Why become a member? ×

I don't like funk.

Oscar South

I like funk to a degree, I won't actively seek it out (well, I will for learning and skill purposes this summer), but I do also concur with your statement that it's a bit odd how every bassist is expected to love it.

Then again, it's probably due to the basslines having a much greater place in the music compared to other mainstream forms, in the sense they don't just do rhythm or follow the guitar, they're well....funky.

Then again, it's expected that everyone who has an electric guitar is a selfish prat wannabe rock god who'll solo without the slightest prevocation.

Edited by Buzz

:huh: you're a bass player! you should love the funk! :)

I didn't appreciate funk until i started playing bass and now i think i have a kind of funk disease or something because i cant seem to be able to play anything without funking it up. I find it a great way to unleash some mad skills without having to venture into the depths of conceptual jazz improvisation...not that i've really given Jazz much of a go.

In my (limited) experience, funk is just an excuse for a couple of guitarists to sit on a repetitive riff in A/E for 20 minutes while they trade the same licks at each other as if they just invented them.

Give me the blues any day.

Funk is actually an adjective and not strictly accurate as a 'music' although it has come to be accepted as such. It was originally used to describe something that had a certain indescribable feeling, the word is in fact a description of dirty and smelly.
Many types of music can be funky.
I find it slightly surprising that the depth of feeling in funky music is not appreciated by all bass players.

Oh yea thats what I do and I can play funk pretty well, I'm just wondering if a lot of other bassists go against the 'bassists = loves funk' thing.

When people ask me to 'play something funky' I always play Prog Metal tapping/harmonics riffs just to be contrary, seems to entertain more than playing Aeroplane or Settle For Nothing :).

Edited by Oscar South

[quote name='Oscar South' post='196705' date='May 11 2008, 09:08 PM']Don't really hate it, just don't really like it. Hate how every bassist is expected to love and embrace funk though, I'm competent at it but give me some Post/Prog Rock/Metal, British Folk or some serious Jazz over funk any day.

Anyone else feel similarly?[/quote]
I dont burden you with my personal problems so why should you burden me with yours. You may get to like it when you grow up, you may not. Thats your problem.

[quote name='Oscar South' post='196756' date='May 11 2008, 10:17 PM']Oh yea thats what I do and I can play funk pretty well, I'm just wondering if a lot of other bassists go against the 'bassists = loves funk' thing.

When people ask me to 'play something funky' I always play Prog Metal tapping/harmonics riffs just to be contrary, seems to entertain more than playing Aeroplane or Settle For Nothing :).[/quote]

aeroplane isnt the sort of funk i was thinking of...more along the lines of the first 2 Jamiroquai albums or the funky Stevie Wonder stuff (Sir Duke, I Wish, Master Blaster...) . Anyone heard of The Mother Funk Conspiracy?

Edited by benwhiteuk

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='196760' date='May 11 2008, 10:20 PM']I dont burden you with my personal problems so why should you burden me with yours. You may get to like it when you grow up, you may not. Thats your problem.[/quote]

If you don't like hearing other people opinions, don't read them. Problem solved! Actually, re-reading that post its one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read, "when you grow up you'll learn to like the music I like"? Actually, I used to live on funk from Parliament to C2B3 to Chili Peppers to Mr. Bungle and whatever else, pretty much the full spectrum. I grew out of it :), thats to say that my musical taste changed over time by the way, not to mirror the ignorant statement that its somehow immature or childish to like or not like a certain genre.

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='196762' date='May 11 2008, 10:21 PM']aeroplane isnt the sort of funk i was thinking of...more along the lines of the first 2 Jamiroquai albums or the funky Stevie Wonder stuff (Sir Duke, I Wish, Master Blaster...) . Anyone heard of The Mother Funk Conspiracy?[/quote]

I was just joking about token 'music shop funk' basslines really, have to admit I do love most Stevie Wonder, its just on a different level to most funk influenced stuff.

Edited by Oscar South

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='196760' date='May 11 2008, 10:20 PM']I dont burden you with my personal problems so why should you burden me with yours. You may get to like it when you grow up, you may not. Thats your problem.[/quote]
Ferret we have locked horns a few times, but I laughed out loud when I read that one.

[quote name='Starvolt' post='196799' date='May 11 2008, 11:05 PM']Isn't that the album with the bizzare intro where the word Funk is incorporated into every third word?[/quote]

i dont know, ive only got 2 tracks and I've been after an album for ages but i cant find anywhere that sells it. the 2 ive got are -

"Fah Daa Bah Dee Bah Doo Bomph"

and

"Heavy Junk"

I played Heavy Junk as part of my final year uni performance, cracking tune with a proper good groove.

[quote name='Oscar South' post='196705' date='May 11 2008, 09:08 PM']Don't really hate it, just don't really like it. Hate how every bassist is expected to love and embrace funk though, I'm competent at it but give me some Post/Prog Rock/Metal, British Folk or some serious Jazz over funk any day.

Anyone else feel similarly?[/quote]

Take a look at my screen name. I love it.

Nothing wrong with a bass player for not liking it. Some might think it odd that when bass is all about the groove that a bassist might not like funk, the genre of groove. Not me though. Metal depends on entirely on groove and as for jazz, it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that thing.

I didn't realise every bassist was expected to love and embrace funk. I don't think you have to at all, even to develop into a groove-monster, in-the-pocket player.

Edited by The Funk

[quote name='Oscar South' post='196773' date='May 11 2008, 10:41 PM']have to admit I do love most Stevie Wonder, its just on a different level to most funk influenced stuff.[/quote]

Funk as a genre has never reached its true potential, with a lot of the writing being extremely lazy (as someone pointed out above). Stevie and Curtis are two exceptions. As other people have said, a lot of people like it as dancefloor music but it has the potential to be so much more than just that.

As someone else said above, that's not really a problem to do with funk itself.

But, like I just said in the post above, I didn't realise that bassists were expected to love funk.

Having said all that, if I asked you to play something funky and you gave me some tapping, I'd punch you... unless it was funky.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='196719' date='May 11 2008, 09:26 PM']In my (limited) experience, funk is just an excuse for a couple of guitarists to sit on a repetitive riff in A/E for 20 minutes while they trade the same licks at each other as if they just invented them.[/quote]
Try this with bass, drums & Fender Rhodes. While the guitarist is still plugging everything in. It might change your mind.

Metal and Funk are like chalk and cheese. I can understand how you can like one and not the other.
My experience is that most bass players are into Funk as it gives us our 15 mins in the spotlight, it accentuates what bass does by mixing an excessive groove with a prominent bass line. A lot of Funk is bordering on a bass solo and a bass player in Funk is the leader not a follower.