Why become a member? ×

SOLD - Jazz Bass 1975 (Columbus) - err...well-used...£25 (collected)

lozbass

Some of you will have witnessed partial divestment of a collection of sublime boutique basses in the past few months. The current sale does not constitute an episode in the series.

For your consideration...a truly stunning, spray-can dakota red Columbus Jazz bass from 1975 (I think). This was my first bass and proudly acquired from Mamelocks on Deansgate in Manchester in the middle part of 1976. After around 2 years, the original sunburst was removed to reveal a gorgeous multi-laminate (plywood) finish (you simply can't get the quality these days). Considering that the high-grade pine (?) was just too lovely for dodgy boozer gigs, I decided to protect the finish with red car spray and then a fine brushed-on top-coat - just lovely. The finish was further enhanced with an 'upside down' 'boot' motif in snopake - 'can't remember the artist's name, but if I can find the paperwork... Some years (and countless gigs later), the frets were expertly ripped out to transform the bass into an extraordinary fretless instrument. With the craft and skill of a great luthier, I splodged some wood filler into the board to create a lined fretless effect. This just has to be played to appreciate the hand-finishing.

Right...'bored with the hyperbole...the cheapest, roughest bass in the Basschat classifieds? This has done countless gigs in very seedy places, it's fretless, I think it works (it registered a signal through my tuner but the electronics may need attention), it's dirty (I normally clean basses very thoroughtly before selling but this is 25 quid!), it's been thrown off stages, it's 'strong', and it plays OK. The fittings are alright, there's not much missing, a few bent bits but functional, the finish is sh*te. No case or bag and collection only from central Manchester. I'll make a decent donation to Basschat too. This has got to be worth £25 hasn't it?

Just take a look!

Edited by lozbass

And...SOLD...about 15 minutes. I know that market's bad but I think I've taken the pressure on pricing thing too far.

Thanks gents for all the kind words - I thought I might get beaten down but the buyer's a gent. Clarky...it's been a tough decision. Selling something classic like this over these ten-a-penny coffee table jobs...

[quote name='MB1' timestamp='1352385335' post='1862424']
'bagsieblue'
any trades? ;) .
A couple of people on this forum will know why this will have sparked my interest........

MB1.
Would seem Columbus has set sail
...and you've missed the boat!
[/quote]

Hmm - let's see how the brisk trade winds from the East (Lancashire) blow...

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1352382989' post='1862391']
Well done Loz & congrats to the new owner, I hope he gives it as much love & attention as you obviously did once :D

Cheerz, John
[/quote]

Hahaha! Thanks, 'nearly fell off my chair - me and that bass certainly had some fun