Why become a member? ×

Micro Blender options?

Dood

Hey all - I have my trusty Boss LS-2 but I'd love to go down the 'Micro Blender' route, rather like this awesome little pedal, the One Control Mosquite Blender:

http://www.prymaxevintage.com/one-control-mosquite-blender-foot-switch/

The size is perfect as well as the wet/dry mix, phase switch and bypass button. What I would like on a pedal as well is not just a wet dry mix, but actually two level controls like the LS-2 so I can have a dry level boost cut as well as wet level boost cut.

Anyone know of a company making such a pedal? I appreciate even for these active pedals it's a squeeze for the few transistors - hopefully there's room for a few more or even someone out there making a SMT version? (tiny components, basically)

If not, i'll need to find a work around.

Look forward to hearing back from y'all!

Doooood

Heh heh!! Yup, I do want the world! :) I'm investigating the options to be honest. I've seen inside the Mosquite so I know that it's tight using discreet components. SMT would work, but cost may make it pointless for a one off - I don't know. The schematic is actually very simple.

Quick option may be to get in touch with Dave Hall, he brought out a micro blender recently and, depending on his circuit, I'd imagine switching from a blend control to two level controls might not be an issue.

[url="http://www.davehallamps.co.uk/page55a.html"]http://www.davehallamps.co.uk/page55a.html[/url]

Definitely a quick option and a possibility. My mate Andy suggest Dave Hall too. Great paint jobs, but I've never been a fan of the hand written stuff on the casing. That aside, no one would see it on the board anyway. Price is good, I might just ping him a message too!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1351524994' post='1852154']
I appreciate even for these active pedals it's a squeeze for the few transistors
[/quote]

Given all the hardware necessary for a looper (2 extra jacks over and above a 'standard' 1590a pedal) I'm amazed there's any space left for electronics at all :)

Interested to hear what you come up with.

It'd either be a stacked knob, or I would have a pair of sub-mini 'preset' surface mount type control put in.

It seems that pretty much everyone i have spoken to has given up the gauntlet to getting everything in to a small case, but I am chatting directly with One Control now instead. The Mosquite Blender looks pretty unbeatable at the moment. I will be back with more info' soon!

[quote name='TG Flatline' timestamp='1351531778' post='1852265']
Quick option may be to get in touch with Dave Hall, he brought out a micro blender recently and, depending on his circuit, I'd imagine switching from a blend control to two level controls might not be an issue.

[url="http://www.davehallamps.co.uk/page55a.html"]http://www.davehalla...uk/page55a.html[/url]
[/quote]

That looks very nice! And would easily do the job that most of us use an ls2 for! excellent price aswell!

+ 1 for SFX my loop/blender has the same but also a wet signal knob which is essential when going for synth type sounds.

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1351527394' post='1852202']
Cor, dont want much do you :)
My SFX FX loop mixer has two volume controls for each loop, plus a bypass....plus it powers other pedals like the TU-2/LS-2....but it's not a micro....or cheap lol

Si
[/quote]

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1354053109' post='1881539']
If you don't find what you're looking for you could compromise by turning the volume up a bit on the pedal in the loop and turning the blend down slightly if you wanted to achieve an overall volume boost with the blender engaged!
[/quote]

I think that is what I will have to do - but that wouldn't be able to boost the clean channel too. I am assuming that at the ends of the mix control's travel will be 100% dry counter-clockwise and 100% wet fully clockwise, without any additional gain when the pedal is engaged. I'd like to be able to do that, so the LS-2 may well stay for now, unless I can snag myself a Mosquite going cheap!

[quote name='EskimoBassist' timestamp='1354057357' post='1881637']
Ask him to do you one without the scrawls? Or repaint it!
[/quote]

Sadly, scrawls or no scrawls, Dave said that he would be unable to make such a pedal for me that could include the additional gain control in the same sized box. He was cool about it though.

I honestly don't think it can be done dude in an enclosure that small. The reason I went with Max at SFX for my custom blender is because nothing on the market did what I needed (a combination of 2 settings from the LS-2, but without me needing to turn the knob between them!) and importantly, 2 separate volume knobs!

• 2 weeks later...

I think looking at the cost of the OP blenders VS building something with the extra control, it's not going to be worth pursuing, which is a shame. I firmly believe that using SMT it'd be easy to fit the extra few components (and a couple of preset VRs instead of one large pot) in to the small enclosure. For example, you only have to look at the amount of 'stuff' crammed in to a Mooer pedals to get a feel for component count.

The Mosquite could be the way for now then! - If only my Audio interface didn't need replacing first lol!