Why become a member? ×

'New' (reissued?!) EBMM basses - Tony Levin SLEDGE Classic Ray and SABRE!!!

Musicman20

[sup]I cant believe this is happening, I never thought EB would do a vintage reissue let alone a Sabre. Will be really interesting to see options, price and just a better picture. I have serious Classic Singray GAS at the moment, might have to wait and see the new Sabre. [/sup][sup]The thing is, if they are Classic prices surely you can still pick up originals for about the same price or less??[/sup]

Edited by NJE

Not one, but 3 TL sigs then. The Sabre is the interesting one though. Of course to be TL correct the Sabre should be Black and fretless (carbon fibre neck too I think, or am I wrong in my anorakness?).

Edited by ezbass

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1351767704' post='1855048']
What's the difference between this and say the Classic 4? I hope they don't end up doing a Fender, putting out multiple models of the same product with different names and with varying degrees in price!

Good news about the Sabre though, nice they're going to bring it back.
[/quote]

Just the paint job from what I can see...but it may have some other changes.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1351767804' post='1855050']
Not one, but 3 TL sigs then. The Sabre is the interesting one though. Of course to be TL correct the Sabre should be Black and fretless (carbon fibre neck too I think, or am I wrong in my anorakness?).
[/quote]

The power of the anorak is strong in you.... In fact to be completely historically correct, it should be a reissue of a fretless Cutlass II.

Awaiting the onset of serious GAS with interest.

The Sabre in the picture looks to have concealed pick up poles. And the Stingray neck looks figured but with either a lighter coloured lacquer or no lacquer.

Colour looks great - interesting colour shift - like a version of mystic dream, only available on one guitar model?

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1351766931' post='1855033']
News here:

[url="http://forums.ernieball.com/music-man-basses/54787-tony-levin-sledge-stingray-classic.html"]http://forums.ernieb...ay-classic.html[/url]

Hell has frozen over....we have a Sabre reissue!
[/quote]

Please don't link to [i]that[/i] forum. It's not a nice place. Full of sycophantic fanboys and a couple of complete tyrants.

Wowser, Wowser, Wowser! ( Actually, not that wowser , because I don't like the colour and they will almost certainly be too heavy, but nevertheless...). I like to think that I can make an ordinary Stingray into a Tony Levin Signature model by wearing a swimming cap , a stick-on moustache and pretending to be much cleverer than I really am . In the privacy of my own home I can just about get away with it. Ernie Ball have now done more Music Man Special Editions than Status Quo have done Farewell Tours. No doubt these will go like hot cakes.

There's more info on Grand Central Music's site.

Colour spec looks very interesting - basically colour shifts to any one of five or six it appears! The selector switch appears to select different coil combinations from an HH Stingray (does an HS config?).

Not sure whether they come with a stick on moustache for November lol!!

It was expected. Peter Gabriel reissued a new digitally remastered album "So" which is getting good sales, Tony Levin played a sparkly Stingray on that album and tour.... long pause...

next thing you know Sterling Ball jumps on the bandwagon, and reissues a bunch of basses which brings nothing new to the industry other than colour combination and and the temporary resurrection of the discontinued Sabre.

It won't be long folks until we will see the Cutlass and Cutlass II reappear from Coachella.

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1351788322' post='1855443']

Is one of them a 3-string?
[/quote]TL doesn't use a 3 string now ever since he lost his to a fire. The TL range is Cutlass, 'Ray &'Ray5.

[quote name='matski' timestamp='1351770745' post='1855103']

The power of the anorak is strong in you.... In fact to be completely historically correct, it should be a reissue of a fretless Cutlass II.
[/quote] With THRAK sticker!

Edited by ezbass

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1351790923' post='1855490']
Why the excitement over the Sabre ?
[/quote]

Interesting bass. I've recently acquired one and was expecting something like the HH 'ray but it is a very different beast, and for my money a far superior instrument. I'm playing it fretless with a late 80's 'ray neck and it really does do pretty much every tone I could wish for, except that of a Ric fretless, which fortunately is covered by my other bass (a Ric fretless) :rolleyes:

Having spent about 4 weeks with it now, I'm amazed that MM stopped production when they did, although I suspect the reason would have been poor sales and I'd guess part of the reason for that was the Marmite aesthetics?

[attachment=122520:pdn.jpg]

Sledge package available through the Premier Dealer Network!
Build codes here:

SR4 Maple Board 120-SL-13-01
SR4 Rosewood Board 120-SL-15-01
SR5 Maple Board 215-SL-13-01
SR5 Rosewood Board 215-SL-15-01

Sabre Maple Board 101-SL-13-01
Sabre Rosewood Board 101-SL-15-01

These appear to be limited, for order in November only so if you want one, I'm guessing you'll have to order from one of the UK PDNs, which include Strings and Things (last time I looked!).

If the PDN get this, what version do GC get eventually..............maybe a natural??

Edited by drTStingray