Why become a member? ×

Renting a Bass

Clarebear68

The band I'm in have been offered a New years Eve Gig. If I have any problems with my amp or cabs, I can find a workaround (e.g. going through the PA etc) but I have the one bass guitar, so if that goes down for any reason I'm screwed. Does anyone know of anywhere in Manchester that rents out decent instruments?

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1351460208' post='1851489']
Awesome to hear you've been offered a New Year gig! I doubt your Ibanez will let you down mate, just make sure to put a fresh battery in it before the gig! :)
[/quote]
:) We've only done 3 gigs so far, so I was amazed they thought we were good enough to ask us to do it! :)
I have to admit it's been a brilliant bass to play and I've not had a single problem with it so far but it's the kind of gig that could lead to quite a few more if it goes well, so I'd rather not take any chances.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1351460301' post='1851493']
[url="http://www.johnnyroadhouse.co.uk/about-us"]http://www.johnnyroa....co.uk/about-us[/url]

Ox ford Rd., just along from the BBC.

"The department also features a comprehensive equipment hire service, serving the needs of touring bands and smaller gigs
throughout the city."
[/quote]

Cheers - I've not been in Johnny Roadhouse for years - I might have to pop in and have another look around :)

You guys must have really impressed them!
I understand that, best to have peace of mind than to worry about it I guess! :) I've not heard of any shops that rent out instruments, though it can't hurt to ask! Are there any nearby bass playing friends you could ask? Get them to come along to the gig and buy them a couple of pints as payment maybe ;)

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1351461652' post='1851519']
I've not heard of any shops that rent out instruments, though it can't hurt to ask![/quote]

That thought crossed my mind too, but the shop's been going for donkey's years & is highly respected by many musos so it wouldn't surprise me if they did hire more than backline.
Like many guitar shops these days they have a lot of fairly common gear that just isn't shifting.

The quote is from their site, but it may be an idea for the OP to give them a call first.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1351461652' post='1851519']
You guys must have really impressed them!
I understand that, best to have peace of mind than to worry about it I guess! :) I've not heard of any shops that rent out instruments, though it can't hurt to ask! Are there any nearby bass playing friends you could ask? Get them to come along to the gig and buy them a couple of pints as payment maybe ;)
[/quote]
Bearing in mind the band consists of a drummer and rhythm guitarist who had never gigged before and I hadn't played a gig since 2001 - I was surprised we were getting good feedback so quickly. Maybe we're better than I thought - or perhaps the venue's booker is easy to please! ;)

Unfortunately, the bassplayers I know all play 4 string, and seeing as I've not played a 4 string for 10 years or more I'd be a little nervous about switching back at short notice.

Thinking about it - I've never had a bass fail on me at a gig before so maybe I'm just being over cautious.

A cheaper alternative to a second Bass, if you're really worried about it, would be a tool kit including a gas powered soldering iron and associated stuff and screwdrivers and allen keys. Maybe some spare parts like a jack socket, certainly carry spare fuses for your amp. And a lamp/head torch to work by. This means that if someone else in the band has some kind of failure, you might be able to help them too.

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1351461649' post='1851518']
I've been playing for 35 years and I've never taken a spare bass to a gig and can't see that changing any time soon

I like to live on the edge :lol:
[/quote]

+1

Chillaxe dude. Your bass won't melt or explode on stage. I can 99.9% guarantee it.

I'll banjax your night.

Two years ago on a NYE gig my Ibanez E tuner broke as I was checking the tuning just before starting the first tune. Spent the first verse restringing the bass e-a, a-d and d-g, played the gig with no g string. Bit tricky.

I suspect someone will lend you a bass for the night on the assumption it stays in the case except in emergency. Or buy a £50 one off e-bay and sell it after the gig.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1351466185' post='1851581']
I'll banjax your night.

Two years ago on a NYE gig my Ibanez E tuner broke as I was checking the tuning just before starting the first tune. Spent the first verse restringing the bass e-a, a-d and d-g, played the gig with no g string. Bit tricky.

I suspect someone will lend you a bass for the night on the assumption it stays in the case except in emergency. Or buy a £50 one off e-bay and sell it after the gig.
[/quote]

you're the 00.1%

It would seem you want a spare bass to put your mind at rest as much as for any other reason, and as such if you don't have one on the night you may be worrying. unduly, buy worrying none the less.
As you will be playing more gigs you will have the same problem each time, so best bet is to buy an inexpensive back up just for your peace of mind, for this gig and future ones.
Plenty of inexpensive 5 string Ibbys on ebay.

Edited by Prosebass

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1351461649' post='1851518']
....I've been playing for 35 years and I've never taken a spare bass to a gig....
[/quote]

I've been playing longer and never had a bass fail on me.... ever. But then I do treat my gear with "kid gloves".

I've never broken a string but I carry a spare set. I also carry spare batteries (which I have needed twice), fuses (never used) and leads (used once).

I had an amp fail once, but in my experience you're likely to need a spare car rather than spare bass gear.

Edited by chris_b

I've been playing 25+ years and that was my first failure.

I've also broken a string (Back in '87. It was one that I'd boiled :blush: )
I've seen another bass player get a lead trapped under a door on the way to the stage and yank it out. Resulting in the plug being ripped off the end of the lead. He threw the lead and plug in the bin. Which I retrieved and soldered back together.
I've seen a keyboard player having to rest his foot on a power-strip to stop his keys from cutting out. :crazy: I fixed that with a screwdriver and wire-strippers before we went on.
I've had a drummer's fan causing really odd humming through the PA. Found he was plugged into an extension lead that his rabbit had chewed all the insulation off and he had repaired with insulation tape :crazy:
I've had a guitarist receive Taxi-calls on his amp during sound check. Sorted by cleaning the amp input jack.
I've had mysterious bangs and pops from the PA which were eventually traced to a dodgy DI.
The list goes on - the more gigs you do the more kit starts to fail and the more important it is to check your gear whenever you get a few moments.

This is an interesting topic! I think you could be being a little over cautious, but nothing wrong with covering every angle! I think it would be a good idea to buy a cheapish bass - just for a back up (and peace of mind!). You could always get it modified after, bang some decent pups in there..... If you were in Leeds/Bradford - I'd have lent you one of mine!