Why become a member? ×

get new strings not a new bass!

dub

Up till recently I was thinking that my musicman didn't sound as good as it used to and I was finding there was far too much string noise, especially when I was recording.
I have used a few different makes strings but mainly D'Addario xls for years and had bought a set of elites as I needed some new strings in a hurry for a gig and that was all I could get and they sounded pretty good for a while.

I just bought some DR silver stars which seemed kind of expensive but I wanted to try something different.
They are a massive improvement on the elites to my ears and I have no problem with too much string noise now.
They have a deep, dark tone relative to other strings. I'll be interested to see how long they keep their tone.

The DRs might not suit everyone, especially if you want a really bright tone but if you're not totally happy with your bass tone I would recommend trying out some different makes of string to your usual ones. It might take a while to find the right ones for your bass but it might be a lot cheaper than buying a new bass or amp!
On the cheaper end of the scale try the nickel bass strings from the bulk strings section at www.juststrings.com they are pretty good for the price.

[quote name='dub' post='197194' date='May 12 2008, 02:57 PM']Up till recently I was thinking that my musicman didn't sound as good as it used to and I was finding there was far too much string noise, especially when I was recording.
I have used a few different makes strings but mainly D'Addario xls for years and had bought a set of elites as I needed some new strings in a hurry for a gig and that was all I could get and they sounded pretty good for a while.

I just bought some DR silver stars which seemed kind of expensive but I wanted to try something different.
They are a massive improvement on the elites to my ears and I have no problem with too much string noise now.
They have a deep, dark tone relative to other strings. I'll be interested to see how long they keep their tone.

The DRs might not suit everyone, especially if you want a really bright tone but if you're not totally happy with your bass tone I would recommend trying out some different makes of string to your usual ones. It might take a while to find the right ones for your bass but it might be a lot cheaper than buying a new bass or amp!
On the cheaper end of the scale try the nickel bass strings from the bulk strings section at www.juststrings.com they are pretty good for the price.[/quote]

They want more for shipping than they do for the strings! Any European dealers? LordOfTheStrings don't do DR, unfortunately.

My issue with trying new strings is that I hate the sound of all strings for the first few months. Because of this, the three basses that I own all have their original strings on them. The only thing that would make me change would be breaking a string. I might start a second hand string donation thread.

[quote name='bremen' post='197212' date='May 12 2008, 03:25 PM']They want more for shipping than they do for the strings! Any European dealers? LordOfTheStrings don't do DR, unfortunately.[/quote]

[url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings/bass_guitar/dr?page=2"]Strings Direct[/url]

[quote name='spinynorman' post='197220' date='May 12 2008, 03:33 PM'][url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings/bass_guitar/dr?page=2"]Strings Direct[/url][/quote]

Cheers, Spiny, I've bookmarked that. I was hoping to try some DR Jonas Hellborg strings but can't find them anywhere.

Yeah - as the strings slowly get dirtier and lose their edge, you don't notice the bass sounding duller. Then all of a sudden you think the bass doesn't sound as good as it used to. Give the strings a boil or buy a new set - it's like a new bass again, nearly.

[quote name='Machines' post='197237' date='May 12 2008, 03:54 PM']Yeah - as the strings slowly get dirtier and lose their edge, you don't notice the bass sounding duller. Then all of a sudden you think the bass doesn't sound as good as it used to. Give the strings a boil or buy a new set - it's like a new bass again, nearly.[/quote]

Or clean them with meths, apparently. There was a thread up on here not that long ago which suggested cleaning your strings with methylated spirit to dissolve all the crap out of them. Just not crystal meth, obviously.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='197215' date='May 12 2008, 03:29 PM']My issue with trying new strings is that I hate the sound of all strings for the first few months. Because of this, the three basses that I own all have their original strings on them. The only thing that would make me change would be breaking a string. I might start a second hand string donation thread.[/quote]

I like brand-new strings. PM me your address and I'll send you some nearly-news.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='197215' date='May 12 2008, 03:29 PM']My issue with trying new strings is that I hate the sound of all strings for the first few months. Because of this, the three basses that I own all have their original strings on them. The only thing that would make me change would be breaking a string. I might start a second hand string donation thread.[/quote]
+1 I love the old string sound - in over 3 years of playing, I have never once bought a new set of strings, although I suppose for a couple of my basses I could do with taking the OPs advice, just coz I don't like the strings rather than coz they're worn out

Ever since I found Elixirs I have been in heaven. I used to avoid playing my bass when I put new strings on because I didn't want them to go dead!! I have had the same set of Elixirs on my number one bass for over a year now!!! I don't sweat much and play really lightly but still, very impressive. I have three new boxes and recently put a new set on to see if it was just my mind playing tricks, but nope, the same. Brand new sounding after a year....

ped

[quote name='ped' post='197254' date='May 12 2008, 04:05 PM']Ever since I found Elixirs I have been in heaven. I used to avoid playing my bass when I put new strings on because I didn't want them to go dead!! I have had the same set of Elixirs on my number one bass for over a year now!!! I don't sweat much and play really lightly but still, very impressive. I have three new boxes and recently put a new set on to see if it was just my mind playing tricks, but nope, the same. Brand new sounding after a year....

ped[/quote]

Did the same with the elixirs, they rock, but the coating is coming off my D string all the way up to the 5th fret... anyone had this problem? instead of boiling strings, which only has limited effect, i've found that a pan (or other container for that matter) half-full of boiling water from the kettle, with about a tablespoon of bicarbonate of soda works like a charm - you can literally see all the crap floating off your strings, and they're clean in about 20 seconds. i'm claiming to have invented this method of cleaning strings, as i've not heard of it being done before, but it works great.

The problem with that (and dont get me wrong, I dont like new strings either!) is that at some poiont you end up with flats worn into the underside of teh string where it contacts teh frets. This affects the string tone, intonation and eventually gives horrid fretbuzz as more often used frets, wear the string more.....

I would snap bremens hand off at that offer as it seems a perfect solution for you...!

[quote name='jono b' post='197241' date='May 12 2008, 03:58 PM']Or clean them with meths, apparently. There was a thread up on here not that long ago which suggested cleaning your strings with methylated spirit to dissolve all the crap out of them. Just not crystal meth, obviously.[/quote]
Aye, what a terrible waste that would be :)

[quote name='jamesf' post='197317' date='May 12 2008, 05:13 PM']...a pan (or other container for that matter) half-full of boiling water from the kettle, with about a tablespoon of bicarbonate of soda works like a charm - you can literally see all the crap floating off your strings, and they're clean in about 20 seconds. i'm claiming to have invented this method of cleaning strings, as i've not heard of it being done before, but it works great.[/quote]
Add a little lemon or vinegar too, takes the grease off. And I'll have the patent of this version, ta :huh:

Edited by johnnylager

You could do really well if somone genuinely will punt you they're strings.... as they loose that 'brand new zing' very quickly.... (most brands do anyhoo!)

Boiling them is not a good idea..... the resultant soup tastes like discarded incontinence pants, and it doesnt do the strings metallic structure any good heating them to 100c especially if they have been crio treated!

The tone is only resurrected for a very short time anyway, and its not really worth teh effort.

Its a much better habit to clean your strings after every use. ( I use fast fret)

[quote name='bremen' post='197212' date='May 12 2008, 03:25 PM']They want more for shipping than they do for the strings! Any European dealers? LordOfTheStrings don't do DR, unfortunately.[/quote]
[url="http://saitenkatalog.de/shop1/"]Saitenkatalog[/url] do DR, including the Jonas Helborg ones (except they're marked as "not available").

I've wanted to try out the elixirs sometime, but hopefully it will be along time till the DRs start wearing out.

Has anyone had a chance to compare coated DRs and elixirs? What are the differences in tone?

I've done my fair share of string boiling over the years. Just add an onion to what's left in the pan to make an great soup when times are hard.

Edited by dub

i have a set of "fitted to see what they look like,twanged for no more than 5 minutes" DR coated extra life strings in a very tastefull PEACOCK BLUE sat here.free to good home if anybody wants 'em,.....i want postage tho' off course,i mean c'mon !
cos im that kinda guy :)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='onehappybunny' post='206261' date='May 25 2008, 11:19 PM']Not really in line with the brand-spanking, sparkling, good-as-new boiled string theme that this thread has picked up but a new set of Thomastik flats made a stunning difference to my DeArmond Jet Star :)[/quote]
TI flats are my Favourite strings - I have them on three precisions, a jazz & a thunderbird. I was so chuffed to find that the 32" ones are the perfect length for my mustang.

I have masses of used stings of various gauge and brand, they're yours if you want them. I've been convinced that there would be a use for them one day, but have been getting close to binning them lately as I haven't been able to figure out what that use would be!!