Why become a member? ×

Genz Benz SM 9.2, RH750 or stay with what I've got?

GreeneKing

I'm currently using an Aguilar AG500 head through my EAD Foundation 212 cab. It's the twin channel head. I love my tone and use the clean channel all the time if I'm honest. I play in a classic rock covers band and like a clean lower mid focused tone without too much clanky finger noise or zing.

Our lead guitarist has just bought a Marshall 100W valve head with a 4 x 12 cab, seriously nice gear if that's your thing. At a practice recently in a church with horrible acoustics my Aguilar head was maxed out and struggling. Last night at practice we were back to the normal hall, he used his smaller combo and I was happy with my master volume at about 1 o'clock. I do find that the Aguilar clips very early on the gain (and clips a little before the clip light comes on).

I can see him using his monster rig at gigs and as we're a loud band anyway (starting with the drummer who belts it out - but very well) so I'm thinking of getting a head with more 'headroom' to ensure that I can always get the necessary volume.

My thoughts originally turned to the GB Shuttlemax 9.2 mainly because it has the FET channel that sounds right for me and the added controls on the presets. Then I got to reading about the TC RH 750. Now I owned a RH 450 and I'm one of those who just didn't get on with the tone. It's hard to say exactly why but it seemed a bit 'wooly'. I just ended up not wanting to use it without really understanding why. Perhaps if the RH 750 has the same tone I won't get on with it too?

I'm aware that Wattage isn't a clear indicator of volume or the ability of a rig to give the tone you want at the necessary volume for the band and setting. I'm a bit concerned that I could go for more watts and not actually be any better off.

The cab is a monster and isn't changing. I really can't imagine any better cab and anyone who's heard an EAD at the Moffat Bass Bash A/B testing would surely agree :)

Peter

Edited by GreeneKing

Hi Peter

I currently have both of those amps, so I consider myself very lucky!

Firstly, if you are maxing the AG amp, it suggest to me that a 2x12 is just not enough rig for the gig, if you get me. If you really like that Aguilar amp, (and Aguilar are know for making very conservatively rated amps) I would see what you options are for cabs. If its a case of one 4 ohm cab, and no movement on that, then things might get more difficult.

2x12s are great but only cover so much ground. Doubling that would add a huge amount of volume.

I think if you pound that cab with a 900W or 750W or whatever the ratings are (both the 750 and Max 9.2 are extremely powerful IME) you are probably putting undue stress on the drivers.

However, I can vouch for the fact that both the 750 and Max 9.2 are fabulous amps. Both have a lot of flexibility, but the 750 stays in the 'low mid kick' area, and with the tweetertone you can add a lot more high end cf to the 450. However, it is still modelled to give quite a modern take on a classic tone I guess, so if you don't like that tone, maybe it is not for you.

The Max 9.2 clean channel is VERY clean...extremely precise.

First thing I would do Peter, is get a long lead and stand way out from your Amp/Cab. Unfortunately us bass players always seem to perched right in front of our rigs and you don't hear how load it really is until you get 15ft of so away.
When we saw Dave with the Floyd Tribute, there was a nice balanced sound coming out of the FOH but you could still hear his distinctive "clank" cutting through what was a loud mix. He didn't get that at all on stage.
And you are right about the "Watts" dillema. Guitarist with 100W Valve Amp is louder than you with a 500Watt solid state amp.

You could just ask the guitard to turn down? Your rig should be loud enough for most situations especially rehearsal! If your amp is maxing out then everything is too loud and you're likely to be damaging your hearing, never mind your speakers! Seriously, I hate it when idiots keep turning up at rehearsal, its absolutely pointless and almost exclusively the guitarist's fault every feckin' time!

Failing that, you could get one of the Aggie tube amps, but I think they've been discontinued, they go down to 2 Ohms as far as I'm aware, so you can get yourself another EAD and disembowel everyone with the volume.

Eude

:D

A bit of ritual disembowelling of guitard? He's a good sort actually.

Having heard elsewhere what an EAD can project I'm sure that the cab part of my equation is covered. Maybe a part of this is just GAS? You are right Stu, I do need to get out front and listen to what's going on. The two guitarists do this and they like the sound of the bass as it is. The Aguilar is a cracking amp and I'm ready to believe that Aguilar under rate their wattage. The Aggie was only struggling (3 o'clock on the master volume with a volume control that feels non linear like most) in very poor conditions.

I perhaps need to stick with what I've got and 'suck it and see' for the time being.

I do think that the GB SM 9.2 is rather nice too though :lol:

You're maxing out a 500 watt amp and you still can't hear yourself? I definitely wouldn't start playing the volume escalator game!

If your guitarist can’t play at a sensible volume for the band then I’d pull him up, now. Why should his lack of intelligent musicianship cost you money?

The first thing I’d get would be ear plugs.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1353422072' post='1874773']
You're maxing out a 500 watt amp and you still can't hear yourself? I definitely wouldn't start playing the volume escalator game!

If your guitarist can’t play at a sensible volume for the band then I’d pull him up, now. Why should his lack of intelligent musicianship cost you money?

The first thing I’d get would be ear plugs.
[/quote]

Have to go along with this... getting into a fight with a 100w Marshall gets you nowhere but deaf...

He may well be running it with too much bass and getting into your freqs and Marshalls are not known for EQ..they want to be driven.,

Any 100w gtr valve head needs to be run with a power soak unless on big stages...and are just too much for a lot of places.
His problem should not be your problem..and he needs 'teaching'