Why become a member? ×

Precision in Natural

zzaass

can't help you with a Fender unless you find a modified one that someone has striped the finish off (like my one which i'm afraid isn't for sale)

Have you thought about a Sandberg? the California vs is available in natural gloss or matt and the general opinion is that they're incredible basses.

http://www.sandberg-guitars.com/basscat-overview/calv-series/calvs

the configurator will allow you to see the combination you desire, i tried to link the image but if you paste 14.2.1.0.2.1.3.1.1.1.1.1.0 into the box it should take you to the right spec.

matt

Love this colour combo in a Precision (and Jazz).

In the early 70s, if you had any wish to play R and B, this was the bass and colour combo to have (with an Acoustic 370 stack). I'd still like one now! I saw the TOTP performance by Bad Company of Can't Get Enough of Your Love the other day and Boz Burrell was playing a natural Precision fretless with a maple board!

Pastel colours on Fender basses were not on the radar at that time for young upcoming players - associated with deeply out of date and uncool genres! How times change!!

[quote name='Matt P' timestamp='1352752326' post='1867073']

Have you thought about a Sandberg? the California vs is available in natural gloss or matt and the general opinion is that they're incredible basses.

[url="http://www.sandberg-guitars.com/basscat-overview/calv-series/calvs"]http://www.sandberg-...lv-series/calvs[/url]

matt
[/quote]

I have looked at this. I can't seem to find any information about their necks. The nut width looks a little narrow. Like a jazz ?

Edited by zzaass

• 2 weeks later...

Will this make it to the shops over here ?
[url="http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/fender-american-standard-hand-stained-ash-precision-bass"]Fender American Standard Hand-Stained Ash Precision Bass Amber [/url]
Order Now! Expected to ship 01-18-2013
[u][color=#0066CC][/color][/u]

[quote name='Matt P' timestamp='1352752326' post='1867073']Have you thought about a Sandberg? the California vs is available in natural gloss or matt and the general opinion is that they're incredible basses.[/quote]
Yes, but they won't sound like a P bass:
1) the ash is the wrong kind of ash and won't have the "pop" or "scooped" tone that USA "swamp" ash has, nor the evenness of alder, the primary P-bass wood from 1957, the introduction of the classic split pickup;
2) the pickups have one pole piece per string, which will lend to too much transient articulation attack, instead of the round P-bass tone that Leo changed from one polepiece per string to two with the original split-P pickup (albeit to save the transients from causing speaker damage, but I digress...);
3) P basses are passive, not active, which also lends to a rounder sound from the electronic loading of the hi-Z pickup and circuit. Yes, even Fender now makes active P-basses, but they are usually models with an added J-pickup and geared towards the "contemporary" player.

Edited by iiipopes

[quote name='zzaass' timestamp='1354063563' post='1881740']
Will this make it to the shops over here ?
[url="http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/fender-american-standard-hand-stained-ash-precision-bass"]Fender American Standard Hand-Stained Ash Precision Bass Amber [/url]
Order Now! Expected to ship 01-18-2013
[u][color=#0066CC][/color][/u]
[/quote]

Oh no - I hope they don't start selling one like that with a rosewood fingerboard or I'll definitely have to get one...

Natural ones, proper ones that were made that way, are harder to come by and they do sell for more. Often they are one of the so called "Premium" models called things like "Deluxe" and all that.

You'd normally score a decent Fender Precision for about £550 to £700 depending on colour ..... but you may be talking higher than that for a natural coloured one.

A few tips .....be patient and the right one will come along ...... get one which is string thru ....... don't get a Fender copy from one of the "boutique" manufacturers. They don't have [i]that[/i] Fender Precision sound

....... and never, ever, get a copy made by one of these guys who make 'em in their sheds, back offices and garages. My mate said he could make me a Porsche 911 in his workshop. I didn't take him up on it as I had some concerns that it might not be really very good.

you can get a jap 70s reissue. It'll be an import. I've got one (but it's a fretless one).
It should have USA pickups in it too
[url="http://www.mijfenders.com"]www.mijfenders.com[/url] had one but it's sold.

here's one on ebay [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Japan-70-Reissue-Precision-Bass-PB70ASH-/261131240068?pt=Guitar&hash=item3ccca28284"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Japan-70-Reissue-Precision-Bass-PB70ASH-/261131240068?pt=Guitar&hash=item3ccca28284[/url]

[quote name='iiipopes' timestamp='1354115345' post='1882243']
Yes, but they won't sound like a P bass:
1) the ash is the wrong kind of ash and won't have the "pop" or "scooped" tone that USA "swamp" ash has, nor the evenness of alder, the primary P-bass wood from 1957, the introduction of the classic split pickup;
2) the pickups have one pole piece per string, which will lend to too much transient articulation attack, instead of the round P-bass tone that Leo changed from one polepiece per string to two with the original split-P pickup (albeit to save the transients from causing speaker damage, but I digress...);
3) P basses are passive, not active, which also lends to a rounder sound from the electronic loading of the hi-Z pickup and circuit. Yes, even Fender now makes active P-basses, but they are usually models with an added J-pickup and geared towards the "contemporary" player.
[/quote]

1) Sandberg VS's come in Northern Ash, Swamp Ash and Alder
2 &3) They can also come with vintage style Alnico dual pole per string pickups and passive.

You can also specify the bent tin bridge.

I have an active VM with Alnico pickups with Sandberg's high mass bridge and it sounds just like a P if I want it to.

I love my Fender, in in my model year the MIA ones definitely had natural. I have to say though, if I was buying a 'Fender' today, it'd be a Sandberg. I look at Fenders exactly how I look at Land Rover Defenders. For the right person they're great but you have to put up with a few compromises and you'd have to be bat dropping crazy to buy a new one these days.

Edited by Jack

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1354223796' post='1883937']
I love my Fender, in in my model year the MIA ones definitely had natural. I have to say though, if I was buying a 'Fender' today, it'd be a Sandberg. I look at Fenders exactly how I look at Land Rover Defenders. For the right person they're great but you have to put up with a few compromises and you'd have to be bat dropping crazy to buy a new one these days.
[/quote]

I went out with this girl for a while who looked just like Kylie. Except much better. She was a bit taller, bigger boobs and no annoying Australian accent.

All my mates liked her but they said, when it comes down to it - we'd be far more impressed if you actually brought Kylie down the pub.

[i]Fender USA Precision. No substitute. Accept no copies. Nothing comes close. Strap on. Rock.[/i]

Edited by The Dark Lord

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1354268935' post='1884203']
I went out with this girl for a while who looked just like Kylie. Except much better. She was a bit taller, bigger boobs and no annoying Australian accent.

All my mates liked her but they said, when it comes down to it - we'd be far more impressed if you actually brought Kylie down the pub.

[i]Fender USA Precision. No substitute. Accept no copies. Nothing comes close. Strap on. Rock.[/i]
[/quote]

+ 1