Why become a member? ×

New Bass Day - Lakland Content

ezbass

So it is the happiest of times. Yes it's New Bass Day, yippee!

Last week saw me at The Bass Gallery trying out fivers for quite some time, at least 11 instruments and some of them more than once. The patience and friendliness of the guys went beyond the call of duty. So did I buy anything? No! Well not then anyway, I had to unload some of my stuff to finance/make room for anything new. Fortunately it all happened really fast thanks to the BC marketplace for one of the basses and my drummer for the other one, who is doing a puppy dog sale with it to his bass player in another band. So today I went back to The Bass Gallery and picked up this Lakland Skyline 5502 and very pleased I am with it too. Despite its modern looks the tones are quite old school (which I like). The preamp is very sweet and never gets unusable (at least on my PJ Cub) and the playability is the best of all the basses I tried, including some that were far more expensive, the B string is really good and I don't even notice the extra 1" in the scale length. The chaps at The Gallery did me a very nice deal so I splashed out on a good Protection Racket gigbag, which was also done at a good price. Anyway as any NBD thread is worthless without pics, I give you.......

Now for some more noodling (poor neighbours!).

I'll be using this through my gig rig at band rehearsal next week and hopefully the ensuing gig the following weekend.

[quote name='Prunesquallor' timestamp='1351614892' post='1853298']
Looks absolutely gorgeous!

Did you compare it against any Sandbergs, BTW?
[/quote]There were none to try it against. However, I did own a Basic PM4 up until Sunday. Those that were tried include; Sadowsky, MM Sterling & Stingray, Status, Dingwall, Warwick, Fender, Sei, G&L (x2). I think that's it, whatever, it was an extensive try out.

Lovely mate, congrats! I think a Lakland would definitely be my second choice after a Sandberg. Even the 55-01s are great, I A/B'd one against a 'Ray 5 earlier this year in GG, and for me the 55-01 won hands down. Weirdly though I really didn't like the Darryl Jones or 55-64(?) I tried..... Anyways, good score man, I hope you enjoy it!

Great looking bass. my first ever Lakland was a 5501, it looked very boring compared to your bass but it was a dream to play and sounded great.
I was almost tempted to get a 5502 earlier this year but couldn't afford it.

Enjoy.

Ive never had any issues with new gear at my house. Ive gone through all the colours of the rainbow and never have i heard mention of "is that new", "wasn't that a different colour" etc. I guess that's the plus side of having a partner who doesn't pay much attention to you lol.