Why become a member? ×

soul II soul jools holland...

skidder652003

Caught the Friday show last night and yep - S2S were excellent. By contrast, what a complete and utter bag of sh*te the Palma Violets were, and 2 songs God forbid. For me,a classic case of a trendy 'hot' band being given more profile than merited. They looked and sounded like a sixth form public school band who had been booked to play a friends 18th - and whether they were pissed - or just tw*ts (particularly the bass player - 'Chilli' FFS, I regret to say) I have no idea, but it's a sad old state of affairs when dross like that gets 10 minutes on premium music tv.

They are signed to Rough Trade and will probably fill the hole left by the LIbertines in the life of awkward and rebellious middle class schoolgirls for their 15 minutes in the sun, and I suppose good luck to them, but it's all been done before, and so much better.

Or am I just a grumpy old fart?

I suspect both.

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1354349935' post='1885012']
Caught the Friday show last night and yep - S2S were excellent. By contrast, what a complete and utter bag of sh*te the Palma Violets were, and 2 songs God forbid. For me,a classic case of a trendy 'hot' band being given more profile than merited. They looked and sounded like a sixth form public school band who had been booked to play a friends 18th - and whether they were pissed - or just tw*ts (particularly the bass player - 'Chilli' FFS, I regret to say) I have no idea, but it's a sad old state of affairs when dross like that gets 10 minutes on premium music tv.

They are signed to Rough Trade and will probably fill the hole left by the LIbertines in the life of awkward and rebellious middle class schoolgirls for their 15 minutes in the sun, and I suppose good luck to them, but it's all been done before, and so much better.

Or am I just a grumpy old fart?

I suspect both.
[/quote]

Amen, Brother!

G.

Big Soul II Soul fan here and I thought they were GREAT! :-) Watched it on catch up today and must admit I was slightly nervous as I thought they might have lost some if their shine, but not a bit.

^ I didn't think the Palma Violets were 'that' bad... They had bag loads of energy (I liked the drummer) and I could see how they'd appeal to the right audience. I think that sort of college garage band stuff always sounds a bit derivative anyway - as did the bands they're mimicking, and so on and so forth.

But yeah, Soul II Soul wiped the floor :-)

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1354383281' post='1885441'] Big Soul II Soul fan here and I thought they were GREAT! :-) Watched it on catch up today and must admit I was slightly nervous as I thought they might have lost some if their shine, but not a bit. ^ I didn't think the Palma Violets were 'that' bad... They had bag loads of energy (I liked the drummer) and I could see how they'd appeal to the right audience. I think that sort of college garage band stuff always sounds a bit derivative anyway - as did the bands they're mimicking, and so on and so forth. But yeah, Soul II Soul wiped the floor :-) [/quote]

The Parma Violets were everything that is bad about a lot of music nowadays, jumped up pricks with zero talent.

How does having "lots of energy" make you good musicians?

Edited by steantval

[quote name='steantval' timestamp='1354452067' post='1886028']The Parma Violets were everything that is bad about a lot of music nowadays, jumped up pricks with zero talent. How does having "lots of energy" make you good musicians?
[/quote]

I don't think I said they were good musicians, did I? (quickly checks...). Nope, thought not.

I said I understood why their music would appeal to a particular market. Which is a different point entirely.

Sorry to be pedantic, but heh. I'm no fan of JLS, for instance, but zillions of teenagers are and does that make them wrong? Although I take the point that it's fair to question whether a band like the PVs should be given airtime on Later... but then I think that about at least one band Jules' has on each week.

Different strokes for different folks, etc, etc...