Why become a member? ×

What does a Bass Player look like ?

BILL POSTERS

Actualy, there is something to be said for that....I am always blatently with the band...I dont preen so im therefor not the lead singer, I dont announce my self to people with the "Oh are you here to see us or just out for the craic, my names .... Im the lead guitarist btw, love me...please love me...my dad is proud of me, he isnt ashamed......" so therefore not the lead guitarist, I am usualy free of food crumbs and tend to have an absense of spittle around my mouth so therefore not the drummer, I must be the bassist.

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1351788687' post='1855450']
It's mainly in the eyes. We have normal ones. Not the cold dead eyes of a frontman. Not the maniacal gleam of the guitarist or the empty 1000 yard stare of the drummer. We just look like the normal person in a band.
[/quote]

Unless you're Sid Vicious!

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1351862416' post='1856305']
Judging by some of the self-regarding posts on this thread 'full of s**t' might be a good description. :D
[/quote]

This topic on this particular forum, what was expected? Maybe only a comparison of known bassists, Lemmy looks f*** all like Kim Deal or Victor Wooten, who in turn looks f*** all like Lars Fredrickson, who in turn looks a sh*t ton different from Joe Lally. This topic suddenly became a bit dull, lets post pictures of ourselfs including self referencing critisisms of guitarists and drummers instead...much more fun.

To be fair the bass players I've met have been the most sincere, humble, coolest cats and not in the slightest bit flash or arrogant.

I heard that John Deacon despite all his wealth and to the amusement of his peers used to tat around in a Volvo estate, that kinda typifies it for me.

[quote name='StephenFerguson' timestamp='1351868009' post='1856400']
I think that typifies my idealised view of a bass player, the normal one surrounded by egotists. Excepting jean Simmons, the arse.
[/quote]

Are you absolutely SURE you meant Jean Simmons?

[url="http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2010/jan/24/jean-simmons-obituary"]http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2010/jan/24/jean-simmons-obituary[/url]

I am Spartacus!

[quote name='Blademan_98' timestamp='1351860770' post='1856272']
If only I looked like this :)
[/quote]

TBH the instrument I'm playing is less important than the energy of the band. Given a band with a similar on-stage level of performance (which has been nearly all the bands I've been in) I'd look and perform pretty much the same whether I was playing bass or guitar or keyboards.