Why become a member? ×

2x10 or 1x12

Phil-osopher10

So basschat being bass chat has given me gas, to which I sold my Mesa boogie scout 112. Now my question is where do I go from here? do I get another 112 or go for a 210? how will it affect the sound? I quite liked the sound of the mesa but I want to try new things you see!

At the minute I'm thinking bergantino, vanderkley and epifani... any recommendations? I would like to go barefaced but I think the only one that would appeal would be way out of my price range ie the S12

I think you've already talked yourself into 1 x 12"..

I haven't tried the cabs you mentioned but I tried an EBS rig about 10 years ago that had the older style 2 x 10" and it was storming. A really great bit of kit. I've also owned Trace Elliot 2103H and Ashdown MAG 210T cabs although I expect you're looking to more modern and lightweight items?

I dont really like 10s, I have tried almost every combination of various brands from 1x10 to 8x10 and never really felt any bass? It's fine that the experts tell us that under scientific tests they are the same blah blah but if I don't like it I don't like it end of :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

I use a Markbass Mini CMD121P combo, which is a 1x12, and get plenty of oomph from it. Before buying it I wouldn`t have believed that such a big sound could come from one tiny little amp/speaker. It`s plenty on its own for rehearsals, and gigs where I go through the PA. For non PA`d gigs, I`ve got the matching NY121 cab.

So I definitely like 12s, but that could be because I like Markbass, so not necessarily 12s in general. After all, I loved my Markbass 410 as well.

I don't like the singles of either... so I would always pair up..and in that regard, the 2x210 wins every time for me, over 2x112.

I think a 112 is lacking, and the 210 will be as well, but not as much.
I think you'll reach the limit of what the cabs as singles can do...and would not work for a powerful band.

Since I couldn't run them as singles, my opinion will not really count for the OP.

I had a pair of Markbass 2 x 10 cabs. One alone sounded superb - good for rehearsals and smallish gigs. Using both together (stacked on their sides, 4 speakers high) was really excellent.

A smaller car prompted me to sell these, no other reason. If I win the lottery, I will never sell any gear ever again. :)

Frank.

[quote name='Phil-osopher10' timestamp='1353974818' post='1880515']
....So basschat being bass chat has given me gas, to which I sold my Mesa boogie scout 112. Now my question is where do I go from here?....
[/quote]

Does this count as GAS? You've sold your gear but haven't an idea of what to buy next!!

OK.... what's your budget? When do you need it? What amp are you using? What music are you playing?

A Barefaced cab isn't much more expensive than the other cabs in your list.

Also, there's a Baer 12/6 in the FS section.

Baer ml112 will match a premium 2x10 for volume and produce a lot more low end. I have 2 of them but one is more than enough most of the time with a 900 watt micro head.
Got mine from Mark Stickley, totally amazing guy with great gear in his shop, try before you buy!

Regardless of everything most science says, I'be found that a lot of good quality 1x12s and 2x10s sound pretty similar.

Although I would suggest a barefaced midget, as it's a class act of a small cab and the only one I would be confident buying.

But I now use 2 very cheap 2x10s to get what I want from my rig on stage.

It was gas as I was lining up a bergantino deal but that fell through. My budget is around 300-350 for a second hand 112 or 5-600 for the right 212, I have an old behringer 410 that I can use in the interim period. I just want a small cab that I can use as a 'stage monitor' when I'm going through the pa.

the baer ml112 looks great but there are very few of them secondhand and at £620 new the chances of the falling in the £350 price bracket is pretty slim.

I went over to franks (fellow basschatter) house and he let me run through a compact and a midget the midget was more my sound and was very very good. I just thought it was too small if you know what I mean (I know I'm contradicting myself in theory)