Why become a member? ×

Backing Tapes!

pqs

How do you guys feel about the use of backing tapes live?
I saw this guy playing in a pub last night, all the bar staff had been raving about him, telling me he was really good "live"!
It was just one guy playing guitar with backing tapes including vocals. To me thats not right its not live, it had no feeling although he was a good guitarist but to me it just didn't do it!
The crowd loved it though although they have probably not seen many live bands.
Regards
Peter

I agree. That's not "live music", it's only one step above listening to a CD or your MP3 player. It may be a nice little earner for the musician involved, though - no bandmates to share fees or have rows or musical differences with, very little equipment to shift from one place to another... all in all, pretty sad. If I was going to a place because I'd been told there was live music, and found that, I would walk out after a few minutes, unless the guitarist was soo absolutely fantastic to force me to stay and listen to their every note.

Edited by bluejay

We've had this before - and in fact it's the same as the mustang sally debate.There's room for everyone and everything in entertainment. We all have choices whether or not we want to get involved in some of the methods of doing that.

It's all so very , very simple. If you don't like playing to backing tapes - don't. If you don't want to watch someone else playing to backing tapes - leave. Just don't be an arse and gob off about it being less valid than whatever it is you choose to do yourself.

I play in a three piece, but some pubs don't want/can't accommodate a drummer. So we went into a studio over a period of time and recorded all of his drum tracks and play along to them when they won't let us use the drummer. Quite unusual but always goes down well. That's backing tracks I suppose.

We did try playing with acoustics once, but we didn't like it.

Edited by The Dark Lord

My band use some backing tracks, we use some keyboard and vox. We have had the discussion about getting a keyboard player time and time again but always find the HDR is way more reliable. This is no different to a lot of profesional bands out there. Rush for one uses them and who calls them karaoke?

I'll fess up to once playing in a band that used backing tracks extensively.
The functions that we played at they couldn't care less about my playing ability, it was all about the singing, so that's what they got.
They got four great singers, two of whom played guitar. (Yes, I played guitar there.) Everything else was backing tracks.

I was comfortable, I had done all of the backing tracks.
If you play a wedding and get paid £xxx (3 digits) each for it, for playing a bit of guitar and singing, it's not the worst gig in the world.

Conversely, I also play in a prog band where it's only ever cost me money and the level of musicianship is the highest I've ever experienced.

I like both. One gives you financial reward, the other, artistic reward.

You can feel comfortable with both, I do.

For me personally theres no interaction, it's the same thing over and over. A band I used to be in wanted to try the backing track thing. And my argument, which won, was that having backing tracks defeats the purpose of having a live band which is what the singer wanted. You can't just call out another chorus if the mood takes, you can't play with false stops unless the backing track was made like that. And if a singer misses her/his cue it becomes very very obvious.

I know it's horses for courses and all that noise, but if it was me in that pub I'd feel really cheated for watching someone play to some CDs, which is harsh but that's how it looks to me.

Dan

[quote name='pietruszka' timestamp='1353158244' post='1872199']
For me personally theres no interaction, it's the same thing over and over. A band I used to be in wanted to try the backing track thing. And my argument, which won, was that having backing tracks defeats the purpose of having a live band which is what the singer wanted. You can't just call out another chorus if the mood takes, you can't play with false stops unless the backing track was made like that. And if a singer misses her/his cue it becomes very very obvious.

I know it's horses for courses and all that noise, but if it was me in that pub I'd feel really cheated for watching someone play to some CDs, which is harsh but that's how it looks to me.

Dan
[/quote]

Dan, you're 100% right, all spontateity is completely lost and yes indeed, if a singer misses their cues, it is immediately apparent.

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1353156218' post='1872167']
I play in a three piece, but some pubs don't want/can't accommodate a drummer. So we went into a studio over a period of time and recorded all of his drum tracks and play along to them when they won't let us use the drummer. Quite unusual but always goes down well. That's backing tracks I suppose.

We did try playing with acoustics once, but we didn't like it.
[/quote]
...and you pay the drummer his share of every gig where the tapes are used?

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1353155733' post='1872157']
We've had this before - and in fact it's the same as the mustang sally debate.There's room for everyone and everything in entertainment. We all have choices whether or not we want to get involved in some of the methods of doing that.

It's all so very , very simple. If you don't like playing to backing tapes - don't. If you don't want to watch someone else playing to backing tapes - leave. [b]Just don't be an arse and gob off about it being less valid than whatever it is you choose to do yourself.[/b]
[/quote]

[arse and gob off mode] IMO As entertainment, a chap with a guitar playing to whole bunch of stuff on tape is as valid as any other entertainment. As music, a chap with a guitar playing to a whole bunch of stuff on tape has questionable validity. Of course, if said chap with guitar is outstanding, then it has more validity.
Basically, the more an act is reliant on tape, the less validity it has as music.
While this may sound a little snobby - I do think it's our duty as musicians to be at least a little snobbish. [/arse and gob off mode]

Edited by SteveK

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1353174896' post='1872457']
[arse and gob off mode] IMO As entertainment, a chap with a guitar playing to whole bunch of stuff on tape is as valid as any other entertainment. As music, a chap with a guitar playing to a whole bunch of stuff on tape has questionable validity. Of course, if said chap with guitar is outstanding, then it has more validity.
Basically, the more an act is reliant on tape, the less validity it has as music.
While this may sound a little snobby - I do think it's our duty as musicians to be at least a little snobbish. [/arse and gob off mode]
[/quote]
I pretty much agree with this!

Let us be honest, a lot of well known & respected touring bands (certainly on the metal scene) will use backing tapes live with additional BVs & keys.....

I'm against it, if it overtakes the musicianship, if there's any of it there in the first place.

My pet hate was MIDI-files. I remember seeing these clowns who thought they could sing going into Sound Control back in the day and buying Roland and Yamaha file players and making money in the little workingmen's clubs in and around the Lothians. One night a few of us walked into an Edinburgh bar and we heard a band playing through the back. We walked through and there was this guy, faking it on a Strat copy you couldn't hear, singing away in front of a Yamaha portable keyboard that was playing MIDI-files at a rather loud volume. He was sh*t and it stuck in my craw that people were getting away with this almost karaoke nonsense whilst pretending to be 'musicians'! Thankfully, I haven't come across that sight in a good few years!

Edited by Stacker

[quote name='JohnFitzgerald' timestamp='1353158996' post='1872209']
Dan, you're 100% right, all spontateity is completely lost and yes indeed, if a singer misses their cues, it is immediately apparent.
[/quote]
the band I'm in would never use backing tapes, our singer comes in at some really odd times and his timing is all over ther place, not to mention the guitard who misses or comes in early for his solo, and lets not mention my mistakes. :mellow:

Edited by PaulWarning

[quote name='Leen2112' timestamp='1353156513' post='1872172']
My band use some backing tracks, we use some keyboard and vox. We have had the discussion about getting a keyboard player time and time again but always find the HDR is way more reliable. This is no different to a lot of profesional bands out there. [b]Rush for one uses them and who calls them karaoke?[/b]
[/quote]

Me.... and your Muse and other bands but their fans don't seem to mind. It is what it is..