mids.

Treble to taste.

Let the PA do the really low bass.
[/quote]

I must agree with you.
Too much bass on stage just annoys my bandmates.
Tight focused low mid is what the doctor ordered.
Luckily, I'm the man on the desk, so I let the PA do the heavy lifting. In most cases that works better for me.