Why become a member? ×

Need to pay more for a decent 5er?

Len_derby

My perception is that you have to pay more to get a decent 5 string bass compared to a 4 string. For example, I might expect to pay £x for a good 4 string but more for a 5 string of equivalent quality.
Am I right?
If so, why is that?
Is it because fewer 5 strings are in the market place or is there some inherent weaknesses or problems associated with 5 strings? Particularly at the cheaper end.
I would expect prices to be higher for a 5 string because of the extra materials involved but I think the price difference is higher than that.

My guess would be rarity, and no more than that. There are way more 4-string players and 4-string basses than there are 5-string players and 5-string basses, so right from the off a 5-string will be more expensive that its 4-string sister because the manufacturer will be making smaller or fewer batches.

The additional cost of materials for a 5-string exists, but (especially for higher-end instruments) will be insignificant.

Edited by Happy Jack

...and I think that is always going to be the stumbling block, the quality of tone from the low B. I'm sure you might find one or two good low Bs on cheaper fivers but that might be down to luck more than anything else.

Edited by BassBus

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1352641336' post='1865430']
IME most of the cheaper design and construction techniques that lead to an acceptable 4-string bass, simply don't produce a 5-string bass with a useable low B string.
[/quote]

This is a gut-feeling I had. It's interesting to hear it from an experienced 5 string player.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1352641336' post='1865430']
IME most of the cheaper design and construction techniques that lead to an acceptable 4-string bass, simply don't produce a 5-string bass with a useable low B string.
[/quote]

+1 on this . I have never played a cheaper 5 string that was really good , to be perfectly frank. I haven't played everything out there by any means , but the least expensive half- decent 5 string I have encountered is the Music Man Stingray 5 , but even that has one or two idiosyncrasies that mean that I wouldn't buy one myself. In my experience , really good 5 strings are few and far between at any price and I have played a few very expensive boutique ones that were quite frankly rubbish in my opinion , but the best ones tend to be pricey because the builder has taken the time and trouble to address the design issues arising from the sonic and ergonomic issues arising from the extra string . If you are looking for a decent reasonably affordable 5 string I would check out some of the Yamaha basses- they probably offer the most low B string bang for your buck.

I would agree with this 99% the one 'freak' cheap 5 string bass that has truly stunned me is the Squier Deluxe 5 String. I bought one it was so good, really good B string and a lovely bass, but it has a MASSIVE neck, I love it and find it comfortable but its not for everyone.

My Stingray 5 was amazing, but not very flexible in terms of sound, but it did the one sound incredibly well. My Warwick Streamer was brilliant (too tight string spacing for me) and now My Roscoe Beck V is very good and I am really happy with it. Its not a super expensive bass but to get one will cost you around £1300 if you can find one.

Spend some money and get a good 5 string and you will never look back.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1352647612' post='1865534']
+1 on this . I have never played a cheaper 5 string that was really good , to be perfectly frank. I haven't played everything out there by any means , but the least expensive half- decent 5 string I have encountered is the Music Man Stingray 5 , but even that has one or two idiosyncrasies that mean that I wouldn't buy one myself. In my experience , really good 5 strings are few and far between at any price and I have played a few very expensive boutique ones that were quite frankly rubbish in my opinion , but the best ones tend to be pricey because the builder has taken the time and trouble to address the design issues arising from the sonic and ergonomic issues arising from the extra string . If you are looking for a decent reasonably affordable 5 string I would check out some of the Yamaha basses- they probably offer the most low B string bang for your buck.
[/quote]

+1 to most of this.
The 'Ray 5 is ok, but better can be had.
Secondhand is the way to go, especially if you can try before you buy.
I like my Warwick Fortress Masterman 5. Good B string, a bit like a Stingray on steroids. I picked it up on here for just over £500.
My Vigier Passion 5 is great, too, but totally different. It just sings, and sounds very consistent across all the strings/frets.

As with all such things, trying before buying is a must. You might just stumble upon a gem or a bargain.

I think you're more likely to get a decent 5er if you spend a bit more, but its not a certainty. I've played more expensive 5ers that have disappointed me, and I've played cheaper ones that have impressed me. A case in point is the Yamaha BB605 I picked up recently as a backup bass. It cost pretty much 0% of f-all and has absolutely blown me away!

As always, I think its just about finding the right bass for you, one man's Coq Au Vin is another man's chicken in a basket. My first 5er was a Warwick Thumb. Obviously great build quality and sounded great, but in the end I just couldn't get on with the feel of it. A few months ago I played a Lakland Darryl Jones and a 55-64(?), and they just didn't do it for me. Similarly Ibanez SRs, no matter if they're low end or high end, always seem lacking to me.

I think people can be a little too focused on the B string when buying a 5er; its just one factor to be considered. As long as the bass fees right for your playing style, and the feel and response of the B suits you that's all that matters. I used to be adamant that the only good 5ers were 35" scale, but I don't really like the increased tension on the other strings (unless you're down tuning). Then I realised that there are some great 34" scale 5ers which have a fantastic B string, and for me feel more comfortable to play. In fact my whole mission this year has been to get my bass as comfortable and easy to play as possible, whilst still having a great sound. I'm really happy with my Sandberg, which is 34" scale, slim neck, low action, and I'm using .040" - .125" gauge strings on it.

Sorry for the long reply! Hope it helps :D

5 string basses will cost more because there is more bass to build and 6’ers cost more again.

And then, good basses cost more than not so good basses.

I'd turn the question around and say that you have to pay more to get a decent 4 string bass as well.

Then the whole thing depends on what you consider a decent bass. A lot of players are happy with basses I wouldn't even take out of the case.

After putting off purchasing a 5-er for almost 30 years, I finally purchased an Ibby SRA305 N.O.S. clearance at my local USA GC store. List: $600.00. Purchase price: $269. Sterling exchange rate is about 1.60 right now. You can do the math. It plays like a $1500 instrument once I set it up properly.