Why become a member? ×

Rebadged PA mixer amps?

davehux

I'm looking around for a new PA mixer amp and am quite taken with the Peavey XR8600D

However, there seems to be almost identical units available under the Samson and Alto brands at significantly lower prices

Anyone know if they're all made in the same place, and are they the same units apart from very minor cosmetic changes?

Cheers

Well as we're a generic British-made underpowered cack band, they seem perfect :D

OK then - suggestions for a powered mixer amp for under/near £500 - we need it to power 2 main speakers and 3 floor monitors. We play small pubs for £200 a time, so please don't suggest something that would take the top off the O2.

Just vocals through the PA? I'm biased because I used to work for them, but I really like the old Studiomaster powered mixing desks - you'd lay hands on a Vision or Horizon (Focus would be under-powered for what you want) for a couple of hundred quid absolute max, and they're thoroughly reliable, flexible and LOUD bits of kit. My ex-drummer's rehearsal room has one and has had for over ten years, it's been serviced once in that time and generally gathers dust in between being run ragged by cack-handed noise polluters who don't know one end of a graphic EQ from the other, and delivers the goods every time.

Whatever you go for, if you're planning on running monitors from one side of the power amp and the FOH from the other side, ideally you want a 'flip switch' type affair (different manufacturers call it different things) so that the main L/R bus goes to one side of the amp and the monitor send / pre-fade auxillary goes to the other side. Just makes things easier to mix.

[quote name='davehux' timestamp='1353684402' post='1877441']
I'm looking around for a new PA mixer amp and am quite taken with the Peavey XR8600D

However, there seems to be almost identical units available under the Samson and Alto brands at significantly lower prices

Anyone know if they're all made in the same place, and are they the same units apart from very minor cosmetic changes?

Cheers
[/quote]

I 'believe' that PV, Belringer, LD, Mackie and the like all use common components made by a company called Fenix... or Pheonix.

The reason I write this is because a friend of mine took in a non brand name piece of kit
and the tech said the parts were easy to get as they were made by said company and he sees these PA's and mixers
all the time.

[quote name='Ian Savage' timestamp='1353687275' post='1877502']
Just vocals through the PA? I'm biased because I used to work for them, but I really like the old Studiomaster powered mixing desks -
[/quote]

Yes, just vocals (3 mics) We have a Studiomaster at the moment, but will lose the use of it shortly. I would prefer a more boxy unit than the flat, desk type, jobbies, as we are normally pushed for space with 5 of us in a tiny Cornish pub. As we don't have a sound-guy, it's a case of soundcheck to get the basic levels right, a spot of fine tuning during the first number and then LTBA (leave the bugger alone) for the rest of the night

I know it's a shameless plug, but If you want to go separate Mixer and amp, I have a Yamaha MG12/4 FX mixer and C-Mark 700+700 amp F/S for £250. Whack in a pair of Wharfedale Titan 15's and a Complete PA for £500.
All mint condition and very little use.
I am not a big fan of Mixer amps as if you have a problem with the either the mixer or amp part, you have lost the lot whilst it is being repaired.

The only of the modern PA amps, aka powered mixers, I have any experience of is the Mackie upright job.
2 x 500w class D amp sections in it apparently. This runs through Mackie C300 (I think) PA cabs.

This is in the rehearsal room.

Doesn't make much of a noise for 1000W I have to say although quite a pleasant sounding thing.

Much prefer heavy iron power amps for PA I have to say.

[quote name='davehux' timestamp='1353684402' post='1877441']

Cheers
[/quote]

I know what you mean - all of that type of powered mixer look pretty much the same, with a very similar feature set.

FWIW I've a Yamaha EMX512, and it's bloody brilliant !

Good evening, Dave...

[quote name='davehux' timestamp='1353687838' post='1877511']
...a more boxy unit than the flat, desk type, jobbies, as we are normally pushed for space with 5 of us in a tiny Cornish pub...[/quote]

Despite the above, I would plug the equipment below as being highly suitable to your needs. Imho, it could be fitted into a 'box' (or flight...) no more bulky than a mixer-amp.

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1353688060' post='1877515']...a Yamaha MG12/4 FX mixer and C-Mark 700+700 amp F/S for £250...[/quote]

I fully understand the space constraints, but this is good gear for reasonable dough (no, I'm not connected in any way with BB, the seller...).

Just my opinion; good luck with the search...

[quote name='bob_pickard' timestamp='1353746443' post='1877970']
+1 for the Yamaha - nice bit of kit.[b] Have a look at some of the behringer all in one box models[/b] as well, cheaper than the Yamaha, not as good but they'd probably do the job for you.
[/quote]

I've got a Behringer PMX2000 10-channel mixer/amp that I got for a ridiculously low price second-hand. It does vocals perfectly well for smaller venues. Over the years I've found that Behringer stuff, providing it makes it out of the factory properly QC'd, does a good job for the money. A bit like the British car industry was last century.
Having said that, I've never bought a Yahama product I've been disappointed with.